We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

October visit -- question #1

Newberg, Oregon
Level Contributor
6,063 posts
389 reviews
Save Topic
October visit -- question #1

We will be visiting NOLA in October and have several questions. Will ask them in separate posts to avoid confusion with answers.

We are planning a Bourbon Street pub crawl one night (early start) and have up to 7 bars on our list. (Preservation Hall, Rock-n-Bowl and Frenchman Street are scheduled for other nights).

Lafitte's Blacksmith Shop, Krazy Korner (love zydeco) and Pat O'Brien's are definite. I'd appreciate your preferential ranking of our other choices: Funky Pirate, Fritzl's, Topical Isle and Maison Bouchon.

Thanks for your help -- I doubt if we can do all 7. Even 4 or more may be doubtful, but at least we can prioritize depending on how well we hold up. Plan to start at Lafitte's and finish at Pat's.

Moncton, Canada
Level Contributor
6,364 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: October visit -- question #1

Maison Bourbon and Fritzel's both have Dixieland type jazz, so you could cut one of those out. My fav of the 2 is Maison Bourbon.

And I'd save Funky Pirate for when you can spend some time there. They have great musicians, and is always a good time.

Newberg, Oregon
Level Contributor
6,063 posts
389 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: October visit -- question #1

Thank you. Yes, meant Maison Bourbon -- don't know where Bouchon came from?? Must have had Thomas Keller's Napa Valley restaurant in my subconscious.

College Station...
Destination Expert
for New Orleans
Level Contributor
11,549 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: October visit -- question #1

The Tropical Isle on Bourbon St at Orleans Ave has a second floor (Top of the Trop) with balcony. The balcony is typically not crowded and has a great view of both upper and lower Bourbon St and the back of St Louis Cathedral. After refusing to drink a Handgrenade for many years because it was just too damn touristy, a discovered I liked them and now have 1 or 2 during each NOLA visit. Since the band (no cover) is downstairs and the stairway is not real obvious, the upstairs bar usually has plenty of avaiable seating and is a great place for a meetup. The upstairs may not be open daytime during the week, and is very occasionally booked for a private party; you call call the number on the website a couple days in advance to confirm it will be open to the public.

AR
Level Contributor
3,583 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: October visit -- question #1

For great Cajun music and 3 for 1 Happy Hour on Bourbon, go to VooDoo Vibe in the 300 block....I would especially add VooDoo Vibe if you are not doing your Burbon crawl on a Thur-Sun and if Dwayne Dopsie is not playing at Krazy Korner.

Bellingham
Level Contributor
4 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: October visit -- question #1

Lafittes and The Funky Pirate are on the same block so you really should hit both at the same time - well, concurrently. :-)

Schulenburg, Texas
Level Contributor
1,828 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: October visit -- question #1

Just to clarify, RedGrace...The Funky Pirate and Lafitte's are a few blocks apart....both on Bourbon St., though. Lafitte's is lower Quarter... Both are great places.

7. Re: October visit -- question #1

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 March 2014, 06:17