We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Help with tours

Which New Orleans hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Chicago, IL
Level Contributor
193 posts
19 reviews
Save Topic
Help with tours

Hi!

First, I apologize that this question has been asked many, many times. But I need some help steering us in the right direction. A few friends and I are visiting New Orleans for Jazz Fest the last weekend of April and while we are there we would like to visit a cemetary, the garden district and possibly some plantations.

How are the Free Tours by Foot? It sounds nice on their website - I see that they have a cemetery tour and garden district tour combined. Does anyone have experience with these? Or is this area something we could take on ourselves with a good map?

For the plantations, do any tours stand out above others? There are so many and it is a bit overwhelming. Price is a factor, so if there are some good ones on the lower price end that would be ideal. Is there a plantation NOT to be missed? I keep reading about Oakley Alley.

Thanks so much to all of you experts out there! It's much appreciated!

Moncton, Canada
Level Contributor
6,327 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Help with tours

The tours at the plantations are given by the plantation staff, not the tour companies, so I'd pick whichever one matches your budget and schedule. They basically pick you up and drive you back. Usually drivers will talk about the scenery or something during the drive. I've done a tour of Laura and Oak Alley and although Oak Alley has gorgeous grounds, the tour at Laura was much better.

Nova Scotia
Level Contributor
129 posts
44 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Help with tours

We did both Oak Alley and Laura and the tours were excellent. Oak Alley is in the process of reconstructing the slave quarters. One of the cabins was finished and they were working on the others.

3. Re: Help with tours

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

TripAdvisor staff removed this post because it did not meet TripAdvisor's forum guidelines with regards to the participation of business representatives.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 December 2015, 14:30
Birmingham, AL
Level Contributor
2,324 posts
28 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Help with tours

3 hour city tour from Southern Style Tours on sale at Living Social now. livingsocial.com/cities/59-new-orleans/deals… In addition Living Social has a code BESTOF that gets you $5 off almost any deal of $15 or more.

These are only good for a very limited time, so hurry if you want the deal.

Great tour, I've taken it and really enjoyed it.

5. Re: Help with tours

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 March 2014, 04:17