We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Organizing our daytime activities

Smalltown, Canada
Level Contributor
619 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Organizing our daytime activities

We will basically have 3 afternoons and 3 mornings for see and do. (one day will be taken up with plantation/swamp tour) I don't want to have an "itinerary", but it would make sense to group things that are close together to make the best use of our time. Listed as a reply are the things we are thinking of. The ones with *** are the most important and other are if time permits.

Would appreciate any advice on how to group 2 to 3 things that would fill a morning or afternoon nicely

Smalltown, Canada
Level Contributor
619 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Organizing our daytime activities

***Historic Walking Tour of French Quarter

***Algiers Ferry (including lunch)

***French Market

***Jackson Square

***St. Louise Cathedral

***Cemetery tour

Voodoo Museum

City Park to see the oaks

Natchez Steamboat

Mardi Gra World

***Riverwalk

New Orleans...
Level Contributor
1,297 posts
129 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Organizing our daytime activities

The Riverwalk is where you board the Natchez Steamboat as well as the ferry to Algiers, so these could be put together. I'd skip the Natchez personally. Just across the street is Jackson Square, which St Louis Cathedral sits on. A few minutes down the street is the French Market, which is best on weekends.

I would definitely do a cemetery tour--St Louis #1 is closest to the French Quarter. Lafayette #1 is in a gorgeous part of the city called the Garden District but you'd need to drive there or take the streetcar. I think a walking tour of the French Quarter sounds fun. I also like a carriage ride around the FQ which can be gotten at Jackson Square for $15 per person.

Tip: Check the times St Louis Cathedral is open, as well as the cemeteries if you plan on going on your own. For lunch I would recommend doing it in the French Quarter before you go on the ferry, maybe at Muriel's on Jackson Square.

I have never been to City Park but you'll need to drive or take the streetcar there. I've never been to Mardi Gras World or a voodoo museum so I'm no help there.

College Station...
Destination Expert
for New Orleans
Level Contributor
11,777 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Organizing our daytime activities

The Algiers/Canal St. Ferry, Mardi Gras World free shuttle stop, and Riverwalk (mall) are in the same general area just outside of the French Quarter. St. Louis Cemetery No.1 is just outside of the other side of the French Quarter. City Park is about 5 miles from the French Quarter at the end of the City Park/Museum branch of the Canal Streetcar line. The rest of your destinations are grouped around the central portion of the French Quarter.

Not to be snarky (we try to avoid snarky on this Forum), you might want to get a map for the plotting of your anticipated destinations. This will help you get your bearings in preparation for your visit. Although obsolete as relates to the public transit system, I like the following map because it indicates the street address numbering system:

neworleansonline.com/assets/…FQMap.pdf

For comprehesive streetcar information, see:

norta.com/_meta/files/Rider_Alerts/Streetcar…

New Orleans...
Level Contributor
1,297 posts
129 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Organizing our daytime activities

Worth knowing--the blocks in the French Quarter are super small. It can be walked all the way across in what, less than an hour? That doesn't take in perusing time of course.

Smalltown, Canada
Level Contributor
619 posts
1 review
Save Reply
5. Re: Organizing our daytime activities

Thanks for your help LydiaG and Loopwhole.

I do have a fairly detailed map but I am still finding it a bit difficult to to picture where things are in relation to each other. I am sure it will all make more sense once we are there.

We will be there Monday and are super excited as it has been a long-time dream to visit New Orleans! It is becoming difficult to concentrate on anything else!

College Station...
Destination Expert
for New Orleans
Level Contributor
11,777 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Organizing our daytime activities

The French Quarter is approximately one mile long, by approximately 3/4 mile wide. At a "normal" (per Google Maps) pace you can walk the length in 18-20 minutes IF you are not distracted or sidetracked, which of course never happens.

Have a great time Kadam!

Edited: 27 March 2013, 21:14
Missouri
Level Contributor
1,045 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Organizing our daytime activities

I guess this is not telling you exactly what you want to know, but most of the items are in or near the French Quarter. Part of the charm of the FQ is relaxing and "following your nose" without a firm schedule.

Here are SOME of the "must dos" in the French Quarter alone:

-Visit Jackson Square and peruse the offerings of the artists and craftsmen there.

-Stop often and listen to the street musicians and observe the street performers.  BE SURE TO TIP THEM IF YOU LIKE THEIR PERFORMANCE. ( For that reason, be sure to bring a bunch of dollar bills, and fives too.)

-Go into the beautiful old St Louis Cathedral at Jackson Square. Again, BE SURE TO LEAVE AN OFFERING to show your appreciation.

-Visit the French Market to peruse the Flea Market and the Farmer's Market and the associated restaurants and shops.

-Take a buggy ride from Jackson Square around the Quarter to get narrated history lesson.

-Eat a beignet at Cafe Du Monde.

-Eat a po'boy sandwich or some crawfish or alligator on a stick.

-Drink a Hurricane in the courtyard at Pat O'Briens.

-Take a walk along the Mississippi River levee.

- Take a cruise down the river on the Riverboat Natchez or the Creole Queen

-Take a FREE ride on the Algiers Ferry to get a great view of the Quarter from the river.

-Peruse the art galleries on Royal Street.

-The World War Two Museum

-At nite, either watch or participate in the spirit of bacchanalia on Bourbon Street.

-As an alternative at nite, walk over to Frenchman Street to the jazz clubs.

-EAT, EAT, EAT, EAT, EAT, EAT at many of the dozens of superb dining establishments in the Quarter.

-SHOP, SHOP, SHOP, SHOP, SHOP, SHOP in everything from "touristy" shops to high-end places.

-DRINK, DRINK, DRINK, DRINK, DRINK if that is your wont.  Lots of places and lots of different drinks.

-Take a ride on fhe streetcars, which opens up an entire new set of activities OUTSIDE of the FQ!

-If you are active, take a bike tour or a kayak tour on St John Bayou.

-Take a tour to visit local plantations or swamps or a "Katrina tour" to understand the devastation and recovery from that terrible event.

And this list has only touched on SOME of the highlights.  Others will, I'm sure, add to this list.  Be sure to ask more questions as you firm up your itinerary.

Smalltown, Canada
Level Contributor
619 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Organizing our daytime activities

Thanks again everyone. We are leaving on Monday so the planning stage is pretty much done :-)

This forum has been a great help in my research and planning and I'll tell y'all all about the trip when we get back!

Blenheim, Canada
Level Contributor
11,128 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Organizing our daytime activities

Kadam...we wouldn't expect anything less! Have an AMAZING time! :)

10. Re: Organizing our daytime activities

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 30 March 2014, 05:16