We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

New Orleans.. Bourben St.

Which New Orleans hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Reading,MA
Level Contributor
8 posts
104 reviews
Save Topic
New Orleans.. Bourben St.

Hi,

I am planning a trip next with my family. I want to visit Bourben st in the morning to see a few shops. Do you think 10-12 would be ok for me to bring the kids with me? They are 10 & 18.

Also has anyone done the bike tour of the city?

Thanks!

Texas
Level Contributor
223 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
21. Re: New Orleans.. Bourben St.

" To call it the scourge of the French Quarter is only an opinion and scary because it is judgmental and indicates little tolerance of others."

You're right - it is only an opinion, but it's my opinion; something I am entitled to both have and express.

But scary? Really? That's a bit dramatic.

San Jose, California
Destination Expert
for California
Level Contributor
14,940 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
22. Re: New Orleans.. Bourben St.

I feel the same way about Bourbon Street kj. We bar hop on Bourbon every trip we take. It is part of the culture of New Orleans. I do understand that some locals rail against it because a lot of people don't look past Bourbon St and see the rest that New Orleans has to offer.

Toronto, Ontario...
Level Contributor
11,060 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
23. Re: New Orleans.. Bourben St.

"since people come to these forums to ask questions and get the opinions of others, I try and be as honest as possible. Otherwise, what's the point?"

Totally agree, LSM. disneygirl asked for opinions and she's getting them. I don't think anyone is trying to force anyone to believe what THEY feel, but everyone HAS a right to express how they feel. My first 3 trips to NOLA, I was madly in love with Bourbon. Now...not so much...

Level Contributor
9 posts
135 reviews
Save Reply
24. Re: New Orleans.. Bourben St.

JUST got back yesterday and thought we would spend more time on Bourbon Street but a walk at 10am turned us off so we never went back during our 6 day trip. It was smelly & dirty and just not appealing at all. Royal, Chartres & Decatur streets are good along with some of the side roads. St. Peter Street just to the south of Royal had a fantastic jewellery store - bijounola Jewelry - very reasonable prices and unique designs. We ran out of time & didn't really check out Decatur closer to the Warehouse District but were told that that area also was great for walking & shopping. The gift shop at the Historic New Orleans Collection on Royal is a really great place to shop for souvenirs, etc. There are also shops around Jackson Square that you should check out as well as all the artists displaying their wares in the area. Very enjoyable!

AR
Level Contributor
3,578 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
25. Re: New Orleans.. Bourben St.

Thank you Kjosker.

Moncton, Canada
Level Contributor
6,327 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
26. Re: New Orleans.. Bourben St.

For some reason, I hadn't read this thread. Now I see why it's still going with just a title of "Bourbon St". Here's the 2cents of a Canadian girl who was in lust with NO even before she got there in 2009 (the only good thing that came out of Katrina was that it finally go my butt in gear to get my a$$ down there), and who is now in love with her and only feels "home" when I'm there.

I only arrived in NO at 9pm my 1st trip, so my 1st look at NOLA was at night, which is my opinion should be everybody's 1st look: at night or at least anytime starting at dusk. As I had stated in my trip report, "a blind person could have seen I was a tourist on Bourbon St for the 1st time cause my smile was from ear to ear". Now with that being said, Bourbon St is Bourbon St. Personally, I love it. Where else can you hear 5 different types of music in a 1-2 block radius? This may be normal to some of you, but there's not that kind of music here in my home town. You want to hear live music? It STARTS around 10pmish. At the age of 20 something, no problem. At the age of 40 something, pasts my bedtime.

If you're looking to do some souvenir shopping, the French Market is the best place. You will find pretty much anything you'd see at a souvenir shop, but just a lot less expensive. If you want to go for a walk with your kids, I say no problem. Go in the afternoon when the music has started or even better, just after supper when the neon lights are all on and start to shine brightly.The strips bars and what not are all together in the same blocks close to Canal, so you can easily avoid that area. To be honest, I think the worse time to go on Bourbon St is the morning. Nothing special to look at. Would I take my kids there later at night. No. Would I take them in the time frames I mentioned? Definitely!!

My advice is make your own decision once you are there. The French Quarter is not that big party everybody thinks it is (including this girl before she got there).

Allentown...
Level Contributor
1,441 posts
31 reviews
Save Reply
27. Re: New Orleans.. Bourben St.

As the police LT. on "Treme" once said to his men: "Let Bourbon St. be Bourbon St.".

San Jose, California
Destination Expert
for California
Level Contributor
14,940 posts
104 reviews
Save Reply
28. Re: New Orleans.. Bourben St.

kitti - It's too bad that you didn't go back to Bourbon St at night. Bourbon st in the day time is not all that attractive and I can absolutely see why you were turned off. Ok, so it is dirty at night too, but with all the people and the music pouring out of the clubs, the dirt seems like such a minor thing.

Gretna, Louisiana
Level Contributor
96 posts
1 review
Save Reply
29. Re: New Orleans.. Bourben St.

I grew up here and raised two children one boy one girl the youngest now 20. I have memories of Bourbon Street as a young child, as a school boy on field trips, as a young unmarried adult, as a newlywed, as a parent of young children, and now as an empty nester.You cannot hide the adult theme of Bourbon St. from anyone walking down the street. No one ever tried to shelter me as a child. I remember seeing all of the pictures on the walls advertising live sex acts. It just peaked adolescent curiosity. Didnt scar me for liife( At least I dont think so). No one ever took me there at night and Bringing my kids at night never occured to me. It would be pointless. I remember dancing at some great dance clubs. Jamming at the music clubs. Drinking all of the famous cocktails. Some fine memorable moments at the karaoke clubs. But the thing I like most about Bourbon Street is seeing all of the peolpe having a great time. Walking along and seeing the smiles. You will see what you want on Bourbon Street. If you want to see the trash laying in the street or if you think the girls standing in the doors are trash that is what you will see. If you want to see excitement and joy it is there every night. Whenever we have guest we bring them to Bourbon Street. You need to go into the clubs. That is where things happen. Bands that generate excitement. The cute girl and her friends who can really sing Karaoke. Being goofballs with my brothers and friends at the strip clubs. Meeting people from all over the world. I am and will be put in my grave as the most conservative person that I know. And I love Bourbon Street

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
10,615 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
30. Re: New Orleans.. Bourben St.

Stephen--That was beautifully said! Although I don't spend a lot of time on Bourbon Street anymore I still love the street for what it is. It is like no place else on earth and it has a magic all it's own.