We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Plantation tour with slave quarters?

Phila., PA
Level Contributor
329 posts
105 reviews
Save Topic
Plantation tour with slave quarters?

We would like to do a plantation tour, but only have time for one. However, we would like to see one with slave quarters for the "full story". Which one would people recommend? I know Evergreen seems to have a number of slave quarters, but the house itself gets mixed reviews.

Thanks!

Magic Tours
Sightseeing Tours
Flambeaux Bicycle Tours
Sightseeing Tours, Bike Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours, City Tours, Cultural Tours
Missouri
Level Contributor
1,050 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Plantation tour with slave quarters?

See the "Want to visit a plantation with an unbiased ........." on this very same page.

Phila., PA
Level Contributor
329 posts
105 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Plantation tour with slave quarters?

Can't believe I missed that one! Saw right after I posted and could not delete. Thanks - had the answer I was looking for

Birmingham, AL
Level Contributor
2,326 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Plantation tour with slave quarters?

I think you'll find that Laura Plantation fits your description.

Delaware
Level Contributor
460 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Plantation tour with slave quarters?

We LOVED our tour of the Laura Plantation, which included slave quarters as well as the main house. Our tour guide was very informative and gave us tons of interesting information. I don't think you can go wrong here.

San Jose, Costa Rica
Level Contributor
263 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Plantation tour with slave quarters?

I've just visited and took Laura and Houmas tours, also this time I walked around Oak Alley (same price for walking around the gardens) because I took this tour among SF plantation 9 years ago and had limited time.

As everybody mentioned in this forum Laura is the best tour, but IMO Oak Alley is a must to do because of the beauty of the Oaks in front of the house, really close to Laura and you can visit it without taking the tour ($20)

Lebanon, Tennessee
Level Contributor
86 posts
77 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Plantation tour with slave quarters?

Laura plantation is what you will want to see. They have slave cabins, copies posted of the code noir, a list showing how they place a value on the heads of each slave, and a story of papa Phillip an old slave that tried to run away. Very touching. It evokes sadness and anger. My husband does not like history but he enjoyed this tour.

Ga
Level Contributor
1,029 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Plantation tour with slave quarters?

We've only been to Laura and Destrehan.

Of the two, I felt that Destrehan gave the more unbiased view.

Destrehan Plantation hosted the notorious St. Charles Parish Tribunal, which executed 18 of the slaves involved in the 1811 German Coast Uprising, the largest slave revolt in American history. There is an exhibit/museum of this event that would make anyone with an ounce of feeling mad as h*ll and sad at the same time.

Mentioned in this post
Destrehan Plantation
Destrehan Plantation
451 Reviews
Destrehan, LA
8. Re: Plantation tour with slave quarters?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 March 2014, 05:17