We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Sending Large Boxes from USA to Australia via US Postal

Sydney, Australia
Level Contributor
187 posts
1 review
Save Topic
Sending Large Boxes from USA to Australia via US Postal

Hi people,

Am looking for some local knowledge here about sending large boxes from USA to Australia via the US Postal Service.

Here is what I am after - we are loooking at sending back home to Australia some large boxes with clothes and shoes in them via the US Postal Service, as we will be continuing our travels through the US and Canada and dont want to carry around all the extra luggage. I have looked on the US Postal website and it is very confusing and doesnt make a lot of sense to us Aussies.

Can someone who is a NOLA local please find out for us how much it will cost to send a box back from NOLA to Sydney, Australia that weighs 60 pounds. We are looking at sending the boxes back via normal post as we dont mind the time frame for it to arrive in Australia as we will be still travelling through the US and Canada.

If any local could pop into a US Postal office and find out for us that would absolutely awesome!!!

Thanks

jezkim1

Blenheim, Canada
Level Contributor
11,122 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: Sending Large Boxes from USA to Australia via US Postal

not quite true, kayak, as we tried to send the Flat Rate box from the post office at Bourbon and St. Philip and they couldn't accept it because they did not "sell" flat rate boxes (we already had one) so they wouldn't send it. They said we had to go to the post office at 701 Loyola Ave. which is a GXG post office (whatever that meant). jezkim, your best bet is to Google USPS International shipping rates. It will take you to a section where you can enter size, weight, content insurance, etc, and calculate a price.

Allentown...
Level Contributor
1,443 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: Sending Large Boxes from USA to Australia via US Postal

Flat rate boxes are free, so you can take them back to where you are staying to fill them up, and then drop them at the Post Office. They must have been out of them at that particular station, so they sent you to a larger station, I'm guessing. The point is, they're a good deal.

Blenheim, Canada
Level Contributor
11,122 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
13. Re: Sending Large Boxes from USA to Australia via US Postal

no, kayak...we HAD the box. During Flok2 (when one of the Flok couldn't make it) another Floker brought a Flat Rate box for all of us to fill with NOLA goodies to send to our missing Floker back in Boston...so we filled the box and took it to the P.O. who refused to send it! There were 3 of us there and we all just kinda looked at each other. So we bought a "regular" box, removed the contents from the flat rate to the regular, and then they sent it....weird, huh?

Allentown...
Level Contributor
1,443 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: Sending Large Boxes from USA to Australia via US Postal

I'm retired from the Post Office, and I can't imagine why they wouldn't send it. Especially since it was domestic (to Boston). The only reasons where they might refuse to accept it would be if it was stuffed to the point that the box was in danger of bursting open, or if it contained any prohibited items (explosives, chemicals, etc.) Other than that, they have to accept it.

Blenheim, Canada
Level Contributor
11,122 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: Sending Large Boxes from USA to Australia via US Postal

I swear to you they didn't (Den and Ina1a can back me up on this coz they were there!) It was not stuffed, nicely taped up (I'm as good with packing as I am with spreadsheets:) and we skipped all the weapons and chemicals! (LOL!)

Edited: 03 July 2013, 16:04
Birmingham, Alabama
Level Contributor
1,304 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: Sending Large Boxes from USA to Australia via US Postal

Google is an amazing thing...

https:/…priority-mail-international.htm

for shipping up to 70 lbs

Melbourne
Level Contributor
116 posts
71 reviews
Save Reply
17. Re: Sending Large Boxes from USA to Australia via US Postal

This sounds like a question I can comment upon - we shipped a total of seven boxes from New Orleans this past February containing "worthless" Mardi Gras beads, dubloons, cups, toys, a spear, 17 footballs, a couple of basketballs etc. etc. etc. We've done this before, and we already knew that the US Post Office eliminated surface mail several years ago. Be prepared, as others have suggested, to be limited by weight and by overall size. We've used Pack Rat (3110 Magazine) for two Mardi Gras trips, and it's perfect - show up with bags of throws and they pack them and ship them. This trip, we also caught far more that we need at home for our own Mardi Gras parties in Melbourne, and the girl behind the counter was happy to take all our spares which she'll throw in the 2014 parades - it's recycling!

Prior to nine days of Mardi Gras, we had also shipped boxes from Zurich, Amsterdam, Heidelberg, New York and St Louis - much the same approach as you and common for Australians who simply can't carry everything everywhere. Send the things you've bought, any clothes you don't need, the guidebooks that you've finished etc. And that leaves more space for the next round of shopping :-)

By the way "worthless" just means we declared the value as "zero dollars" of course - after all the stuff had been thrown at us. And total shipping cost was US$600+ but at least the Aussie dollar was really good then :-)

Gary @ Melbourne Australia

18. Re: Sending Large Boxes from USA to Australia via US Postal

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 07 July 2014, 05:17