We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

First time in NOLA-what can I do during the day on a budget?

Southgate, MI
6 posts
Save Topic
First time in NOLA-what can I do during the day on a budget?

I am meeting a friend in NOLA from April 24 - April 28, 2013. I am breaking the bank just to fly out there, so I need some cheap (or free) things to do during the day - we already have most of our nights planned. I am interested in exploring the history of NOLA and especially love anything that purports to be "haunted". I love to explore anything that a particular location is "known for" and I enjoy shopping for unusual/local items. I am also up for any other suggestions, as I want to get the full NOLA experience. I will be staying near the Superdome but have no problem walking or riding public transportation. I really appreciate any help you can provide me, as I have never been to NOLA and would like to do everything I can because I am not sure when I will ever be able to visit again. Thank you!

Indianapolis
Level Contributor
867 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: First time in NOLA-what can I do during the day on a budget?

I am sure you will have some specific responses from those that may have something special in mind but for a quick glance I would check out this link.

neworleansonline.com/neworleans/attractions/…

Destination Expert
for New Orleans
Level Contributor
8,811 posts
139 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: First time in NOLA-what can I do during the day on a budget?

One of my favorite days I ever had in New Orleans was absolutely free. New Orleans has a fascinating history. Buy a book at your local book store about the history of New Orleans. Then locate all of the fascinating locations you have read about. I love standing in front of a building in NO and knowing what happened in this building 200 years ago.

Tucson, Arizona
Level Contributor
1,660 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: First time in NOLA-what can I do during the day on a budget?

You could do a self-guided walking tour of the French Quarter.

Here's a map and notes:

neworleanscvb.com/includes/…

Southgate, MI
6 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: First time in NOLA-what can I do during the day on a budget?

Thank you!

Southgate, MI
6 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: First time in NOLA-what can I do during the day on a budget?

This is awesome, thank you!

Southgate, MI
6 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: First time in NOLA-what can I do during the day on a budget?

That is a great idea, thank you!

ILLINOIS
Level Contributor
524 posts
212 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: First time in NOLA-what can I do during the day on a budget?

Thank you for the self guided walking tour. This is great to printout and use!!

Southgate, MI
6 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: First time in NOLA-what can I do during the day on a budget?

Sorry if this is a double post, but THANK YOU for your help!!!

AR
Level Contributor
3,594 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: First time in NOLA-what can I do during the day on a budget?

Ride the St. Charles Streetcar for $1.25 each way(oldest in America)...part of it is under repair, but there will be a bus (no fee) to complete the route...get off at Washington and do a self guided tour of the Garden District...and Lafayette Cemetery #1... Or ride the streetcar to Audubon Park...beautiful old homes/ park...

From the Quarter, cross Rampart and walk along Esplanade Blvd...lots of old homes, history..

Do the free walking tour from the National Park Headquarters in the 300 block of Decatur.

Tour the Cathedral... oldest continual operating cathedral in US

Tour Ursulines Convent...oldest in US

Jackson Square (very interesting history about the Pontalaba Apts. around the square...

Walk along the riverwalk and ride the Algiers Ferry....

Go to Cafe Maspero on Decatur for a HUGE lunch for @ $10...you can take some of it back to the hotel...

AND many more....The website neworleansonline.com has a list of 25 free/inexpensive things to do...

Level Contributor
67 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: First time in NOLA-what can I do during the day on a budget?

Lafayette Cemetery #1 in the Garden District is great for a afternoon stroll.

Also, you could window shop along Magazine St. shopping District. That can be a day's activity for as little as the $3 all day "jazzy pass" bus pass.

You can also take the bus or streecar later that day with the same pass. Another idea is to take the streetcar to City Park and spend the day up there.