We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

St. Patrick's Day Weekend Trip Report

So. Portland, Maine
Level Contributor
587 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
St. Patrick's Day Weekend Trip Report

Here is a quick TR of our weekend.

Travelers: Myself, 18 yo son (DS), family friend (FF), my parents, my sister.

Hotels: We had one room at Marriott French Quarter and two at Marriott Metairie

Car: Priceline rental from Hertz. Mid Size for $22/day. Not sure how they can classify a Corolla as mid size but it was fine.

Trip Purpose: Open House at Tulane University - son's top college choice

Miraculously, we all arrived on separate flights within 15 minutes of each other around 8:30 pm on Friday 3/15.

Dropped family off at Marriott Metairie and checked in at Marriott French Quarter. What a difference in the hustle and bustle betweeen the two hotels! The Metairie location was actually a nicer hotel, free parking, but miles away from where most want to be.

By the time we were checked in and settled, it was late. DS had another friend staying in the same hotel so they did some wandering down Bourbon Street. FF and I ordered way too much room service. Everything was delicious!

Saturday was spent at Tulane University for Open House. This was my DS and my second visit but the first time my parents and sister had seen it. It's a beautiful campus, great students and a seemingly perfect fit for my DS. Went back to FQ around 3pm for some food and exploring. We walked and explored for hours. Tried to visit Cafe du Monde on Decatur but the line was wrapped around and down the street. Siri told me there was another Cafe du Monde at Riverwalk, we took the Moonwalk along the river and finally found heaven. :-) Those beignets are like no other. Wow. From there we strolled into Harrah's for a bit. I lost my $20 after about 30 minutes of play on the SATC slot machines. FF actually won playing blackjack. He's a much higher roller than I am.

After delivering DS back to Tulane for an overnight on campus, it was time to hit Bourbon Street. I had walked down Bourbon Street previously on a week day and wow what a difference! We had dinner at Oceana Grill. It was good. Not great, but good. Our best meal of the trip will come on Sunday. We walked the entire length of Bourbon Street just people watching. I could people watch for days. For the amount of alcohol being consumed, I was glad to see it was a very happy crowd with no fighting, etc. Took lots of pictures, photo bombed a few pictures others were taking.

Sunday was Swamp Tour day! Collected the kiddo from Tulane and headed to Lafitte for our Airboat Adventure. What an amazing time we had! Our captain, Captain Monkey, was wonderful. We drove ourselves to the site so it was $54/person for a 2 hour tour. We tipped the captain an additional $40, it was THAT good! He brought a baby gator on the boat with us and also hopped off the boat and caught a bigger one! Worth every penny! After the tour we were all starving. We went back to FQ and wandered until something looked good. Royal House Oyster Bar had four empty seats at the bar as we walked by. It was meant to be. This was by far the best meal of our trip. Yes, after holding gators just two hours before, I had a Gator Po Boy. It was delicious.

A little more wandering, stopped and looked at some art, some street performers, etc. Perfect ending to our little weekend.

We will be back in June for Orientation. Wow prices are so much cheaper. I know, I know, it will be HOT! We were there the same week last year. Bring it. :-)

Montreal
Level Contributor
555 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: St. Patrick's Day Weekend Trip Report

awesome trip review! looks like your family had a wonderful time:)

Moncton, Canada
Level Contributor
6,364 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: St. Patrick's Day Weekend Trip Report

Swamp tours, good food, good drinks, awesome people watching......and people ask me why I love NO so much.

Blenheim, Canada
Level Contributor
10,634 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: St. Patrick's Day Weekend Trip Report

Really enjoyed reading that Gwen! New Orleans is definitely a one of a kind place! Best of luck to your son at Tulane!

Edited: 30 March 2013, 15:39
Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
116 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: St. Patrick's Day Weekend Trip Report

Great report! Love that "Siri told you" there was another Cafe du Monde close by! LOL!

So. Portland, Maine
Level Contributor
587 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: St. Patrick's Day Weekend Trip Report

Thanks everyone!!

Yes, I thought there was one at Riverwalk and Siri confirmed it! :-)

I'm excited to return in June and go on a cemetery tour and visit the zoo while my kid has Orientation at Tulane.

Birmingham, Alabama
Level Contributor
1,279 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: St. Patrick's Day Weekend Trip Report

My eldest graduated from Tulane and loved it. She now lives in NOLA - so we have an additional reason to visit. Thanks for the TR and wishing you and your son the best.

Orlando, Florida
Destination Expert
for New Orleans
Level Contributor
6,587 posts
123 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: St. Patrick's Day Weekend Trip Report

so far so good...too bad you didn't see the true reviews of Oceana first...avoid at all costs.

So. Portland, Maine
Level Contributor
587 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: St. Patrick's Day Weekend Trip Report

Yeah, I wasn't in charge of choosing the restaurant that night or we would not have been at Oceana! My sister, after too many Hurricanes, asked someone on the street. Live and learn! :-) We tried to get into Mr. B's two different times during the weekend and were unsuccessful.

So. Portland, Maine
Level Contributor
587 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: St. Patrick's Day Weekend Trip Report

Thanks bamayankee!

10. Re: St. Patrick's Day Weekend Trip Report

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 03 April 2014, 05:16