We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Royal Carriage Tour Mules

Which New Orleans hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Cleveland, Ohio
Level Contributor
39 posts
23 reviews
Save Topic
Royal Carriage Tour Mules

I would appreciate it if a local or completely unbiased person could shed some light on the following with facts only!

I am reading conflicting things about whether or not the carriage mules are treated humanely. Some of the negative things I have read include:

The buggy drivers overload the carriages with people making the weight capacity almost unbearable for the mules to move.

The mules have limited access to drinking water throughout the day and that the water they do have to drink is unsanitary.

The buggy drivers will work the mules over the specified max time they are allowed to work for more profit.

I have also read the mules are kept in the heat all day but that is not nearly as concerning as unclean water, overworking and weight capacity breaching. Mules are hardy in the heat and can tolerate limited water consumption that I know.

As an animal lover I would not support anything that mistreats any creature so I want to know the facts. I looked at the Royal Carriage website and they have a lovely story about how they give the mules 3 month vacations and the care they receive throughout. I hope it to be correct because a carriage ride seems like a great way to experience the city.

New Hampshire
Level Contributor
2,762 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Royal Carriage Tour Mules

I can't tell you what everyone does, all I have is experience with one. We took a Royal Carriages tour. The driver would not accept our full group (we had 8 adults and two very small children) for one of the carriages because she said the mule was not capable of carrying us. She pointed to a different carriage and said "this one is right for your group". The driver was very affectionate of the mule, "Red Bean".

The mules had troughs of what looked like clean water, and ours was very friendly and did not seem overworked in any way. It was not a very hot day, however.

Texas
Level Contributor
223 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Royal Carriage Tour Mules

All my NO trips have been during the summer. I have witnessed drivers turning away passengers when their mule needed to cool down and I've seen all the carriages close up and leave when afternoon temps got too high for the mules. As far as water, you have to regulate how much a horse (or mule) drinks when it is hot . If they are allowed to drink too much, they will get sick. And mules are bred and raised to pull heavy loads. How heavy is too heavy? Only someone in the work mule/horse business would be qualified to answer that, but it sounds like the drivers know the capabilities of their animals. I've never seen anything close to what I'd call abuse from these carriage drivers.

Orlando, Florida
Destination Expert
for New Orleans
Level Contributor
6,582 posts
121 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Royal Carriage Tour Mules

The drivers get attached to their buddys (mule) and I've seen them pull off the line indicating they feel their

mule apppears tired and head for the barn...they do have clean water in the trough...the other posters are correct to what we have seen also.

Destination Expert
for New Orleans
Level Contributor
7,690 posts
120 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Royal Carriage Tour Mules

This is always a controversial topic but my experience has been as the others have posted. I have not seen any mistreatment or neglect of the mules.

Seattle, WA
Level Contributor
211 posts
14 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Royal Carriage Tour Mules

I second all the above responses. A driver that mistreated his/her mule would actually be shooting himself in the foot. It's in his own best interest to keep his animal happy. Just my observation...

Edited: 15 May 2013, 22:09
New Brunswick, New...
Level Contributor
310 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Royal Carriage Tour Mules

I always get upset when I see the mules so personally I wouldn't take a ride but I haven't even seen them being treated poorly. On one of our trips, we saw a horse collapse and die on Bourbon St so I think I'm overly sensitive about it.

Cleveland, Ohio
Level Contributor
39 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Royal Carriage Tour Mules

Very good- this is encouraging to hear and I thank you all for sharing your experiences!

I suppose it wouldnt be hard to determine if a mule is looking poorly beforehand or if the driver is mistreating it during the ride. In reality the mule is this persons livelihood so it would be wise for them to have a happy mule I would imagine.

Cleveland, Ohio
Level Contributor
39 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Royal Carriage Tour Mules

A horse or a mule? Thats terrible!

Level Contributor
483 posts
1 review
Save Reply
9. Re: Royal Carriage Tour Mules

It was a privately owned horse that collapsed on Bourbon Street.

Edited: 16 May 2013, 02:34
Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
10,615 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Royal Carriage Tour Mules

I have never taken one of those rides and I never will. I have seen one episode of abuse of the animal and that was enough for me. I have never recommend a carraige ride and I never will. Animals do not need to be used like that and that is my own opinion.

Highly recommend the pedicab because those people choose to do that for a living.