We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Hotel, Did we make a mistake?

Elkhart, Indiana
Level Contributor
118 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Hotel, Did we make a mistake?

We’re a 60 year old couple and our first visit.

We’re staying at Clarion Inn on Canal & Crozat St. I read on a couple of reviews (after I booked) that this hotel has limited parking. If that is true is there parking nearby for 2 days?

I see it not quite as close to French Quarter & Frenchman St. as I thought. Is close enough and safe to walk at night or better to use public transportation?

Some additional questions

Where is a good starting point to start exploring the French Quarter and Frenchman? Is it better to take a cab to the far end and work our way back towards hotel? If so any recommendations?

Are cabs easy to find in the FQ area if we become worn-out from walking?

Looking forward to the music on Frenchman, what’s the best times?

Lastly, is there free public WiFi in the Quarter?

Thanks so much, confire

Moncton, Canada
Level Contributor
6,409 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Hotel, Did we make a mistake?

Although I'm not familiar with where you are staying, is there a particular reason you're staying at that hotel? If it's pricing, depending on when you are visiting, the Quarter can be quite inexpensive. As 1st timers, it would make your life and vacation much easier if you stayed in the Quarter. It's so great to wake up in the am, walk out of your hotel, and see the FQ wake up! he Quarter is a special place all day long, but it has a special feeling 1st thing in the am.

Destination Expert
for New Orleans
Level Contributor
8,576 posts
127 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Hotel, Did we make a mistake?

I agree with porelly. You would find a hotel in the French Quarter to be much more convenient. My husband and I are also in our sixties and with all if the walking you will do in the Quarter, you will appreciate being close to your hotel to go back to rest for a while or to freshen up for an evening out. When are you coming?

New Orleans...
Level Contributor
3,331 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Hotel, Did we make a mistake?

That hotel is in the Tulane Med School/Med Center complex, so there are a quite a few surface lots and garages nearby.

Blenheim, Canada
Level Contributor
11,136 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Hotel, Did we make a mistake?

In my humble opinion-yes, you did. PLEASE consider staying in the Quarter. There are many hotels to choose from that put you right between you're interests. The Hotel Provincial, Chateau Hotel and Hotel Villa Convento are both 5 blocks from Bourbon and Toulosse (the "center" of the Quarter) and 5 blocks from Frenchmen Street. Le Richelieu is 7 blocks from the center, 3 blocks to Frenchmen....there are many choices (go to Google Maps and type in "French Quarter Hotels"). The best way to explore the Quarter is like porelly said--stay in it and walk out the front door of your hotel! jlr is also SO VERY CORRECT in the fact you'll want to be close to your hotel to "take a break" from the walking.

Edited: 14 April 2013, 20:03
chicago
Level Contributor
1,240 posts
48 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Hotel, Did we make a mistake?

You really want to change to somewhere in or much closer to the Quarter. If you're out by Tulane, you're going to spend way too much time in streetcars or overpriced cabs.

If you're going to spend a lot of time on Frenchmen, you want to be as close to Decatur and Esplanade as possible. I'd recommend Le Richelieu (charming, historic, has a pool, and was just featured in Rachel Ray's magazine!). This also puts you close to the French Market and Jackson Square.

Edited: 14 April 2013, 20:46
New Orleans...
Level Contributor
1,297 posts
129 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Hotel, Did we make a mistake?

I would also recommend changing locations (sorry!) In the Quarter we love Hotel Villa Convento and the Biscuit Palace guest house...we also like the suite at the Royal Barracks Guest House.

Calling a cab is super easy and they usually show up within just a few minutes and half an hour, depending. We like United and had mainly good experiences.

I highly recommend Frenchmen--we really like the Blue Nile. The show I most wanted to see started at 7:00 but another great band went on around 10:00. Most venues have schedules posted online.

College Station...
Destination Expert
for New Orleans
Level Contributor
11,895 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Hotel, Did we make a mistake?

The several block area between the Clarion and the French Quarter can be "uncomfortable" after dark, not so much actually "unsafe" because of the number of people and police around, but also having a number of not so cordial street people and transients.

For a typically reasonably priced close by hotel with a better location and reasonbly priced on-site self parking there is the Wyndham New Orleans French Quarter (formerly Holiday Inn French Quarter).

The best way to explore the French Quarter and Frenchmen St is to have close by lodging. If you cannot change hotels, you probably should start out on foot heading towards Frenchmen St (the opposite corner od the French Quarter) taking yout time to explore along the way, finishing you day (night) on Frenchmen St, followed by a cab ride back to the hotel. Best times on Frenchmen St are 7 PM to 1 AM.

Cabs are plentiful and relatively inezpensive.

Elkhart, Indiana
Level Contributor
118 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Hotel, Did we make a mistake?

Thanks all, did some quick checking some to the suggestions were book or wanted 5 day stay. Looks like the Le Richelieu in the French Quarter

is available, anybody know what is the parking like?

thanks again

College Station...
Destination Expert
for New Orleans
Level Contributor
11,895 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Hotel, Did we make a mistake?

Le Richelieu has secure on-site self-parking for a reasonable charge. Well located with respect to Frenchmen St; pretty well located in general. If your feet start giving out on you, there is the Riverfront streetcar.

Blenheim, Canada
Level Contributor
11,136 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Hotel, Did we make a mistake?

confire, I think Le Richelieu would be a PERFECT choice for the two of you!!!