We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip Report - April 21 - 28! What a great visit it was!!!

Which New Orleans hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
882 posts
17 reviews
Save Topic
Trip Report - April 21 - 28! What a great visit it was!!!

Hi Y'all!

I lurk here year round pretty much and am always interested in others trip reports and goings on in NOLA as it's truly one of my fave places. This trip I took my son (23) for his first time and some friends were also there pre-cruise. Had a fabulous time and did a lot of stuff including Jazz Fest! We stayed at Place D' Armes. The report is long, so I warn you now. :)

Some of the restaurants I/we dined at are SouBo, August, Camellia Grill, Herbsaint, Stanley, K-Pauls, Commander's Palace, French Market, Donald Link's new Peche, Greg Sonnier's new King Fish, Felix's and Restaurant R'evolution.

We went to Houmas House. Did a Segway Tour, did a Ghost Tour and of course Jazz Fest.

I hope someone finds some information that helps in their planning and if there are any questions, please ask. PS. I gained 3 lbs. in case you're wondering. :)

…blogspot.ca/2013/04/new-orleans-trip-report…

Maryland
Level Contributor
1,189 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Trip Report - April 21 - 28! What a great visit it was!!!

Wow, what a great report and pictures. I think I gained 3 pounds just reading it! ;-) Glad you made such great memories with your son!

East Coast
Level Contributor
269 posts
45 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Trip Report - April 21 - 28! What a great visit it was!!!

I gained 3 lbs. just reading your post. Thank you for sharing such a comprehensive report - we are heading down next week and I have a page full of notes thanks to you.

New Orleans...
Level Contributor
3,315 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Trip Report - April 21 - 28! What a great visit it was!!!

That was some serious eating. Thanks for the foodie intell...Peche and Kingfish have just barely opened so most locals (inc. me) haven't been there yet. The chef at Kingfish has a long, positive history here so I suspect the experience will improve in time, but we shall see.

Destination Expert
for New Orleans
Level Contributor
7,827 posts
126 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Trip Report - April 21 - 28! What a great visit it was!!!

Loved reading about your trip! Thanks for sharing your adventure with us.

Newberg, Oregon
Level Contributor
6,027 posts
389 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Trip Report - April 21 - 28! What a great visit it was!!!

Great report and pictures Christine. What a great week! It really amped up my anticipation for our 10-day visit in October. Like you, selecting where to eat (or dine!!) is the paramount task in planning a vacation. If anything, I'm even more compulsive about planning ahead. We've (actually, me) been putting together itineraries since last fall. Now into revision 14. LOL!

Your reviews have helped me quite a bit. I think I can eliminate a couple of places I had on my list, solidified some choices and put a couple new names into the pot. A wonderful dilemma to have. Thanks again!

San Jose, California
Level Contributor
333 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Trip Report - April 21 - 28! What a great visit it was!!!

Great trip report. I loved the pictures, which help tell the story, and make me long for my next trip! It's funny that I had a similar experience at Herbsaint when we went. The staff put me off so much I don't want to go back, but I know the food was very good. so disappointing. But overall sounds like an amazing trip! thank you for sharing.

Level Contributor
25 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Trip Report - April 21 - 28! What a great visit it was!!!

Loved the details but especially the photos! I'm always hearing all these dishes mentioned and to see them was fun. I'm hoping to take my son one day too. He's just turning 15 and has been playing trombone for 5 years, with plans to continue. Really loved the report, thanks for taking the time to share it.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
882 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Trip Report - April 21 - 28! What a great visit it was!!!

Thanks to you all for the nice compliments. I sincerely appreciate them! I was hoping we walked enough so that I wouldn't gain any weight. Even though I ordered a LOT, I didn't finish everything, mostly ever. I gained 5 lbs. on my last trip here.

MickiD: Awwww, thank you! I'm glad I could help in your planning.

highway61nola: I didn't dislike King Fish and I think I was just expecting greatness because of all the things I know of Greg Sonnier. What I ate and what I thought at that particular time is just that...that moment. My mood could be influenced by anything. At worst, I could be that I was just plain tired of eating! (Not likely, but possible, lol).

OregonJohn97338: I'll be looking forward to hear your food thoughts in October. I'm sure you will do it up well!

SueinCA: I didn't have any problem with the staff at Herbsaint except the hostess was b*tchy. I seem to run into a lot of hostesses in restaurants like that for some reason...but the food was top notch. Don't have a complaint about it, that's for sure.

blulia: I'm sure your son will love it when you bring it. My son listens to heavy metal and even he was up on the dance floor shaking it to Kermit Ruffins! I was surprised and happy! :)

Edited: 30 April 2013, 05:12
Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
882 posts
17 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Trip Report - April 21 - 28! What a great visit it was!!!

Sorry blulia: , bring him*, not it. My hands type without my brain at times, I'm always correcting.

Edited: 30 April 2013, 05:16
Blenheim, Canada
Level Contributor
10,627 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Trip Report - April 21 - 28! What a great visit it was!!!

Wow! That was awesome! Some of those food pictures are to die for too! Glad you and your son had such a good time. I know you ate well and that's a good thing! GREAT pictures too! Thanks for the fablous report!