We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

New Orleans Activities with an Almost-Two-Year-Old

Which New Orleans hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
NYC
Level Contributor
111 posts
29 reviews
Save Topic
New Orleans Activities with an Almost-Two-Year-Old

Hi and thanks in advance for any help. I'm researching activities that might be fun and interesting for me, my husband, and our almost-two-year-old when we visit New Orleans for the first time in a few weeks. (We'll be spending one day at Jazz Fest.) Since we're a music-loving family, I thought there might be an outdoor concert in a park? A Gospel church that's open to the public (obviously we would leave if my child were to misbehave)--or a Gospel brunch (but preferably not at a chain we have at home, like HOB)?

It looks like the Audubon Zoo would be a great fit for us, as well. What else would you recommend?

Thank you again!

College Station...
Destination Expert
for New Orleans
Level Contributor
11,310 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: New Orleans Activities with an Almost-Two-Year-Old

Saint Augustine Church in Treme, next to the French Quarter, founded by free people of color and considered the first Catholic church to integrate African-Americans and whites, has a very welcoming and open Gospel Mass at 10 AM every Sunday. I'm not a "churched" person, but consider attending this service to be among my New Orleans highlights.

The New Orleans Jazz National Historical Park hosts live educational performances most days of the week at the Old U.S. Mint, a French Market location at 916 N. Peters Street, and Saturdays in Armstrong Park. For a schedule of activities over the then next week or two, see:

www.nps.gov/jazz/planyourvisit/events.htm

There are many high quality street musician ensembles playing on Royal St. and around Jackson Square during and around the weekend days. Bring some dollar bills for your youngster to place in the tip jars.

Missouri
Level Contributor
1,045 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: New Orleans Activities with an Almost-Two-Year-Old

Take a ride on the free Algiers ferry. Most kids like boats. Is he or she old enough to enjoy the aquarium or the Insectarium? You would need to decide. Find a brass band on Jackson Square and let him or her do some "dancing". I have seen lots of kids who really enjoy that.

New Hampshire
Level Contributor
2,762 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: New Orleans Activities with an Almost-Two-Year-Old

There's a children's amusement park at City Park, with an antique carousel and child rides.

You could take him/her on a horse-drawn carriage ride (actually, most are mules but two year olds don't really know the difference!)

We will be in town with our 3 yr old and 5 month old granddaughters just about the same time. Plenty to do!

NYC
Level Contributor
111 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: New Orleans Activities with an Almost-Two-Year-Old

These ideas are wonderful, thank you!

Moncton, Canada
Level Contributor
6,327 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: New Orleans Activities with an Almost-Two-Year-Old

There's all kinds of talent on the streets (music, mimes) that will entertain both you and your child. Also, maybe a trip to the French Market to let them "shop". All kinds of great things for kids: beads, alligator heads, feather mask, all at reasonable prices. I wouldn't worry about running out of things to do.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
2,293 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: New Orleans Activities with an Almost-Two-Year-Old

Be sure to check out the Gospel Tent at Jazz Fest!

City Park has, in addition to its beautiful old Carousel, miniature trains:

wdsu.com/news/…index.html

The trains were one of my favorite things when I was a little boy! I also used to love riding the St. Charles Avenue streetcar, although I hesitate to recommend it on a Jazz Fest weekend. The city will be packed, and you might not get a seat.

Also loved the Algiers ferry, which has the advantage of being a quick ride -- just 5 minutes to ferry across the river.

As other posters have indicated here, you'll be spoiled for activities. Between the parks, the ferry, the zoo, and the endless sights and sounds of the French Quarter, your little guy will conk out from excitement long before you've run out of things to do.

Have a great time!

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
2,293 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: New Orleans Activities with an Almost-Two-Year-Old

Useful numbers for your cell phone:

United Cab

504-522-9771 and 504-524-8380

- - - - - - - - - - - - -

Nawlins Cab

504-522-9059 (New company with downloadable geo-location apps for Android & iPhone)

http://www.nawlinscab.com/

Orlando, FL
Level Contributor
660 posts
43 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: New Orleans Activities with an Almost-Two-Year-Old

Storyland in City Park; it is very close to the amusement park and much more age appropriate. It is magical!

neworleanscitypark.com/carousel_gardens.html

9. Re: New Orleans Activities with an Almost-Two-Year-Old

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 18 April 2014, 06:19