We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

October visit -- question #2

Newberg, Oregon
Level Contributor
6,095 posts
389 reviews
Save Topic
October visit -- question #2

We will be visiting NOLA in October and have several questions. Will ask them in separate posts to avoid confusion with answers.

We plan to take the Algiers Ferry from Canal Street one morning. Is the view of the French Quarter and downtown area the big attraction, or are there other sights we shouldn't miss when we get to the other side? Would like to know how much else to plan for that day. One of our party has severe knee and hip problems and can't walk far. Not sure if he will be able to bring his motorized scooter from Oregon.

Moncton, Canada
Level Contributor
6,396 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: October visit -- question #2

There's nothing to visit per say in Algiers and since you have a someone who has mobility issues, I wouldn't plan any time there. There is a restaurant just off the ferry, the Dry Dock Cafe, so you could go over, have lunch, and take the ferry back.

Newberg, Oregon
Level Contributor
6,095 posts
389 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: October visit -- question #2

Thanks. Tenttive plans called for breakfast at Red Gravy. Algiers Ferry, then shopping at French Market, lunch at SoBou (25 cent drinks on Fridays, I'm told)....

Steamboat Natchez and WWII Museum (package deal) set for another day.

Birmingham, AL
Level Contributor
2,325 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: October visit -- question #2

I beg to differ and think Algiers is a lovely area, especially Rosetree Glass http://www.rosetreegallery.com/, but it would not be easy for someone with mobility issues. I might suggest riding over and riding back without even bothering to get off if they don't require it.

Moncton, Canada
Level Contributor
6,396 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: October visit -- question #2

Soulcat, you're absolutely right. But I was thinking for someone with mobility issues, rather save the walking for other areas. I certaintly didn't mean to diss Algiers. :-)

AR
Level Contributor
3,592 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: October visit -- question #2

SoBou has 25 cent martinis (choice of three) on weekdays at lunch from 11:00-2:00...Antoine's has them M-Sat at lunch and Adelaide's (just out of the Quarter has them for .25 on M-F, as does Commander's Palace. Not all drinks or even other drinks...just martinis.

6. Re: October visit -- question #2

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 11 March 2014, 06:17