We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Kids on Bourbon Street

So. Portland, Maine
Level Contributor
587 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
Kids on Bourbon Street

Loved our weekend visit to NOLA over St. Patrick's Day Weekend. Had a great time. The most horrifying thing that we witnessed were the number of small children on Bourbon Street at 1am on Saturday night. I'm talking 3 and 4 year olds being dragged or pushed in strollers by their stumbling parents. I think I may move to NOLA and open up a babysitting service for these poor little ones. It still bothers me, almost two weeks later.

New Orleans...
Level Contributor
1,297 posts
129 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Kids on Bourbon Street

I don't know. As long as one adult is sober and the kids aren't in any type of danger I don't think it's really anyone else's business. I'm not trying to be snarky at all, but we took our kids down Bourbon later in the night a few times at Christmas of '11. It was on the way back to our hotel and we wanted them to see all the lights, music, and super happy grownups. Nothing weird at all happened and they didn't see anything super out of the ordinary. They giggled at a dancer in a doorway, remarking on how she was wearing her bathing suit on the street but then they encountered a man dressed as the devil and forgot all about her. When you see parents out with kids you don't know if they've all been sleeping all day from a long flight or are well-rested for naps, on their way back to their hotel, or what. If the kids are tired or cranky, yes, take them home--but again, they may be on their way there. My main thing is, let's not judge anyone unless the kids are being harmed, and I don't think a once a year stroll at midnight is going to cause any. If anything, it's a fun treat for the kids to be out late. There's always controversy about this but I wanted to be the voice from the side that thinks it is no big deal.

Nashville, TN
Level Contributor
297 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Kids on Bourbon Street

I'm sorry. I have to agree with the OP that I don't believe any children belong on Bourbon Street at 1am. I'm not a prude, but as a mother, there are certain things I just wouldn't do and that's one of them.

And there is actually a mobile babysitting service just for this situation.

Eastbourne...
Level Contributor
29 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Kids on Bourbon Street

I agree you shouldn't be too quick to judge. However I'm bringing my 3 year old to NO in may, the absolute latest I intend to let him stay up is 9 (he's normally asleep by 6.45) I'd feel very uneasy about the idea of wandering around with him at 1am and have no intention of drinking either.

New Orleans...
Level Contributor
1,297 posts
129 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Kids on Bourbon Street

The great thing is, everyone gets to parent their own children. I'm sure everyone has things that as a mother/father they wouldn't do, but those things are all different depending on different value systems. I've found it is best not to get up in other peoples business about things like this if it isn't hurting you or anyone else. That's really cool that there is a mobile babysitting service--if we want to go out for several hours it sounds great. However, I still don't see an issue with taking Bourbon St back to the hotel to let the kids experience it after a late night out, which happens sometimes on vacation but rarely at home. Again, not trying to start anything but people judging other peoples parenting styles gets touchy fast.

New Orleans...
Level Contributor
1,297 posts
129 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Kids on Bourbon Street

3 years old is hard anywhere! We had two bigger kids, 6 & 8, and a 1 year old who slept most of the time or else we probably wouldn't have been able to be out that late either. I totally agree that one adult should be 100% sober--I will judge a couple who are both sloshed with a baby/child, that's just asking for trouble. Maybe I've just been super lucky all 7 or 8 times I've been on Bourbon late but midnight doesn't seem much different than 8 or 9 to me.

So. Portland, Maine
Level Contributor
587 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Kids on Bourbon Street

This was at 1am and there were hundreds of women "earning" their beads. Not an appropriate atmosphere for kids. Daytime or even earlier in the evening, fine but 1 am? Seriously?

So. Portland, Maine
Level Contributor
587 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Kids on Bourbon Street

Lydia, this was at 1am the night before St. Patrick's day. The kids I saw did not have a sober parent in site. One was with their "mother" while she flashed for beads. Seriously?

Maryland
Destination Expert
for Las Vegas, Washington DC, County Donegal, Western Ireland
Level Contributor
54,271 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Kids on Bourbon Street

Gwen, i think you've made your point. I can't see anyone changing anyone else's mind on this one...so how about we all agree to agree or agree to disagree and move on to something else?

So. Portland, Maine
Level Contributor
587 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Kids on Bourbon Street

Not sure how those posts came up separately! I typed them in one post. Anyway, I'm done. I still love NOLA and will be spending more time there as my kiddo starts at Tulane in the Fall!

kentucky
Level Contributor
1,343 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Kids on Bourbon Street

Gwen, I understand how it stays with you. We were on vacation a few years ago and went into a restaurant to eat and passed the bar on the way to our table. There set a young woman sipping on a beer nursing a baby. Kinda blew my mind and I think of it often.