We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Is it o'kay to travel to New Orleans

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
52 posts
160 reviews
Save Topic
Is it o'kay to travel to New Orleans

Hi everyone

We are planning a trip to the US next year and I would love to visit New Orleans however where I live the only images we really see of New Orleans is the damage remaining from cyclone Katrina etc - yes after all these years. I guess I just wanted a bit of reassurance to make sure it is o'kay to travel there (adults, older teens, young children) plenty of accommodation to choose from and things to do - my main interests are Bourbon St, the old French Quarter, some great food, music, arts, history etc - can anyone help?

Thanks in advance.

Destination Expert
for New Orleans
Level Contributor
7,964 posts
126 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Is it o'kay to travel to New Orleans

Yes, New Orleans has made a wonderful recovery from Hurricane Katrina. You will find plenty to do and hundreds of restaurants to choose from. Come and enjoy.

Newington...
Level Contributor
405 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Is it o'kay to travel to New Orleans

You will have a great time in NOLA! We are coming back for the second year in a row July this year! Lots to do/see/eat here! It is the best city to visit!

New Orleans...
Level Contributor
768 posts
1 review
Save Reply
3. Re: Is it o'kay to travel to New Orleans

Very safe to visit. Spend some time eating in and visiting uptown and see the real New Orleans, not just the quarter.

Moncton, Canada
Level Contributor
6,352 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Is it o'kay to travel to New Orleans

Yes, yes, yes!!!!! I've been 5 times in the past 4 years, returning in October for trip #6 and I am already planning trip #7 for next April.

Orlando, Florida
Destination Expert
for New Orleans
Level Contributor
6,585 posts
123 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Is it o'kay to travel to New Orleans

And in reality the French Quarter and tourist areas received minor damage from Hurricane Katrina...and some places were fully operational in days afterwards.

Calgary, Canada
Level Contributor
84 posts
1 review
Save Reply
6. Re: Is it o'kay to travel to New Orleans

one of the most unique cities in the world is all set to wow you.

Birmingham, Alabama
Level Contributor
1,261 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Is it o'kay to travel to New Orleans

Lawd Gawd! Yes!!!!!!!!!! NOLA is open and ready for business and pleasure!!!!!!!!!

Tucson, Arizona
Level Contributor
1,651 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Is it o'kay to travel to New Orleans

The NFL and all the TV networks certainly thought so, since the last Super Bowl in January was played there; in the same Super Dome that we all saw losing part its roof, and sustaining major during and after Katrina.

Conventioneers have been returning for their meetings in the damaged Convention Center. We visited the year before Katrina (2004), then in 2006, and have returned 3 or 4 times since then.

Unless you venture out of the French Quarter, you will witness very little damage from the disaster.

Perth, Australia
Level Contributor
52 posts
160 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Is it o'kay to travel to New Orleans

Thanks everyone. Sounds exciting. I'm looking forward to visiting!

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
672 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Is it o'kay to travel to New Orleans

Didnt go outside the French Quarter but was there in February and it was honestly the best vacation ive ever taken in my life! Only warning I have is The French Quarter is not for kids.