We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Seeking Ideas for Historic Houses / Museums to visit

North Caroiina
Level Contributor
1,019 posts
65 reviews
Save Topic
Seeking Ideas for Historic Houses / Museums to visit

Returning to NOLA after a 30 year hiatus. As an adult with a spouse, I am planning on different types of attractions and activities compared to my college years!!!

The spouse is very interested in historic/period houses. We are mostly interested in things within NO (we will stay in FQ) but could be lured beyond the city limits to see houses/plantations that are of special historic interest (we have access to a car).

Merci mes amis

Mentioned in this post
Nola Restaurant
Nola Restaurant
3,344 Reviews
New Orleans, LA
Special Offer
French Quarter History Tour with Cafe...
7 Reviews
from US$28.99*
US$32.00
Special Offer
French Quarter History and Ghost...
35 Reviews
from US$14.00*
US$25.00
New Orleans French Quarter Walking...
43 Reviews
from US$25.00*
Schulenburg, Texas
Level Contributor
1,954 posts
42 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Seeking Ideas for Historic Houses / Museums to visit

My DH and I toured the Hermann Grima House (820 St. Louis St.) this past October. During that month, it was set to depict the mourning period of the early 1800's and was very interesting. I think it would be a good choice to tour at any time of the year, though, particularly since your wife is interested in historic homes. Our guide's name was Lindsey and her one hour presentation was well delivered. It was informal enough to allow questions and comments while she maintained professional poise.

Mentioned in this post
Hermann-Grima House
Hermann-Grima House
279 Reviews
New Orleans, LA
AR
Level Contributor
3,603 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Seeking Ideas for Historic Houses / Museums to visit

I second the Hermann-Grima House on St. Louis and you might want to add the Beaurgard-Keyes House at 1113 Chartres and the Gallier House at 1132 Royal. The Historic New Orleans Collection and Williams Research Center at 533 Royal has wonderful exhibits and

of course, the WWII museum, as well as, the Art Museum at City Park are well worth seeing. You might want to go to neworleansonline.com and check out the "things to do" section, as well as, the museum, historic home,tour portion of the site. This site also has maps, coupons, restaurant lists, hotel lists, a calendar of events. You can download/order a Visitor's Guide that is valuable for your purposes.

Mentioned in this post
Hermann-Grima House
Hermann-Grima House
279 Reviews
New Orleans, LA
Gallier House
Gallier House
72 Reviews
New Orleans, LA
New Orleans
New Orleans
Louisiana
New Orleans City Park
New Orleans City Park
3,761 Reviews
New Orleans, LA
Indianapolis
Level Contributor
932 posts
78 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Seeking Ideas for Historic Houses / Museums to visit

Definately don't pass up the WWII musuem! And although the Old Ursuline Convent isn't exactly a house I would reccomend taking the self tour of it also. I also agree with taking a visit to the Hermann-Grima House. I love being in those old historic houses and just feeling like I can picture what it was like in 1850.

Mentioned in this post
Hermann-Grima House
Hermann-Grima House
279 Reviews
New Orleans, LA
San Jose, California
Destination Expert
for California
Level Contributor
17,177 posts
116 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Seeking Ideas for Historic Houses / Museums to visit

The 1850 House an Beauregard-Keyes House are good choices too - both are in the FQ

Mentioned in this post
Beauregard-Keyes House
Beauregard-Keyes House
267 Reviews
New Orleans, LA
Missouri
Level Contributor
1,050 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Seeking Ideas for Historic Houses / Museums to visit

You can take the St Charles Streetcar to get off at Washington Street and take a self-guided tour of the beautiful Garden District houses:  http://www.frommers.com/destinations/neworleans/0020020034.html

Although you are not able to go into the houses, it is a good sampling of some beautiful old houses, actually quite varied and includes a couple of shotgun houses.

Mentioned in this post
Garden District
Garden District
7,514 Reviews
New Orleans, LA
Louisiana
Level Contributor
304 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Seeking Ideas for Historic Houses / Museums to visit

I second the recommendations of the previous posts. You will enjoy touring all of those homes. But, if possible, take a break and venture outside of New Orleans for a couple of hours to visit a plantation. My favorite is Houmas House, which is probably an hour outside of the city It is a classic plantation with beautiful oak lined gardens plus a great little cafe on the grounds for lunch. The tour of the house is entertaining. Ask for Judy the tour guide who gives a wonderful tour and sings. . There are also several other plantations in the area that you can ride past or tour. Enjoy your visit.

Mentioned in this post
New Orleans
New Orleans
Louisiana
North Caroiina
Level Contributor
1,019 posts
65 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Seeking Ideas for Historic Houses / Museums to visit

Wow, six responses in two hours. You're faster than the Paris forum and no snarkiness!!

Just what I was after. Thanks.

little rock arkansas
Destination Expert
for Little Rock, Arkansas
Level Contributor
3,337 posts
290 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Seeking Ideas for Historic Houses / Museums to visit

Don't overlook the periodic charity tours which open private historic homes to the public to benefit charities. I went on a tour of Treme houses last fall which was really amazing. They are more interesting to me than museum houses as they reflect the interests, collections and lifestyle of current New Orleans families. They are hard to find on New Orleans tourism calendars so I usually do a google search before I leave home and always check the New Orleans newspapers for articles about events when I arrive. The prices vary from affordable up and the homes vary but are usually interesting. Here are a few of these coming up.

New Orleans Spring Fiesta - A Cultural Heritage Festival

Tours of French Quarter private homes

www.springfiesta.com/ (THIS WEEK)

Secret Gardens Tour

Saturday, March 23, 2013
8:30 a.m. to 5:30 p.m.

http://www.secretgardenstour.org/

Shotgun House and Art Tour

Saturday, April 6
10 a.m. to 4 p.m.

http://www.prcno.org/events/calendar/1261

Mentioned in this post
The Treme Hotel
The Treme Hotel
143 Reviews
New Orleans, LA
New Orleans
New Orleans
Louisiana
French Quarter
French Quarter
18,464 Reviews
New Orleans, LA
Orlando, Florida
Destination Expert
for New Orleans
Level Contributor
6,712 posts
123 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Seeking Ideas for Historic Houses / Museums to visit

Thereis also the cabildo andthe presbytre and checkout the multiple museum discount tickets.

San Jose, California
Destination Expert
for California
Level Contributor
17,177 posts
116 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Seeking Ideas for Historic Houses / Museums to visit

We are (almost) all way too happy on this board for any snarkiness - thats what a love for NOLA does for a person :-)

Mentioned in this post
Nola Restaurant
Nola Restaurant
3,344 Reviews
New Orleans, LA