We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Trip in July

st. louis
Level Contributor
6 posts
6 reviews
Save Topic
Trip in July

My family is planning on going on a short 3 or 4 days in NO. I am a fly by the seat of your pants type of gal and typically do not make reservations. I realize that summer is the off season down there.But is it still crowded? And what would an average family spend (trying to keep a tight budget) spend on food, hotels, and MUST sees? We have never been so any suggestions would be appreciated!

Moncton, Canada
Level Contributor
6,409 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Trip in July

What are your dates? Although summer is low season for NO, there are a couple of popular events during the summer. When you say no reservations, does this include the hotel??

st. louis
Level Contributor
6 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Trip in July

Looks like it will be the second or third week in July whenever our house sitter can come. And yes hotels. We seldom make reservations for hotels. It has gotten us in trouble before but it made for quite and adventure!

little rock arkansas
Destination Expert
for Little Rock, Arkansas
Level Contributor
3,335 posts
289 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Trip in July

That is interesting that you are a good budgeter and that you also don't make hotel reservations. The only way I seem to save money is when I research prices and try to get deals in advance. I'd like to know your secret to avoid the advance work and still find the bargains!

st. louis
Level Contributor
6 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Trip in July

I have only had an issue once or twice. My secret is I ask. We typically will pull into a Hotel after dinner. I know that if they have rooms they probably will remain empty. If they say it is say 150 for a room I simply say my budget is say 80-100 depending on the place and I typically get it. And no I am not this drop dead gorgeous women. lol Could I get it for a bit less? Maybe. I do not have a HUGE issue reserving since this is not a "road Trip" we will be there for a few days. We have had issues reserving a hotel. We have seen either the neighborhood. I live in one of the most dangerous cities in the us so it takes a bit to put me off (although the one with the "working girls" was interesting) or the hotel was in disrepair. I know with the internet it makes things a lot easier. But it seems a LOT of people are scared to death of NO. I figure it is a city like any other. But it is hard to tell when so many people are skittish.

New Orleans...
Level Contributor
1,297 posts
129 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Trip in July

neworleansonline.com/neworleans/festivals/mu…

If you're in town during this you REALLY should go--it was one of our highlights last summer! I personally would definitely make hotel reservations--location and charm can make or break a place in NOLA, ESPECIALLY location! Not so much for safety, but you definitely want to be IN the French Quarter, in my opinion.

Missouri
Level Contributor
1,045 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Trip in July

It is simply too difficult to try to budget for your family because we don't know what you like to do. The truth is that there is lots to do in New Orleans that is free and cheap. On the other hand, if ypu go to some of the attractions for kids, the money can add up.

You can find good bargains in hotels that time of year, and I suggest you do so. In the French Quarter, it's not like pulling off the highway and having a row of motels to pick from. The streets are narrow and one-way and difficult to traverse. You would be way better off knowing exactly where you are going. Because it is so hot in July, you definitely want a hotel with pool for the kids in the afternoon.

Food is going to be quite expensive. There is just no getting around that. Unless you can find a room with a kitchen and eat in for breakfast and lunch.

Later, I will post a list of activities, many of which are free or cheap. Somewhere there is a website of free things to do in New Orleans.

Missouri
Level Contributor
1,045 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Trip in July

Here are some of the activities available. You might be better off to start separate threads, one asking about free or cheap activities and one asking about how to keep down food expenses.

-Visit Jackson Square and peruse the offerings of the artists and craftsmen there.

-Stop often and listen to the street musicians and observe the street performers.  BE SURE TO TIP THEM IF YOU LIKE THEIR PERFORMANCE. ( For that reason, be sure to bring a bunch of dollar bills, and fives too.)

-Go into the beautiful old St Louis Cathedral at Jackson Square. Again, BE SURE TO LEAVE AN OFFERING to show your appreciation.

-Visit the French Market to peruse the Flea Market and the Farmer's Market and the associated restaurants and shops.

-Take a buggy ride from Jackson Square around the Quarter to get narrated history lesson.

-Eat a beignet at Cafe Du Monde.

-Eat a po'boy sandwich or some crawfish or alligator on a stick.

-Take a walk along the Mississippi River levee.

- Take a cruise down the river on the Riverboat Natchez.

-Take a FREE ride on the Algiers Ferry to get a great view of the Quarter from the river.

-Take a ride on fhe streetcars, which opens up an entire new set of activities OUTSIDE of the FQ!

-If you are active, take a bike tour or a kayak tour on St John Bayou.

-Take a tour to visit local plantations or swamps or a "Katrina tour" to understand the devastation and recovery from that terrible event.

And this list has only touched on SOME of the highlights.  Others will, I'm sure, add to this list.  Be sure to ask more questions as you firm up your itinerary.

Seattle, WA
Level Contributor
211 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Trip in July

Your question about budgeting is too broad without knowing more specifics, but I can tell you that July/August/September have been kind to us when we've travelled to nola. Being from Seattle, we love getting some heat when travelling, so I guess the fact we never got rained on in the summer was very lucky. We just got back and while the evenings were a bit cool, the temp during the day was almost perfect. But the crowds were awful. That's the big advantage of summer--almost no one there comparatively. Our favorite restaurant was booked 5 days out, while in the summer we could call that day and get in no problem. Personally, we prefer the summers, but you have to get lucky with the wet season, and often times more places are closed.

Beverly...
Level Contributor
300 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Trip in July

I would definitely check out neworleansonline.com. We are coming in July and got a great deal on our room. There is a summer promotion that includes parking. I always enjoy finding great room rates but part of the fun to me is doing research of places to stay and then booking it. I can't imagine going on vacation but not knowing where we are going to stay. Some boutique hotels do offer complimentary continental breakfast so that will save you a few dollars.

10. Re: Trip in July

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post was determined to be inappropriate by the TripAdvisor community and has been removed.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

Our staff may also remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason. Thanks for being a part of the TripAdvisor travel community!

Removed on: 17 May 2013, 17:05