We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Walking from St. Louis No. 1 to Stanley

Arkansas
Level Contributor
238 posts
208 reviews
Save Topic
Walking from St. Louis No. 1 to Stanley

Google maps suggested walking rather than use public transportation, but I was concerned about the safety of

the area around the cemetery. What do you regulars say?

Blenheim, Canada
Level Contributor
11,111 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Walking from St. Louis No. 1 to Stanley

Tracey, it's an EASY walk! Done it before and it was great~! Head down about 5 blocks on St Louis, hang a left on Chartres and before you know it (15-20 minutes!) you'll be at Stanley's...of course, that 15-20 is abritrary, depending on what you stop to look at! :) Truly, it's a nice walk!

Edited: 23 May 2013, 04:10
Moncton, Canada
Level Contributor
6,349 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Walking from St. Louis No. 1 to Stanley

no problem at all, a very nice walk actually.

New Hampshire
Level Contributor
2,762 posts
30 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Walking from St. Louis No. 1 to Stanley

Not a problem at all. While you're at the cemetary, you might also want to walk over to Armstrong Park. Lovely park, beautiful statues, fountains, water features.

If you want to explore further, go out the side gate furthest from where you entered, across the street to Henriette Delille St, to the Backstreet Cultural Museum. Amazing display of Mardi Gras Indian culture.

New Orleans...
Level Contributor
1,297 posts
129 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Walking from St. Louis No. 1 to Stanley

I agree, a gorgeous walk and not unsafe AT ALL in my opinion. Check out Louis Armstrong Park, it's very close and gorgeous right now--Congo Square is there and has some great history. The Backstreet Cultural Museum is close by, on the other side of the park from the cemetery.

Arkansas
Level Contributor
238 posts
208 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Walking from St. Louis No. 1 to Stanley

Thanks so much. Google was telling me to walk a few blocks down Rampart, and I remembered reading some warnings on here about that street, so I was nervous. I'm traveling with other people's kids, so I tend to be more cautious.

New Orleans...
Level Contributor
3,454 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Walking from St. Louis No. 1 to Stanley

Tracey, that reputation of Rampart (or area beyond it) is from years ago. It's going to be daytime, there will lots of people around. You'll be fine. :-)

7. Re: Walking from St. Louis No. 1 to Stanley

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This post has been removed at the author's request. The author may post again if desired.

Posts on the TripAdvisor forums may be edited for a short period of time. Once the edit period has expired, authors may update their posts by removing and reposting them.

To read more about editing your posts, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/help/how_to_edit_your_posts

Removed on: 23 May 2013, 16:30
San Jose, California
Destination Expert
for California
Level Contributor
15,414 posts
106 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Walking from St. Louis No. 1 to Stanley

We went on a bike tour last year (Confederacy of Cruisers) that took us around the area you are talking about. I hadn't really been on Rampart and over to Treme in 10 years. I was pleasantly suprised at the changes - I wouldn't hesitate to walk around there during the day. I probably wouldn't at night just because it looked like things would get deserted after dark.

9. Re: Walking from St. Louis No. 1 to Stanley

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 25 May 2014, 06:15