We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How much of New Orleans is walkable?

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
50 posts
38 reviews
Save Topic
How much of New Orleans is walkable?

My sister and I are going to be in New Orleans in two weeks we will not have a car and we are staying at the holiday Inn superdome downtown and how far of a walk is bourbon st and other tourist attractions such as the river walk, French market and st Charles. Also if you recommend any other activities please feel free to tell.

Free Tours by Foot
Bike Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Walking Tours, Ghost & Vampire Tours, Food Tours
The Voodoo Bone Lady Haunted Tours
Cultural Tours, Ghost & Vampire Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours, Walking Tours, Sightseeing Tours
Two Chicks Walking Tours
Cultural Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours, Walking Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Private Tours
Buzz Nola Bike Tours and Rentals
Sightseeing Tours, City Tours, Bike Tours, Equipment Hire, Historical & Heritage Tours
Blenheim, Canada
Level Contributor
11,142 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: How much of New Orleans is walkable?

Use Google maps! Type in 330 Loyola Avenue, New Orleans, LA

and you'll see where everything is. It's about 6 blocks to Bourbon, but will be longer blocks than IN the French Quarter.

What do you have on your agenda so far? Have you been to NOLA before? If not, you may want to spluge a bit and stay IN the French Quarter...

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
50 posts
38 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: How much of New Orleans is walkable?

Thanks and so far we are going to the NOLA Food Festival going on that weekend plus we are just trying to do other things in the French Quarter and Uptown. We have already booked our hotel.

AR
Level Contributor
3,596 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: How much of New Orleans is walkable?

Go to neworleansonline.com for restaurants, a calendar of events, excellent maps of the different neighborhoods, things to do, tours, museums, etc. You can order/download a Visitor's Guide that will be a big help.

Detroit, Michigan
Level Contributor
117 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: How much of New Orleans is walkable?

Going the same weekend, but staying closer, on Canal. I have stayed on Canal before and after three days my feet were killing me. Bring good shoes.

I don't know how you feel about public transit, but I have a smart phone and plan on using google transit to help me get around. We are spending a day at the zoo though.

Good luck and have fun.

Detroit, Michigan
Level Contributor
117 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: How much of New Orleans is walkable?

Going the same weekend, but staying closer, on Canal. I have stayed on Canal before and after three days my feet were killing me. Bring good shoes.

I don't know how you feel about public transit, but I have a smart phone and plan on using google transit to help me get around. We are spending a day at the zoo though.

Edited because I looked up your hotel on Yelp, and I think they might have a shuttle that drops off in a few areas. Definitely look into that.

Good luck and have fun.

New Orleans...
Level Contributor
2,196 posts
128 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: How much of New Orleans is walkable?

Just out curiousity, why did you book the hotel if you don't know where it is? I'm not trying to be snarky, just curious as I read similar statements quite often. Was it that you are using points? Good rate? Personal recommendation?

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
2,370 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: How much of New Orleans is walkable?

Nesby, the walk to the Quarter will be fine during the day. At night, I'd recommend taking a taxi back to your hotel. Add these numbers to your cell phone:

United Cab: 504-522-9771 and 504-524-8380

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Nawlins Cab: 504-522-9059

Note to smartphone users: Nawlins cab, a new company, offers geo-location apps for iPhone and Android which can be downloaded here:

http://www.nawlinscab.com/

Have a great trip!

Birmingham, AL
Level Contributor
2,326 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: How much of New Orleans is walkable?

You have several streetcar/bus options for travel too. See http://www.norta.com/ and familiarize yourself with the trip planner on that page. Also know that you can get a Jazzy Pass for $3 daily that allows unlimited travel on the NORTA buses and streetcars. Actually on the weekend you should be able to hop on the Loyola streetcar and get off at the French Market.

If you like to walk you'll love New Orleans. I've walked through many areas of the city, all with their own unique charm.

No better advice than that of COMFORTABLE SHOES from Randi. Oh and watch where you're walking. New Orleans sidewalks can be treacherous; although I see getting tripped up by the sidewalks as nearly a right of passage.

In addition to the festival food, you might want to check out the great 1/2 price pizza certain drinks, wine and beer happy hour from 3-6 at Domenica (very near your hotel) in the Roosevelt hotel.

College Station...
Destination Expert
for New Orleans
Level Contributor
12,305 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: How much of New Orleans is walkable?

Soulcat mentioned public transit. But nobody specifically mentioned the brand new Loyola - UPT streetcar line which runs along close to the Holiday Inn Downtown Superdome and continues on and along Canal St. (one entire side of the French Quarter), passing every 15 minutes between 6 AM and 10 PM on weekdays. On weekends the Loyola - UPT only passes every 30 minutes between 6 AM and midnight, BUT continues along the entire River side of the French Quarter as well. For comprehensive streetcar information see:

norta.com/_meta/files/Rider_Alerts/Streetcar…

College Station...
Destination Expert
for New Orleans
Level Contributor
12,305 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: How much of New Orleans is walkable?

Sorry Soulcat, didn't catch your reference to the Loyola streetcar on my first reading.