We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

House of Dance and Feathers

Ontario's Near...
Level Contributor
39 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
House of Dance and Feathers

Has anyone gone to the house of Ronald Lewis in the Lower Ninth Ward to see The House of Dance and Feathers Museum. I only see 1 review here. I understand he co-authored a book that is for sale and was wondering if it available from his museum. Does anyone know the price? Any info on the place would be good as well.

thanks

New Orleans...
Level Contributor
1,297 posts
129 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: House of Dance and Feathers

I just went there a few weeks ago and meeting him was the highlight of our whole vacation!! It's especially awesome if you've read the book Nine Lives by Dan Baum. The museum is small but there is a ton in there and the best part is Mr. Lewis telling you about everything in there, the community, what has happened after Katrina, etc. I HIGHLY recommend reading Nine Lives before you go, it really added to the experience. I got him to autograph my copy of that as well as the book he co-authored, which was $30 and well worth it in my opinion.

We went to the museum as part of the Ninth Ward Rebirth Bike Tour and LOVED it. There's only so much time though, and I could have looked in the museum for hours so we'll definitely go back. Check out reviews of the bike tour and there will probably be more mentions of the museum. I also talk some about it in the trip report I've been (slowly) posting over the last week.

If you're interested in the House of Dance and Feathers you might also want to check out the Backstreet Cultural Museum in the Treme

London, United...
1 post
1 review
Save Reply
2. Re: House of Dance and Feathers

Hey there,

Have a look at the website for House of Dance and Feathers (http://www.houseofdanceandfeathers.org/) to learn more and the very vibrant Facebook page (www.facebook.com/houseofdanceandfeathers.org) and tell him Tracy & Andy sent you! :) Yes, the book is on sale at the museum, but also available on Amazon - though if you buy it at the museum - Ronald with sign it for you!

Do have a look at the rave reviews in Google as well! It's voted the No. 56 of 561 things to do in New Orleans by Lonely Planet, but if you want the REAL New Orleans culture - it's one of the top spots. Ronald is an oral historian and his stories and experience are NOT to be missed.

New Orleans...
Level Contributor
3,454 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: House of Dance and Feathers

Lydia, you beat me to it, I wanted to say exactly the same thing "You'll find more reviews if you look at the Rebirth bike tour ones". :)

I took the tour and visited the museum two years ago and I loved it. Ron is quite a character and the museum itself is a unique testament to culture and spirit too strong to be beaten.

Actually, I'd like to re-visit it in the next few months, not only because I'm sure the museum has expanded in the last two years and I'd be curious to see it, but also because that Ron guy is clairvoyant or something. When our bike tour group was coming up to his place, he was saying hello to everyone and the moment he looked at me, he said "You will come back to live here" (I had to find my old trip report, a more reliable source than my memory, but these were the exact words). My reaction at that point was "Don't I wish!!!" and I didn't even consider it could really happen. Well, after I move here next month, how could I not go there with thanks? ;-)

Moncton, Canada
Level Contributor
6,409 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: House of Dance and Feathers

I just got the willies Rodent. I've got to find this guy to see if I'd be lucky enough to get a similar message. And with all this talk of the book and this place lately, something else to add to the no end to do list.

New Orleans...
Level Contributor
3,454 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: House of Dance and Feathers

There, Porelly, a proof I'm not making it up, Day 6 has quite a bit about the bike tour that included House of Dance and Feathers:

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g60864-i34-k460281…

Yep, do add it to that list. :-)

6. Re: House of Dance and Feathers

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 20 May 2014, 05:16