We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

1st time in NOLA -- in July! Planning to EAT and Drink

Which New Orleans hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Corona, California
Level Contributor
12 posts
1 review
Save Topic
1st time in NOLA -- in July! Planning to EAT and Drink

Wife and I are celebrating completing a 60 day juice fast by endulging with all that New Orleans has to offer. Booked a room at the Hotel Villa Convento in the FQ but I only have a few questions.

Since we're going to be there in July (which I understand it rains), does it rain enough that we need to pack jackets and warm clothes or should we not even bother?

I've read and read most threads and have seen some comments that state "we felt safe down this street" as to note that in some areas safety is an issue. Can we walk around with our camera or should we be concerned?

Are taxis pretty common? I imagine we're going to need a taxi from the airport to the hotel and back..or should we just spring for the rental?

Lastly, i've read that some places actually close down because it's out of Oyster Season. Will we be experiencing a lot of closures in July because of this?

Thanks in advance for any replies

Eric

Toronto, Ontario...
Level Contributor
11,060 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 1st time in NOLA -- in July! Planning to EAT and Drink

Hey Eric, warm clothes will be one of the last things you'll need in July! I wouldn't be overly concerned with safety unless you're out in the wee hours and overindulged in alcohol. That's not to say you shouldn't be cautious, but I've been to NOLA 10+ times and have carried a camera everywhere in the Quarter. The area you're in is a residential, relatively quiet one (same area we always stay) and I love it!

DON'T get a rental. If you're staying in the Quarter, just take a cab. Everything in the Quarter and surrounding areas is walkable. Pedicabs are also available. I've never heard of restaurants shutting down coz oysters are out of season. I'd be interested to know where you read that.

Last but not least, don't end a "juice fast" with a trip to NOLA to eat and drink. The food is rich and the drinks are powerful. You don't want to spend half your vacation in the bathroom.

Edited: 05 March 2013, 12:44
Level Contributor
483 posts
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: 1st time in NOLA -- in July! Planning to EAT and Drink

The only restaurant I know that closes in June, July and August is Casamento's Uptown.

AR
Level Contributor
3,579 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 1st time in NOLA -- in July! Planning to EAT and Drink

I have lived in the Quarter for nine years and visited innumerable times before that over a twenty year period. I have a very cautious view that feeling safe and being safe are two different items. You can walk most anywhere in New Orleans during the day, however, use caution, as you would in any city, at night. Don't flash a lot of cash at any time , guard credit cards carefully, don't wear flashy jewelry, I advise ladies to not carry purses, and I don't use an expensive cell phone on the streets. Pick pockets and snatchers can be somewhat of a problem in the Quarter. Though some folks have come here for years and never been bothered, others are. Often these incidents are not reported and the police have many other concerns rather than people who aren't as cautious as they should be. One should not be paranoid, but cautious. The neighborhood around Villa Convento is considered to be safe, but it is a residential area and there won't be a lot of people about in the late evening, again caution is advised. Yes, there will be showers in July, however, the rain will be warm...no warm clothes needed. An umbrella or a plastic pancho will suffice. Other than Casamento's, restaurants do not close in the summer. The cab fare for 1-2 people from the airport to Villa Convento is $33 plus tip. They are lined up outside the area where you will collect your luggage at the airport. You can walk anywhere in the Quarter, Marigny, CBD, Treme from Villa or use a pedicab/cab to take you to the location. If you decide to go outside those areas, you can again use pedcab/cab or bus/streetcar ($1.25 each way) depending on where you want to go. A car is actually a liability and will cost more than the other means of transportation I've listed.. If you have not already, you might go to neworleansonline.com for restaurants, things to do, maps, coupons, a calendar odf events, etc. You can order/download a very useful Visitor's Guide from that site. You will have a grand time in New Orleans. Welcome.

College Station...
Destination Expert
for New Orleans
Level Contributor
11,033 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 1st time in NOLA -- in July! Planning to EAT and Drink

Very well stated skt.

As relates to weather, the July rain usually takes the form of mid to late afternoon light showers. No need for anything that even resembles warm clothes. Bring an umbrella. I find that a very light weight unlined breathable fabric (important) windbreaker type rain jacket, that can be folded up into a purse or other satchel, comes in handy. But if you aren't bothered by the wet, you certainly don't need to worry about the cold or even cool in July.

Corona, California
Level Contributor
12 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: 1st time in NOLA -- in July! Planning to EAT and Drink

Wonderful responses! Thank you so much.

Hermicane: the juice fast will end in April. We fly to Peru for a couple of weeks and will have a month at least to recuperate before new Orleans :)

Wife and i are very excited!

San Jose, California
Destination Expert
for California
Level Contributor
14,926 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: 1st time in NOLA -- in July! Planning to EAT and Drink

In July, when it rains, you will be happy to have a release from the oppressive heat and humidity. It will be hot and when the storm clouds start brewing, everybody looks at the sky, waiting for those cooling drops to start falling. If you can find a place to sit out under some cover or inside near a window with a nice view outside, one of the best things on earth is to relax with a drink and watch the rain fall.

Toronto, Ontario...
Level Contributor
11,060 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 1st time in NOLA -- in July! Planning to EAT and Drink

Eric...glad to hear you'll be re-building your tolerance to food and drink BEFORE hitting NOLA! :) You'll have an amazing time!

Corona, California
Level Contributor
12 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: 1st time in NOLA -- in July! Planning to EAT and Drink

Thanks again!

Unfortunately, we're only going to be here for 3 days. I have a list of restaurants I want to try just from what I'm reading.

Dragos or Acme Oyster House for Oysters

Cafe Du Monde for some Beignets

Breakfast at Stanley's

Lunch at Katie's

visit the WWII Museum and see Beyond all Boundaries

Visit Bourbon St

Visit Jackson Square

Go to the Frenchmen st one night to take in a night of music and drinking

possibly take a Cajun Pride Tour

Do you think we'll have enough time?

College Station...
Destination Expert
for New Orleans
Level Contributor
11,033 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: 1st time in NOLA -- in July! Planning to EAT and Drink

By 3 days are you referring to 1 full day and two partial days (2 nights), 3 nights (2 full days and 2 partial days), or 3 full days and 2 partial days (4 nights)?

Corona, California
Level Contributor
12 posts
1 review
Save Reply
10. Re: 1st time in NOLA -- in July! Planning to EAT and Drink

I mean, Arriving Thursday evening and departing Sunday afternoon...

1/2 of Thursday

Friday

Saturday

1/2 of Sunday

3 days!