We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Best Post Katrina Tour

Which New Orleans hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Concord NC
Level Contributor
538 posts
8 reviews
Save Topic
Best Post Katrina Tour

We will be in town next week and we have not been there since Katrina. we are are thinking about a Katrina tour and would like some input. Who does the best tour. There will be 2 of us and my wife is having total knee replacement in 3 weeks so we want to save most of our walking for the French Quarter.

Toronto, Ontario...
Level Contributor
11,060 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Best Post Katrina Tour

It's been almost 8 years...not much to see except overgrown weeds, vacant lots, and foundations where houses once were. Here's a version of the resident's take on these tours:

huffingtonpost.com/2012/…1600347

I think they really just want to be left alone...

Missouri
Level Contributor
1,045 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Best Post Katrina Tour

Many people recommend the "Tours by Isabelle" City Tour which also includes information about Katrina devastation and recovery. Most also recommend staying away from the Gray Line tours kn big busses. Tours by Isabelle and some of the others offer van tours instead.

Bethlehem...
Level Contributor
257 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Best Post Katrina Tour

Not a tour, but I highly recommend the Katrina and Beyond exhibit at the Presbytere. Here's the link: …state.la.us/museum/…. It was emotional, inspirational, eye-opening, and a good reminder of all that this wonderful city has overcome and has yet to persevere. Only $6/pp; well worth this small investment.

New Orleans...
Level Contributor
1,877 posts
121 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Best Post Katrina Tour

For the most part, Katrina and City tours have merged into one. Anyone who tries to sell a pure "post-Katrina" tour at this time is probably just going to end up showing you the city tour highlights anyway, with a stop by the 17th Street Canal breach. Motorized tours no longer go to the lower 9th ward, either.

Orlando, Florida
Destination Expert
for New Orleans
Level Contributor
6,582 posts
121 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Best Post Katrina Tour

JJNola beat me to it...and as another poster indicated..check out the Katrina exhibit on the first floor of the Presbytre..it is very good but I avoid it...too nerve wracking after living thru it but its an accurate and good exhibit the time I was able to go thru it.

Toronto, Ontario...
Level Contributor
11,060 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Best Post Katrina Tour

GREAT alternative plan, Couple! 4 people could go for the price of one on a bus, and as JJ pointed out, they're not much more than City Tours anyway...

South Jersey
Level Contributor
178 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Best Post Katrina Tour

Diggerdon, a few years ago my husband and I asked a cab driver outside of our hotel if he would show us things/information regarding Katrina. We don't like organized tours or crowds...we would rather pay a local if they are willing than a tour company. Our cab driver took us into the Ninth Ward, told us stories, etc... It was a very humbling and unforgetable experience. But I have to agree with Hermicane...there really wasn't much to see and now after reading the Huffington Post article posted...out of respect I probably wouldn't have gone. Thank you CoupleofBeachBums for posting the link to The Presbytere...I've been to NOLA three times now and walked past that museum countless times and never knew what it was. Heading back to NOLA in mid August and I'm definitely checking that out...great way to spend your time when its raining.

Edited: 11 June 2013, 18:32
Toronto, Ontario...
Level Contributor
11,060 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Best Post Katrina Tour

"after reading the Huffington Post article posted...out of respect I probably wouldn't have gone".

...same here...

New Brunswick, New...
Level Contributor
310 posts
35 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Best Post Katrina Tour

I also recommend the exhibit. It was very moving.

10. Re: Best Post Katrina Tour

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 13 June 2014, 06:17