We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bourbon Orleans

Which New Orleans hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
SD
Level Contributor
269 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Bourbon Orleans

I have booked a room at the Bourbon Orleans. We can upgrade to a balcony for $135. Is there much to see from the balconies at the Bourbon Orleans?

Four Points Sheraton was our second choice. Any opinions on the two?

Paris, France
Level Contributor
6,833 posts
118 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Bourbon Orleans

You will see masses of drunken tourists flowing up and down Bourbon St. and a couple of old buildings nearby.

What you will hear is another matter - it is very, very noisy in those balcony rooms. Nearby bars blast music until the wee hours. If that might bother you, the Sheraton would be a much better choice.

Kansas City
Level Contributor
5,990 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Bourbon Orleans

I strongly disagree that the Sheraton is a better choice, if the Sheraton referred to is the one on Canal. That is a mediocre hotel, (IMHO), and is not in the French Quarter.

Sheraton has a French Quarter property, Four Points by Sheraton, that is a couple of blocks up Bourbon. To clarify, balcony rooms on Bourbon street are noisy, (would anyone in their right mind expect anything different?), but that is the trade-off for having a balcony to watch from. Either hotel, (Bourbon Orleans and Four Points), have many interior rooms that are not noisy at all.

Most visitors really prefer to stay in the FQ. If you were considering a balcony room, you probably already know that.

You can't go wrong with either the Bourbon Orleans or the Four Points. I have stayed in both and they are equally nice. Balcony rooms and even street view rooms without a balcony are noisy but it is fun to be in the middle of things.

Orlando, FL
Level Contributor
657 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Bourbon Orleans

I've never stayed here but the hotel website states there is a balcony with a view of the St. Louis Cathedral; now that would be a beautiful view. It probably would be pretty noisy though. If you have any light sleepers in the group I would say your better off getting an interior room.

College Station...
Destination Expert
for New Orleans
Level Contributor
11,178 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Bourbon Orleans

The are balconies, and then there are balconies. Actually, architecturally, most large balconies supported by columns below are more properly referred to galleries, but I digress.

There are street adjoining balconies (can make for a noisy room but great people watching) and courtyard balconies (typically less noise but also less interesting). There are private balconies and communal (shared with occupants of other rooms) balconies. There are balconies with barely room enough for two standing people, balconies upon which you can host a rather large party, and everything in between. Some balconies are furnished with just two chairs, others with table(s) and many chairs, and still others not furnished at all. Bourbon Orleans has most all of these balcony types; you need to read the fine print or inquire in person to assure your expectations will not be disappointed.

Much to everyone's confusion, the hotel formerly known as Ramada Plaza Hotel/The Inn on Bourbon is now known as Four Points by Sheraton French Quarter (not the same as the Sheraton New Orleans on Canal St.).

I like both Four Points and Bourbon Orleans. Both are well located, although many would consider Bourbon Orleans to have a slightly more child friendly location. Four Points has slightly newer furnishings and finishes, but Bourbon Orleans is not though to be deficient in this regard.

Edited: 08 March 2013, 20:09
AR
Level Contributor
3,580 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Bourbon Orleans

Both hotels are nice and have great people watching from their balconies..Of course, there are lots of places to people watch in New Orleans...most bars have french doors/windows opening onto the street, Jackson Square is excellent for people watching, as is the riverfront area, many restaurants/bars have outdoor/sidewalk seating...but if you want to watch Bourbon and have a drink and your own bathroom nearby then either hotel is great. I live on Bourbon, don't have a balcony, but two huge opening windows facing the street and it is a free, live movie every day and night! It is people watching to the MAX and not all of them are drunk! Only you can decide if the $135 is worth it.

SD
Level Contributor
269 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Bourbon Orleans

Thanks for all of the input. Think I will stick with Bourbon Orleans.

maryland
Destination Expert
for Baltimore
Level Contributor
2,133 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Bourbon Orleans

Just stayed at the Bourbon Orleans and we had a room facing the courtyard. Not noisy at all and I can not say enough about the service you get. The location is outstanding and after our stay this is my new favorite hotel in New Orleans.I have never stayed at the Four Points but from what I have observed it is wonderful and I don't think you would be unhappy with either choice.

Having said all this your choice of a bourbon street balcony will bring some good/bad points depending on what you are looking for.

Destination Expert
for New Orleans
Level Contributor
7,705 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Bourbon Orleans

I have stayed at both hotels. They are both very nice, you can't go wrong with either of them, but I had a slight preference for Bourbon Orleans. We had a very nice, first floor room overlooking the pool area, which was beautiful. The lobby area is gorgeous, and I love knowing the fascinating history of the Bourbon Orleans. I haven't had a balcony room at either of the hotels.

Kansas City
Level Contributor
5,990 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Bourbon Orleans

Good friends mine always stay at Four Points with a Bourbon Street balcony. While they do say it is noisy at night, it is a lot of fun. Personally I like the location of Bourbon Orleans a little better, the balcony my friend always gets at FP is big, has table and chairs and it a great place to party. The shared balconies have some pluses and minuses too as your experience is affected by your neighbors who share the balcony. I don't think the BO balconies are as wide. i only see people on those standing and throwing beads.

Tulsa, Oklahoma
Level Contributor
1,649 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Bourbon Orleans

The Bourbon Orleans is perfect for exploring the Quarter.

Mike in Tulsa