We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

October visit -- question #3

Which New Orleans hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Newberg, Oregon
Level Contributor
5,976 posts
376 reviews
Save Topic
October visit -- question #3

We will be visiting NOLA in October and have several questions. Will ask them in separate posts to avoid confusion with answers.

We're considering doing acouple tours to get overviews of the city and surrounding sights. The Southern Style Tours looks like what we're looking for and I notice they cover the Garden District. We also are looking at Racontours GD tour (includes lunch at Commander's Palace). Does anyone know how much overlap of the GD there is on the 2 tours? If Southern Style covers a fair amount, I'm thinking $90 would buy a VERY nice lunch at CP. We are staying in the GD so would walking the area on our own suffice rather than paying for a formal tour?

Moncton, Canada
Level Contributor
6,327 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: October visit -- question #3

Not familiar with those tours, but here's a link to a self walking tour of the Garden District that might help answer your questions.

frommers.com/destinations/…0020020034.html

Birmingham, AL
Level Contributor
2,324 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: October visit -- question #3

Southern Style Tours 3 hour city tour is a great tour for an overview of New Orleans. They've run Groupons several times, so keep your eyes open, it COULD happen again.

I'm not familar with the Garden District tour you've mentioned, but since you're staying there, I think a self guided tour would work and as you've mentioned, the money you saved would buy a really nice lunch.

If you're a movie fan the New Orleans Movie Tour http://www.nolamovies.com/ is fun and covers lots of area; although the emphasis is on the movies and not sightseeing.

AR
Level Contributor
3,579 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: October visit -- question #3

Just to add to your "$90 very nice lunch at Commander's"....if you go to their website, you will see they have lunch specials and 25 cent martinis on M-F...The specials usually begin at $16.

Newberg, Oregon
Level Contributor
5,976 posts
376 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: October visit -- question #3

I understand they limit you to three of the 25 cent martinis. But then I can be generous and leave a 33% tip!

Duncan, Oklahoma
Level Contributor
45 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: October visit -- question #3

Hello OJ,

From time to time you encounter a person who is doing what they were born to do. Tree who owns and operates Racontours is such a person. I have been to NOLA a number of times and rarely do any kind of organized tour anymore, but last September I wanted to do something special for my birthday. Tree's tour of the GD encompasses history, musicians, writers, the immigration patterns of how the city was settled and how war and industry (sugar production) shaped the city. He has done his homework and has been historically accurate on topics I have pursued further. After the tour the lunch is in a private room where he continues to discuss the food and how the preparations are influenced by the climate and native products. (There is also a surprise in the private room which I will not reveal here.). After lunch you get a tour of Commander's Palace - all the rooms, the wine cellars, the garden and a history of the Brennan family. Tree is personable and entertaining and a fine host. Also, as usual, the service at CP was impeccable. I think I got back to the hotel about 4pm. It was a great day!

I took Tree's VooDoo tour on another day, which was also fabulous, but completely different. Both tours are highly recommended!

Birmingham, AL
Level Contributor
2,324 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: October visit -- question #3

That truly sounds fabulous! Now that I've been to NOLA many times that would be a great thing to do, especially since I love Commanders.

7. Re: October visit -- question #3

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 12 March 2014, 05:17