We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

best "fancy" restaurant/best off-the-beaten path

Which New Orleans hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
new jerz
Level Contributor
45 posts
24 reviews
Save Topic
best "fancy" restaurant/best off-the-beaten path

Hi all,

I will be in New Orleans for the first time for a few days in mid-March. If you had to choose only one of the "fancier" restaurants to dine at in the city, what would it be? My husband and I would like to do one no-holds-barred expensive meal - I have been reading a lot about Emeril's, Stella, August, and R'Evolution in this category. We are looking for food that's excellent but also showcases the city's culinary style, maybe a bit of a romantic atmosphere. Also I would like to stay away from the more touristy restaurants. Thoughts? Any other recs?

Also, I haven't done much research yet on off-the-beaten-path eateries, and i'm sure there are many, but if any of you locals have any recommendations for anything not to be missed, I'd appreciate that too.

Thanks!

Rax

North Carolina
Level Contributor
1,436 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: best "fancy" restaurant/best off-the-beaten path

I'd suggest Commander's Palace. Emeril's is very good and Stella is fantastic, but Commander's is a New Orleans showcase (I haven't eaten at August but it gets great reviews). I think Stella might be the most romantic of the ones you listed but Bayona is also romantic.

Touristy restaurants that are locally owned are also frequented by locals. I wouldn't work to hard to avoid those (other than the obvious Bubba Gump's, Margaritaville, Hard Rock Cafe--all perfectly fine but really just chains for tourists).

A little out of the way, but Parkway does great po-boys.

College Station...
Destination Expert
for New Orleans
Level Contributor
11,033 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: best "fancy" restaurant/best off-the-beaten path

There are MANY restaurants that would meet your criteria. Within the restaurants that showcase the City's culinary style, you would need to choose between the more traditional, or "cutting edge", or something in between. For me, if I could only choose one, and I wanted something that showcases the City's culinary style, and was in between traditional and "cutting edge", I'd start where Emeril started, Commander's Palace; it lives up to the hype. Keep in mind that all the "big names" are somewhat touristy, but many, such as Commander's, also have a large following of locals.

Orlando, FL
Level Contributor
644 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: best "fancy" restaurant/best off-the-beaten path

I ate at Commander's Palace last summer with several other people and I have to say we were all pretty disappointed. It definately did not live up to expectations except for the gumbo and bread pudding. I would give it another try if time permitted as I've never read anything negative about the restaurant. For me Galatoire's was much better than Commander's Palace.

Ipswich...
Level Contributor
592 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: best "fancy" restaurant/best off-the-beaten path

Everyone should do Commander's Palace once...it's a New Orleans institution. I also enjoy Coquette and Atchafalaya.

New Orleans...
Level Contributor
1,297 posts
129 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: best "fancy" restaurant/best off-the-beaten path

Commander's Palace was my pick for my b-day dinner last year but plans fell through due to Hurricane Isaac--I hope to try it soon though--I think it would be a great option for your "fancy" restaurant.

For an off the beaten path restaurant our all-time favorite is Katie's. Check out the clip about them on Youtube from when they were visited by Diners Drive-ins and Dives--that is what made me want to visit and we've been back twice since--also planning a visit next month! We are in love with The Boudreaux, which is discussed in the video

AR
Level Contributor
3,579 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: best "fancy" restaurant/best off-the-beaten path

Commander's or Galatoire's for best/fancy.

East Village, New...
Level Contributor
364 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: best "fancy" restaurant/best off-the-beaten path

One more vote for Commander's Palace.

New Orleans
Level Contributor
85 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: best "fancy" restaurant/best off-the-beaten path

Eh, not so crazy about Commander's. Emeril's is always good, as is Restaurant August, Bayona..so many others.

Off the beaten path...someone already mentioned Katie's. Right down the street from Katie's is Liuzza's (not Liuzza's by the Track). Worth the trip there just to get a frozen Bushwacker, onion rings and a Frenchuletta. We've sent many out of town friends there and they LOVE it.

Colorado
Level Contributor
405 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: best "fancy" restaurant/best off-the-beaten path

Try Lilette, Clancy's or Herbsaint as they are all fairly fancy and off the beaten path. Clancy's the most off the beaten path.

kentucky
Level Contributor
94 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: best "fancy" restaurant/best off-the-beaten path

Louisiana Bistro on Dauphine would qualify as "off the beaten path". It's great!