We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Plantation accessibility?

Newberg, Oregon
Level Contributor
6,119 posts
389 reviews
Save Topic
Plantation accessibility?

We're planning a few excursions with longtime traveling pals for our October visit to NOLA. A tour of a plantation or two is on our list, but one of our friends has developed severe mobility issues over the past year. He probably will bring his motorized scooter (it can be broken down for transport) but is concerned about accessibility at the plantations. Are there stairways or other barriers that would hinder an enjoyable experience at the plantations? Many of the tours I've seen advertised seem to feature Laura and Oak Alley. Any info, particularly about those two, will be much appreciated!

Cleveland, Ohio
Level Contributor
39 posts
23 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Plantation accessibility?

We went to Laura today and I dont remember seeing any ramps or any ways to avoid climbing stairs. There are quite a few stairs to get up to the main house that he would have to walk up. I would suggest not going to Oak Alley but to Houmas House instead. You can tour the grounds there which contain breathtaking gardens and he could stay in his scooter to do this. Also, the entrance to the home itself only has a few steps, unlike Laura, which has many.

Moncton, Canada
Level Contributor
6,409 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Plantation accessibility?

Laura will not work, quite a few stairs just to get to the house. But once in the once, everything is one level so if they manage to get up the stairs, then it could work.

Oak Alley would partially work at there are no stairs to get into the house, but part of the tour goes to the 2nd floor with many stairs. Visiting the grounds at both places would be fine.

Blenheim, Canada
Level Contributor
11,132 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Plantation accessibility?

John, the grounds of Oak Alley are the spectacular part. The upstairs is just bedrooms (I can send you pictures if you'd like so he can see he won't be missing all that much) He could do the ground floor--but the grounds and the oaks are the truly spectacular part. I'd suggest only that one.

kentucky
Level Contributor
1,343 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Plantation accessibility?

The Houmas House is gorgeous as are the grounds. There are grounds around Laura where someone could possible look around the outside of the slave cabins from a chair. Oak Alley is also very beautiful. I would visit their web sites and see if the subject is discussed or at least find a contact ph number and call.

PA
Level Contributor
2,261 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Plantation accessibility?

At Oak Alley, I didn't go up to the second floor. I was offered a laptop from which I could view a narrated video that was made of that part of the house. It was very well done. I suggest you go there.

At Laura, once you get into the house there are benches to sit on so you don't have to stand and listen to the guide speak. I think it would be doable for your friend as long as he can do a few steps.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
235 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Plantation accessibility?

I would suggest going to the Evergreen plantation – our decision to tour it was based partly on the same issue and I am glad that we did ( we went there in mid April).

The only place you have to go up is the main building – but you get more than enough information outside from the tour guide.

The grounds with oak trees are simply spectacular.

And what’s more – it is very spacious and not crowded (we drove after Evergreen to Laura plantation and it felt like being brought to Times Sq, bus after bus. Personally, just not the same vibe)

If you have seen Django Unchained, you might recognize Evergreen – some parts were filmed there

Newberg, Oregon
Level Contributor
6,119 posts
389 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Plantation accessibility?

Thank you all for the prompt replies. I'll pass the info to our friends and let them and Mrs. OJ make the decisions. Me, I'm just coming to NOLA for the food. LOL!!

Seattle, Washington
Level Contributor
410 posts
88 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Plantation accessibility?

Both Oak Alley and Laura have spectacular stories. From a pure "tour" point of view, Laura tops all the rest hands-down. However, both have mobility issues inside the plantation house itself. That having been said, I would highly recommend your mobility challenged friend go to Laura -- there are plenty of things to see on the grounds without the house tour.

Tyler, Texas
Level Contributor
7,612 posts
123 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Plantation accessibility?

Go to PlantationParade.com

Then FAQ for each plantation

10. Re: Plantation accessibility?

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 02 June 2014, 05:17