We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Book about Katrina

Greenwood, Louisiana
Level Contributor
2,504 posts
22 reviews
Save Topic
Book about Katrina

I just finished reading Zeitoun by Dave Eggers. Before I read it, I thought it was going to be about one family's Katrina ordeal. After reading it, I realized it was an eye-opener about basic human rights, and how our government mishandled the people of New Orleans during and after Katrina. It is one of the best books I have read in a long time. I got it from my local library free on my tablet, but now I want to buy a copy, as all of the proceeds go to charitable organizations.

It was fun to mapquest the addresses in the book, so I knew exactly where he was talking about.

Bossier City, LA
Level Contributor
2,937 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Book about Katrina

Thanks for the recommendation, Poole. Will check my library for it. See you Saturday :)

New Orleans...
Level Contributor
3,454 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Book about Katrina

Thanks, I'll check this one out. :)

New Orleans...
Level Contributor
1,297 posts
129 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Book about Katrina

Very good! My best friend loves one of his other books and I've been meaning to check it out but now I shall start with this one :)

Kansas City
Level Contributor
5,990 posts
5 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Book about Katrina

"Heart like Water" by Joshua Clark is also a great read about a journalist that stayed in the FQ throughout the whole storm. It is really fascinating.

New Orleans...
Level Contributor
1,297 posts
129 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Book about Katrina

I also enjoyed Heart Like Water, although the author annoyed me a bit at times. It's still a great read though. Nine Lives by Dan Baum is still my favorite book about Katrina thus far.

New Orleans...
Level Contributor
222 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: Book about Katrina

Zeitoun was a good book - the family has since fallen apart in a sad and public fashion with Zeitoun ending up in and out of jail for a series of ugly domestic incidents.... Part wonders if those were issues before, or if the stress of all he went through cracked him. Just know I see his name in some real ugly news stories every now and again these days....

Edited: 23 May 2013, 20:48
New Orleans...
Level Contributor
3,331 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Book about Katrina

Zeitoun is a good book. He actually painted my house twice, once before and once after K, so Ms. 61 and I had numerous interactions with him and Kathy. There was talk of a movie at one point, but all his more recent troubles tanked all that.

New Orleans...
Level Contributor
222 posts
Save Reply
8. Re: Book about Katrina

While on the topic of New Orleans books, and Katrina related - Shake the Devil Off by Ethan Brown was an interesting one. About a French Quarter murder/suicide perpetrated by a war vet that was in New Orleans during/immediately after Katrina - both a lot of what he was dealing with in the city, as well as his head discussed. Has a similar quality to Zeitoun where it puts the storm and life in New Orleans the Summer/Fall right next to some bigger human issues like war and PTSD. The murder itself was pretty noteworthy and made national headlines due to rumors of cannibalism, which seem not to be true.

At one point I lived on the same block as the couple, shopped at the store that he worked at, etc... though close, not quite at overlapping times, so it was especially odd to read knowing the people and places in the story so intimately even if Zack and Addie (the couple) were strangers to me.

Edited: 23 May 2013, 20:58