We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Planning a first trip - Girls weekend... Hotels? Bars?

Miami, Florida
2 posts
2 reviews
Save Topic
Planning a first trip - Girls weekend... Hotels? Bars?

Hello!

I'm planning a trip for a girls weekend in New Orleans for the first week of June 2013 (about 6 of us). It's my first time and wanted to get some advice on best/safest places to stay, must see things, best restaurants and bars... We're all about 28 years old, and are looking to spend the day time exploring the city, maybe sit by the pool, try out the food scene... And at night will want to go to bars and pubs (maybe a club if it's worth it).. Any suggestions? If there are any 2 bedroom type suites a hotel offers that would be a plus, and also I was wondering if a rental car is needed.

Thanks!

AR
Level Contributor
3,593 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Planning a first trip - Girls weekend... Hotels? Bars?

A rental car is definitely NOT needed. It will cost more to park it than you will gain by renting one. (@$30 a night) If you stay in the French Quarter, you can walk to anywhere you want to go. If you want to explore other areas, you can take a streetcar, bus, pedicab or cab very inexpensively. To begin your search for hotels, etc. go to neworleansonline.com which will give you lists of hotels, maps, restaurants, things to do, a calendar of events, coupons, etc. You can also order/download a Visitor's Guide from that site. I would also go to the Top Questions at the top, right side of this page and read through those questions/answers. Then come back to this forum with more specific questions. You will have a great time.

Moncton, Canada
Level Contributor
6,409 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Planning a first trip - Girls weekend... Hotels? Bars?

There aren't 2 bedroom suites hotel in the French Quarter, which is where you definitely want to stay. Your optoin will be a suite that will have a pull out sofa.

Hotel prices start to fall in June as it's the start of the low season, so you can probably find 2 rooms for not to expensive. Are you looking for more of a cookie cutter hotel with the usual amenities, or a boutique style hotel that may lack in the "usual" amenities, but makes up for it with loads of character?

Orlando, Florida
Destination Expert
for New Orleans
Level Contributor
6,680 posts
123 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Planning a first trip - Girls weekend... Hotels? Bars?

I see you are very new to trip advisor...please use the search feature here and also the topics listing and that should get you started and bring a lot os more specific questions we'd be glad to help you with.

Missouri
Level Contributor
1,047 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Planning a first trip - Girls weekend... Hotels? Bars?

Hotel Ste Marie has rooms with two beds. You may be able to get adjacent rooms which would make it easy to visit. You might want to see if the have adjacent rooms with street balconies so you could visit outside in the mornings and evenings.

Moline, Illinois
Level Contributor
360 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Planning a first trip - Girls weekend... Hotels? Bars?

I agree with staying either in the French Quarter or as close as possible to stay in your budget (whatever that might be). You won't need a car - we drive to NOLA and park our car and don't move it until we leave and it costs anywhere from $20 to $30 a day to park.

The first thing I do when planning a trip is to book the hotel. If you have a question between a couple of them, feel free to ask the helpful folks on this forum (or floks, if you will). Then start reading the forums and reviews on all of the bars / restaurants / activities in the area to see what looks good. Also read any trip reports that are posted on the forums because they are a great way to learn about the area.

You will have no problem staying busy just tripping around the Quarter on your first trip, especially if you are only going to be there for a weekend, so don't worry about planning too much. You will have a blast!

Dallas, Texas...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
23,494 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Planning a first trip - Girls weekend... Hotels? Bars?

Look into staying at the Biscuit Palace Guesthouse. It is an old Creole Mansion. Their rooms are around a small but pretty central courtyard (gated) and some have balconies. Each room is a "suite" and several have a regular bed and a trundle day bed (the type where one bed pulls out from under neath to create two completely separate beds". You could get two suites there and hang out in the courtyard, or in one of your suites.

Each suite has a kitchenette, which is nice. You can make your own cocktails, have snacks, etc. It's right next to the far end of Bourbon Street, but it's still an active part so safe. It is relatively quiet.

This is not a modern glitzy place and there is no pool, but it is very "New Orleans" I've stayed there twice. http://www.biscuitpalace.com/ They are very affordable (though, like any hotel, prices fluctuate with demand)

College Station...
Destination Expert
for New Orleans
Level Contributor
12,088 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Planning a first trip - Girls weekend... Hotels? Bars?

There are several guest house type accommodations that offer a combination of bedrooms and sitting room, such as the Biscuit Palace mentioned above. Another would be Gentry House. Several of the hotels offer two bedroom suites, or one bedroom suites with an adjoining guest room, but they are typically very expensive.

Miami, Florida
2 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Planning a first trip - Girls weekend... Hotels? Bars?

Thank you for all the advice!

I guess I'm looking more for an authentic NO trip so I don't need a modern hotel... I've been doing lots of research on here and online in general. I guess I just wanted to see if people would recommend the typical tourist restaurants I see listed online.

9. Re: Planning a first trip - Girls weekend... Hotels? Bars?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 March 2014, 05:17