We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

30th birthday and pregnant!

Hartford...
Level Contributor
40 posts
29 reviews
Save Topic
30th birthday and pregnant!

Hi all,

My husband had planned a surprise trip to NOLA for my thirtieth! As luck would have it, I am also nearing the end of my first trimester with our first child :-). This will be our second trip to the FQ. We will be there June 27th- July 1st. So my question is...what is your advice for a great, sober, birthday trip?

Montreal
Level Contributor
555 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: 30th birthday and pregnant!

congrats!!! also, have you been to city park? might want to also replace drinking with eating...hehehe. instead of hitting bars, you could always hit the awesome restaurants and order small plates. and you know..it's your birthday AND you're pregnant...two great excuses to eat all the crap you want and not give a darn...lol.

maryland
Destination Expert
for Baltimore
Level Contributor
2,144 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: 30th birthday and pregnant!

My daughter had the same thing happen - only it was over St Patricks day weekend to boot!

The WWII museum is amazing and since it will be hot might be a good way to be cool. Shopping on Royal - I love looking into the stores. Go into a bar and order a sprite in a hand grenade cup and listen to the music ( LOL, my daughter did say not as much fun).

Go to the New Orleans School of Cooking and do the class.

Take a city tour , swamp tour or plantation tour.

Lots of great places to eat - select one for a special birthday dinner ( you are saving money by not drinking)

Hang in there, in about 6 months all this will be worth it - congrats!!!!!

Beverly...
Level Contributor
292 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: 30th birthday and pregnant!

I bet a lot of places can make you virgin cocktails to enjoy in fancy glasses. Not sure if you are having morning sickness but it might be fun to take one of the Steamboat Jazz Cruises. I agree with the other poster about EAT!

Hartford...
Level Contributor
40 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: 30th birthday and pregnant!

Thanks for the thoughts.. I am still looking forward to our trip-even if I'm in bed early :-)

We didn't get a chance to do the Mardi Gras World museum the last time we went- is that worth the trip?

We did the Natchez last time, and I am definitely looking forward to trying it again!

Eating is my plan while we are there...hopefully this unbearable nausea subsides by then.. I've already talked to the doctor about what seafoods I can and can't eat!

I will definitely spend the money I save on drinking on shopping :-)

Nashville, TN
Level Contributor
297 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: 30th birthday and pregnant!

Eating is always a big part of any trip I plan to New Orleans with all the amazing restaurants around, so you can certainly partake in that. New Orleans is also such an interesting city that just walking in and taking in the sights is a good time to me.

I also visited at around the same time in my last pregnancy when I went for Jazz Fest 2012. I didn't miss the drinking at all (well not really lol). I think my DH made up for me. :)

Editing to add that I do think that Mardi Gras World is worth it, especially if you haven't done that before.

Edited: 12 June 2013, 14:46
12 posts
Save Reply
6. Re: 30th birthday and pregnant!

I will be there celebrating my husbands birthday the same weekend, and I will be 6 months pregnant! I'm not going to lie I am little upset about not being able to enjoy a hurricane or raw oysters while there. I'm just planning on eating a ton of great food while my husband drinks enough for both of us.

Hartford...
Level Contributor
40 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: 30th birthday and pregnant!

Stellebelle, we should introduce our husbands so they can drink..and then the two of us can go out for ice cream. Haha!

Delaware
Level Contributor
403 posts
100 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: 30th birthday and pregnant!

If you haven't been to the two museums at Jackson Square I highly recommend them as a great way to spend an afternoon in the air conditioning. We went on a rainy day just to kill time and ended up spending several hours in there. Not to mention they're a stones throw from a great breakfast at Stanley or a snack at Cafe DuMonde.

Hartford...
Level Contributor
40 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: 30th birthday and pregnant!

Last time we went we did the museum in Jackson Square. There was a Katrina exhibit at the time. I wore my sunglasses through the whole thing to cover my teary eyes. I'm assuming the exhibits change? Maybe it will be worth checking out again!

12 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: 30th birthday and pregnant!

Yes! I am looking forward to a Popsicle from Meltdown.