We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

May 23-26 Trip Report

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
183 posts
Save Topic
May 23-26 Trip Report

Pyxie and JT have inspired me to share my experiences during my recent trip with the Wife. I too have a bit of a foggy memory of the events but I'll do my best.

May23- Our flight arrived early and off to the FQ for our stay at the Royal Sonesta. Love this hotel. Malcolm there to greet us with "What took you so long to come back" It was only six weeks.LOL Tried talking the wife into walking to Cochon Butcher for their muffaletta but ended up at our mainstay- Chartres House. Food solid as always. Spilt the Roast Beef Po-Boy and the Gumbo. Delish!! Time to take in the sights, sounds and beverages that NOLA has to offer.

Walked Around Jackson Square to take in the art then it was time for beers at the Boondock Saints. After saying out hellos and grabbing a couple of to-go pops time to try something new.

Off to Cosimos. Nice neighborhood bar but may have been an off day or just the time we were there. Just didn't get that vibe. Walked over to R Bar and then to Frenchman Street. A few ore cocktails then tie for dinner.

El Gato Negro. Wonderful as always. Spot on. Had the enchiladas and tacos. Wife tried the house Margarita and while I am not big on them it was very good. Stopped next door at a new bar called Caseys. Just us and the owner but he was friendly and the beer cold. Talked to him for a few beers then on to Bourbon. Just had a few beers walking up and down. Another stop at the Boondock and time to head in. Or so I thought.. Walked into the lobby and met a couple from the plane. Next thing I know we are at Rita's Tequila House drinking Patron XO and Don Julio 1942. I recall being at Famous Door and then heading in around 1. I am sure there was more but as I said things are "foggy"

Greenwood, Louisiana
Level Contributor
2,504 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: May 23-26 Trip Report

LOL, foggy you say?

Blenheim, Canada
Level Contributor
11,136 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: May 23-26 Trip Report

What a great start! First of all, being greeted by Malcolm ALONE will make you feel special! Love Chartres House, love Boondock's, love Cosimos (our bartender Jean was GREAT! Maybe it was her?) and I don't think I need to tell ANYONE how much I love El Gato Negro! How was the expansion coming along?

Haven't been to Rita's yet...is it worth it?

Edited: 05 June 2013, 18:52
Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
183 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: May 23-26 Trip Report

Yeah things are just a tad "foggy" NOLA seems to have that effect on people. That includes my ability to recall how the expansion is going....But I do recall a male bartender at Cosimos

Blenheim, Canada
Level Contributor
10,653 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: May 23-26 Trip Report

I agree about Malcolm! Isn't he one of the most wonderful people in New Orleans? He still remembers us from our 1st trip to Nola and we've only stayed at the Sonesta twice. I simply love that man!

Most of the places you went so far are some of my favorite places too! I'm not a big tequila drinker so I know I couldn't do shots at Rita's...although I sure can polish off those margaritas at El Gato! Great report so far. I sure hope there's more coming!!!!!

Ottawa, Canada
Level Contributor
116 posts
18 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: May 23-26 Trip Report

Now I'm wishing I had stopped at Rita's! I saw it a few times on our strolls, but I am the only tequila "drinker" out of hte group I was with. DH and I did a tasting while in Mexico a couple of years ago. But I just love the stuff! So yeah, I get the "foggy" part.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
183 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: May 23-26 Trip Report

May 24- Woke up a little late and did not make it in time to have breakfast at Red Gravy. Oh well off to Camilia Grill which is always tasty. Bacon Omelette for me and Denver for the wife. Just what I needed. Walked over to the streetcar and went up to the 5000 block of St. Charles where the line ends while the rest is under construction. Walked over to Magazine Street so the wife could shop and ended up back in the 3000 block of Magazine. Waited and waited for a bus back but decided to cab it. We have actually walked back to the FQ from there but not today.

Got back to the hotel and decided to hit the pool for a swim and cocktails. After cooling down and getting back on the horse, it was time for some appetizers. Went to Remoulades for wings, shrimp and onion rings (which are similar to Popeyes) Everything was good. Stopped at The Beach for 3 for 1 and took a stroll back to Jackson Square.

