We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sorry!! One more question about swamp tours. Please!

Which New Orleans hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
116 posts
18 reviews
Save Topic
Sorry!! One more question about swamp tours. Please!

I was hoping to go on a good swamp tour. After reading the about the various companies on their own websites, it seems that the "swamp" tour is more about the animals than the actual swamps?? While it would be fun to see alligators and other wildlife, I was hoping to actually explore the swamp. I see these amazing pictures of swamps, and the moss covered trees, down narrow little waterways, and that is kind of what I was hoping for. Are these swamp tours so commercialized that the tour I have in my mind does not exist?? Should i just suck it up and go see the gators, while IN a "swamp"?

Any help appreciated. Don't want to waste money on something that is not what I was hoping for.

Houston, Texas
Level Contributor
1,182 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Sorry!! One more question about swamp tours. Please!

What you're looking for is exactly what you'll get! You are out in the heart of the swamps beauty whilst seeing wildlife. You'll go down the narrow pathways with moss covered trees for sure!

Missouri
Level Contributor
1,045 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Sorry!! One more question about swamp tours. Please!

I recommend against airboat swamp tours such as Airboat Adventures or Cajun Encounters because of their propensity to feed marshmallows to the alligators, thus turning them into Disneyesque trained performers.  There is no airboat tour in the New Orleans area that does not do so.  Alligators are wild animals and should be respected as such.  

Having said that, you might check with Jean LaFitte Swamp Tours. Seems like they get deeperinto the swamp than some of the others. If you go on a smaller boat, you may be able to "customize" your swamp tour by asking the guide to focus on the swamp environment. E-mail them and tell them what you want.

Blenheim, Canada
Level Contributor
10,628 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Sorry!! One more question about swamp tours. Please!

JT--The best swamp tour we took was to the Honey Island swamp. It is just like you described. We took the Dr Wagner's Honey Island Swamp Tour on a quiet, flat bottomed pontoon boat. You will definitely see the animals but you will also see the beauty of the swamp and see the narrow pathways. It was the first swamp tour we took and it was worth it!

Duncan, Oklahoma
Level Contributor
45 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Sorry!! One more question about swamp tours. Please!

Hello JT,

Here is a tour that might be of interest: lostlandstours.org

Ottawa
Level Contributor
2,341 posts
52 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Sorry!! One more question about swamp tours. Please!

We did the Honey island swamp tour and my favourite part was entering the tiny waterways through the swamp. It was so quiet, peaceful, just the birds etc and the beauty of the place!!!!! I had no idea that a swamp could look so beautiful. It was so green with branches overhead, moss hanging down and the water was covered in green with lilypads.... absolutely incredible with the morning light shining through. I took many pictures and I had two of them framed. If you send me a PM with your email address I will send you some pics. You will go into the narrow pathways. In fact, the open area was where the gaters were. I will return, just to spend more time in the majestic swamp.

Karen

Allentown...
Level Contributor
1,441 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Sorry!! One more question about swamp tours. Please!

Not sure of your outdoor abilities, but there are some places where you can rent a kayak and go into the swamp by yourself. Champagne Tours is one, I believe. Look 'em up.

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
116 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Sorry!! One more question about swamp tours. Please!

Thanks. Kayaking really isn't our type of thing. Nothing against it, just not for us.

8. Re: Sorry!! One more question about swamp tours. Please!

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 16 May 2014, 07:18