We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Time for just one plantation. Which one?

United States
Level Contributor
6,400 posts
34 reviews
Save Topic
Time for just one plantation. Which one?

Girls trip coming up. If there is time for just one plantation tour, which one is the best to see? Thanks.

Newington...
Level Contributor
405 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Time for just one plantation. Which one?

We loved Oak Alley especially for the fantastic view!

Bossier City, LA
Level Contributor
2,893 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Time for just one plantation. Which one?

I would pick Laura. Especially as you are having a "girls" trip. Laura Plantation was run by women most of the time and the history is really, really interesting. Not what I expected on a plantation tour but so much more.

Edited: 26 March 2013, 13:53
Moncton, Canada
Level Contributor
6,364 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Time for just one plantation. Which one?

I've seen Laura and Oak Alley and between the 2, Laura no doubt about it. Although the grounds of Oak Alley are gorgeous, the tour of Laura is much more interesting.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
1,677 posts
1,310 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Time for just one plantation. Which one?

I would do Laura...it also has the slave quarters which is very interesting. Then just go to Oak Alley, you can walk around outside..have a mint julep and sip it in a rocking chair

United States
Level Contributor
6,400 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Time for just one plantation. Which one?

Thank you all so much for the info. I think it will be Laura. The Mint Julep sounds good too!

Hey, lollygal, I'm the one who got criticized on the Sanibel forum when I said I wasn't all that crazy about Ding Darling. Didn't mean to have your post hijacked. A lot of people wanted their two cents worth. Yikes!

Louisiana
Level Contributor
300 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Time for just one plantation. Which one?

Drive past Oak Alley. The outside is better than the inside. Laura plantation has a nice story and is interesting but does not "look" like your classic plantation that you see in the movies. I suggest that you see Houmas House. The gardens are absolutely beautiful, the tour is entertaining. Ask for tourguide Judy who will sing you a southern hymn on the piano during her tour. While there, have a creole lunch at the cafe on the grounds. Check out their website and see for yourself.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
1,677 posts
1,310 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Time for just one plantation. Which one?

StLdoughnut....

---how funny---I'm a NYer with big opinions and tough skin...

Thanks for sharing yours!!! :)

Delaware
Level Contributor
389 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Time for just one plantation. Which one?

I also vote for the Laura plantation - it was wonderful, and very interesting to hear about women's roles from back then. Another lunch tip while you're there. There is a hole in the wall place, I think it was called B&C Seafood that was very good. As you are driving out of the plantation's driveway turn right and it is just a little bit down the road on the right. I had to beg my husband to go in based on the outside looks of the place (I had read about it on TA), but the gumbo was delicious and they had a full range of the requisite fried items (alligator, cat fish, hush puppies, etc). Service was slow, but pleasant. Be sure to go in the back room and look at all their pictures.

United States
Level Contributor
6,400 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Time for just one plantation. Which one?

Oh thanks, travelercg, that sounds like a great idea for a place to eat.

10. Re: Time for just one plantation. Which one?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 March 2014, 06:16