Now you would think that after all the years I have been going to NOLA I would learn my lesson. When you see something you want, buy it. Saw some nice art that would have been great for the yard but figured I'd get it later. The next day it was gone. After another stop at Boondocks to say hello to Jaime, then time to get ready for dinner.

Had reservations at Irenes Cuisine for 7 p.m. Arrived 10 minutes early and was promptly seated at 7. Now I knew something was not right when I walked up to the restaurant and did not get that "garlic" smell that I always get walking by. The bruschetta was good but I was disappointed that I did not see lasagna on the menu as Deny said it was to die for. Wife ordered the special- a filet with parmagnia risotto which she said was excellent. I went with the Chicken Rosemarino while delish was not something I'd crave.

After changing clothes, decided to hit the Funky Pirate. Big Al was on the stage and he did not disappoint. I really enjoyed his performance. Ended the evening at Boondocks with the two owners and a bunch of locals. It was an relatively early evening considering the night before.

Blenheim, Canada
Level Contributor
10,653 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: May 23-26 Trip Report

Oh Cal...so sorry to hear that you didn't get the lasagna at Irene's. I have only seen it on the menu once and I jumped all over it cuz I love Italian food! Last time we were there Herm had the Chicken Rosemarino and she loved it! Hopefully they'll have it next time. Did you at least enjoy a Bailey's Irish Cream?

Yeah isn't that the way it goes when you see something you want, leave it, and then it's gone when you go back for it? That's happened to me too. Did you find something close to what you wanted anyway? (I never did.)

You HAVE to do Red Gravy next time. They have excellent lasagna too. Afterall the owner/chef is Italian. It is highly recommended! The meat balls there are to die for too! At least you have another few reasons to go back :)

Blenheim, Canada
Level Contributor
11,136 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: May 23-26 Trip Report

First, to JTCanuck -- El Gato Negro also has Tequila Tasting:

http://elgatonegronola.com/drinks

hey calhoun640, don't worry about the expansion progress...it'll just be a bigger surprise in October! Sounds like you had another nice day! I LOVE Irene's (and I DID love that chicken, even tho I prefer red meat) The lasagna is not a menu item, but one of the "house specials" they have occasionally. Next time! :)

Edited: 06 June 2013, 14:13
Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
183 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: May 23-26 Trip Report

May 25- Up early today and got to Red Gravy as they were opening. Was seated immediately and ordered the CBD and the wife had the lost bread special. Wife commented that this did not seem to be my type of place but having been there before I knew the food was great. Caught the street car to the end of the line then bus to Palmer Park for the New Orleans Art Council Art Fair which the wife wanted to attend.

After the art fair made out way back to the Riverwalk and took the ferry over to Algiers for lunch at the Dry Dock Cafe. Their Cajsian egg rolls made with Boudin with the dipping sauce is something I crave. Spilt the roast beef po-boy and it was excellent especially if you like it dripping with gravy.

After lunch it was to the French market to pick up some New Orleans flair for my deck. Of course had a few beers along the way and then to Central Grocer to fill the muffaletta order back home. Got there at 4 and they were sold out!!! Oh well.

Off to Jackson Square again to purchase some yard art and of course the piece I wanted had been sold. Dinner was to be at the Italian Barrel. I have eaten here twice before and if you are looking for great Italian food in NOLA this is the place. Wife had lasagna and I went with their penne ala arrabiata. Their bruscetta is the best. The evening ended with a final stop at Boondocks to say goodbye and then Krazy Corner for music and we eventually made our way back to the hotel when the wife said she wanted one last walk through. Stopped at the Alibi for a road pop then walked and said good night.

Now it is time to book my September trip......

Los Angeles, CA
Level Contributor
199 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: May 23-26 Trip Report

Fun trip! Thanks for all the info. Can you tell me where the St. Charles streetcar line is ending these days?

Thanks!

Only 24 more days...