We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Affordable seafood restaurants in New Orleans

Olathe, Kansas
11 posts
Save Topic
Affordable seafood restaurants in New Orleans

First time in New Orleans. Will be staying the Royal Sonesta in the French Quarter. Traveling early June. Looking for some affordable/good seafood places to try. Any suggestions? Thanks!

moss point
Level Contributor
196 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Affordable seafood restaurants in New Orleans

Well there is a little place on the river road called the river shack- its a pretty cool place.

I just ate at Smitty's restaurant near Causeway Blvd. it was great although we got the platter. 43.95 enough for two people- but they have other seafood platters- there is a guide called the gambit - i think that gives brief menus and $$$ info. Bring hats and lots of sunscreen.

San Francisco CA
Level Contributor
2,361 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Affordable seafood restaurants in New Orleans

Acme Oyster House, in the next block above the RS.

AR
Level Contributor
3,581 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Affordable seafood restaurants in New Orleans

Many restaurants that fit your specifications...you might look at the Top Questions/Answers at the top right of this page and read through " Where to Eat Specific Foods." Also, if you want more suggestions, you might go to neworleansonline.com....they list restaurants by categories and have a "seafood" category. You can also order/download an invaluable Visitor's Guide from that site ...contains, info about things to do, museums, tours, historical sites, musical venues, maps of the different neighborhoods, coupons, etc.

Olathe, Kansas
11 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Affordable seafood restaurants in New Orleans

Thank you so much for the helpful information!

Orlando, Florida
Destination Expert
for New Orleans
Level Contributor
6,585 posts
123 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Affordable seafood restaurants in New Orleans

Good food info at www.nomenu.com. prices,reviews

New Orleans...
Level Contributor
689 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Affordable seafood restaurants in New Orleans

Smitty's isn't anywhere near the Causeway, it's about 6 miles west in my area of Kenner. It's also not a place I'd suggest if you're going to be in Kenner, that would go to Harbor Seafood, but I digress... River Shack is cool, but one needs a car/taxi to get there from the Quarter and it's also not a place I would send a tourist just because it's really just a bar in Metairie with a good bar menu. If suburban bars are your thing, go for it, but there will be plenty of better places around your hotel.

My suggestions would be Acme Oyster House or Drago's. Both are on the more affordable side for most people. Mr. B's and Red Fish Grill aren't the most expensive, but their prices are a step up from Acme or Drago's and I'd suggest them as a more moderately priced option.

Edited: 09 April 2013, 03:20
Missouri
Level Contributor
1,045 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Affordable seafood restaurants in New Orleans

Deanie's, just a couple of blocks into the French Quarter on Dauphine.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
2,106 posts
1 review
Save Reply
8. Re: Affordable seafood restaurants in New Orleans

Deanie's is good & very reasonable. So-so ambiance. Personally, there are many other restaurants better than Acme. Lot of hype and marginal seafood.

moss point
Level Contributor
196 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Affordable seafood restaurants in New Orleans

river shack is very reasonable and good food as well, depends on if you want to stay in the quarter or venture out and eat where some of the locals eat, or you want to stay in the tourist area.

I hope you enjoy your visit..

AR
Level Contributor
3,581 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Affordable seafood restaurants in New Orleans

As a resident, I have to agree with Chapookie on the River Shack...it is a fine place to listen to music and to dance and to eat( serves good bar food), but not a place I would go out of my way to visit with so many other places much closer. Locals go to all the restaurants in the Quarter mentioned in the above posts...Mr. B's, Acme, Deanie's, Drago's, Red Fish Grill and I would add Felix's...just across from Acme. You will find seafood at most of the restaurants, even if they are not "seafood" restaurants, and you will find other options at "seafood" restaurants. Another reasonable, huge portion place with some fried seafood on the menu is Cafe Maspero on Decatur...huge plates for under $10 with $2 beer and daquiris. A bar similar to the River Shack, but within walking distance is Buffa's on Esplanade/Burgundy...good prices on drinks and wonderful bar food...they have a good Sunday Brunch with a dixieland band and specials from 11:00-2:00 (Burgundy side entrance) , but are open 24/7 at the front bar. Music on some nights, also...they have a website.