We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

WWII Museum and Garden District?

Punta Gorda, Florida
Level Contributor
694 posts
13 reviews
Save Topic
WWII Museum and Garden District?

We'll be in NOLA from Mon-Thurs. We were going to take the St. Charles Streetcar to the Garden District one day and another day do the World War II Museum.

In looking at the map it appears we'll be retracing our route. Is this correct? Should we do both together on the same day?

We're staying at Harrah's if that makes any difference.

College Station...
Destination Expert
for New Orleans
Level Contributor
12,646 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: WWII Museum and Garden District?

The Magazine St. bus (passes about every 15-21 minutes between 9:30 AM and 5:30 PM) is a much more direct route from Harrah's to the WW II Museum. You can combine the visits time permitting, but you won't be retracing your path if you take the bus to the Museum.

little rock arkansas
Destination Expert
for Little Rock, Arkansas
Level Contributor
3,337 posts
290 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: WWII Museum and Garden District?

If you like walking, I've walked many times from Harrah's to WWII Museum. It's kind of fun to wander through the warehouse district. The Ogden Museum, a nice modern building where they specialize in Southern art, is across from WWII. The top chef John Besh has one of his restaurants in WWII, called American Sector. It is one of his moderately prices cafes and has a good lunch menu. A "computerized" wine bar called WINO is sort of on the route if you need a recharge after the walk.

Mentioned in this post
Southern
Southern
Louisiana
Punta Gorda, Florida
Level Contributor
694 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: WWII Museum and Garden District?

Thank you all.

I was looking at a map that made it appear that Magazine started in the Garden District, so I mistakedly thought I'd have to go all the way there to get to the Museum. Then I saw that I could "catch" Magazine without going there (and then back).

If the weather is nice, we'll probably walk. Any breakfast places on the way?

New Orleans...
Level Contributor
1,297 posts
129 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: WWII Museum and Garden District?

We've walked from the French Quarter to the WWII museum twice and really enjoyed it, but then we're definitely "walkers." I also highly recommend the American Sector. Their happy hour is 3-6pm daily. Whatever you do after the WWII museum, it needs to be light. The museum is amazing but I came out pretty depressed (happy hour helped!)

New Orleans...
Level Contributor
1,297 posts
129 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: WWII Museum and Garden District?

Red Gravy on Camp is awesome. I think you'd go up Canal, then turn onto Camp, hit Red Gravy and then continue on to the museum from there. Surrey's Juice Bar has been on my list for ages but it is a few blocks past the museum into the Garden District (on Magazine St)

Mentioned in this post
Red Gravy
Red Gravy
765 Reviews
New Orleans, LA
Surrey's Juice Bar
Surrey's Juice Bar
649 Reviews
New Orleans, LA
Level Contributor
135 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: WWII Museum and Garden District?

We are actually doing this tomorrow if the weather cooperates. Staying at harrahs, breakfast at red gravy, walking to the WWII museum, then the short walk to th st Charles street line and taking the street car to the garden district

Punta Gorda, Florida
Level Contributor
694 posts
13 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: WWII Museum and Garden District?

Is Ruby Slipper on the way to the Museum (or close-ish)?

Red Gravy is on my list, but awhile back I showed my husband the menu, and he wasn't thrilled. Since we're originally from New Jersey, he thought we got enough of NJ Italian when we go back to visit or to Atlantic City.. And he didn't seem to "get" having meatballs at breakfast.

However, I might just lead him in there (he won't remember he said he didn't like the menu).

Mentioned in this post
Red Gravy
Red Gravy
765 Reviews
New Orleans, LA
New Jersey
New Jersey
United States
Atlantic City
Atlantic City
Jersey Shore, NJ
Tucson, Arizona
Level Contributor
1,662 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: WWII Museum and Garden District?

I didn't "get" having meatballs for breakfast either....

UNTIL I tried them. OMG anytime is time for Vera's (NJ girl, too), meatballs and Red Gravy, He may enjoy the Sicilian Egg Pie, too. Unlike anything else, and outa this world good.

Mentioned in this post
OMG
OMG
New Orleans, LA
Red Gravy
Red Gravy
765 Reviews
New Orleans, LA
New Hampshire
Level Contributor
2,785 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: WWII Museum and Garden District?

Cannoli pancakes.

'Nuff said :-)

I think we're going to be doing the exact same trip - Red Gravy/WWII Museum/happy hour @ American Sector - in a few weeks.

Mentioned in this post
Red Gravy
Red Gravy
765 Reviews
New Orleans, LA
New Orleans...
Level Contributor
1,545 posts
99 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: WWII Museum and Garden District?

I just met a wonderfully friendly couple at the restaurant on Sunday....and they seemed to have the same dilemma... My suggestion to you is the same I told them... Go to the WWII Museum on Wednesday..stay till closing. After that, walk to Lafayette Square for the free concert/outdoor happy hour. Listen to great music, enjoy some cocktails and food from the vendor tents (local restaurants) and you'll be supporting a local youth organization at the same time.

Mentioned in this post
Lafayette Square
Lafayette Square
140 Reviews
New Orleans, LA