We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Car Parking in NOLA

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
192 posts
33 reviews
Save Topic
Car Parking in NOLA

Hello all,

Please don't hate me for asking this question - as I see it gets asked a lot.. I didn't find any threads that really answered my question :)

We are staying at the Royal St Charles Hotel (135 St. Charles Avenue) from Thursday 27th - Monday 1st and the daily charge for parking there is astronomical - and it is not even on-site. We are driving in from Atlanta airport so there's no getting around having a car - I see most of the answers to people's questions about rental cars is just plain not to get one.. That doesn't work for us.

Is anyone able to recommend a cheap car parking building in the area that might work out better for us? I guess we will be parking and leaving it there for the whole time, as we will take the advice on this forum to use the streetcars and walk (although I am a little worried about the heat!). We might take it out once or twice to go to a swamp tour or a plantation.

I read on centralparking.com that there is a lot at 1000 Poydras which charges $10 per 24 hours. Has anyone parked there? How does it work if you want to park there for several days at a time?

Thank you in advance for any help!

M :)

Free Tours by Foot
Sightseeing Tours, Walking Tours, Food Tours, Bike Tours, Ghost & Vampire Tours
Buzz Nola Bike Tours and Rentals
Sightseeing Tours, Equipment Hire, Bike Tours, City Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours
Two Chicks Walking Tours
Cultural Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours, Walking Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Private Tours
FreeWheelin' Bike Tours
Cultural Tours, Bike Tours, Equipment Hire, City Tours, Sightseeing Tours
New Orleans...
Level Contributor
222 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Car Parking in NOLA

Really it will depend on how far away you are willing to park, or how much you are willing to pay. The old correlation of price going up with convenience will hold true as you are dead on city center. Lots very close will run similar to what you are likely seeing for valet, if you are fine walking a bit you can definitely find cheaper. Heck, you could even park along the street car route for free but it would be even more of a trek to get to your car.

Edited: 12 June 2013, 19:14
Beverly...
Level Contributor
301 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Car Parking in NOLA

We are in a very similar situation as you. We are on the fence about spending the $34 a night to park at our hotel or walk a little bit and pay for a garage. Here is a link that I found on here. They have rates that will save you about $10-15 a day.

www.premiumparking.com/park/locations-nola/

Good luck!

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
697 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Car Parking in NOLA

10 bucks a day is the cheapest i ever heard of...if that location works out for you it should be fine. I drove before and people dont seem to understand the question about parking...lol. I parked at:

Rampart Street Parking

210 N Rampart Street

New Orleans, LA. 70112

(504) 529 7275

It was 18 bucks a day, and it had in/out privileges which was the cheapest i've seen within the French Quarter. I only drove the one time so this is the only garage i have experience with and it was fine.

AR
Level Contributor
3,594 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Car Parking in NOLA

Is that rate($10) at the lot on 1000 Poydras good for the weekend, or for weekdays only? I would also call the number listed to see if that is in/out and if that coupon can be used for each day or only for one day.

Destination Expert
for New Orleans
Level Contributor
8,810 posts
139 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Car Parking in NOLA

If you plan on doing any gambling at Harrah's while in NO, you can sign up for their free Rewards card and park for 24 hours if you gamble for 1/2 hour. That can be penny slots or whatever you want. My husband and I always make a trip to Harrah's when in NO, and so we allow what we would most likely spend on parking at the hotel (about $30) and put it in the slots and at least have a chance of getting something back. We have won several times, and we also get the free drinks. So while it isn't technically free parking because you do have to play for 1/2 hour, we find it much more enjoyable than just handing over $ to park in a lot.

Chicago, IL
Level Contributor
449 posts
34 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Car Parking in NOLA

I was in NO for eight nights this past March/April, staying quite near your hotel, and I parked my car on the street over in Marigny (near the corner of Rampart and Touro) for four nights in a row as I didn't need it, taking the streetcar back from the French Market stop. While some forum folk frown on this, there were ample spaces available and we did frequent several of the Marigny business upon our return to fetch the car. On that note, I will say that I have never had a better donut and coffee than at Loretta's Authentic Pralines, on the corner of Rampart and Frenchman, and the fried oysters we had at the Marigny Brasserie were the best of our trip, and we had a lot of them.

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
192 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Car Parking in NOLA

Thank you everyone for your comments and suggestions - this is what I love about the TA community! I don't mind leaving the car in a garage but I am just not sure how it works to just leave the car in the garage (or on a street, for that matter) for days at a time. Do you get a ticket indicating your arrival, and then just pay when you leave? I really want somewhere that we can dump the car when we arrive for maybe a day, then take it out for a day-trip to the swamp or a plantation, and then drop it back. Perhaps we'll try the street parking for a portion of the time in Marigny as fancode suggested...

jlr51 I am glad to see that parking at Harrah's is still possible, I did see that suggestion on the other threads from many months ago. We might consider this!

skt54 - the $10 per 24 hours coupon I printed out is valid only Mon-Thurs, unfortunately! But still might be useful for anyone else, as you're right, that is a pretty good deal - this deal can be found below, if anyone is interested:

…centralparking.com/1000-Poydras.html

College Station...
Destination Expert
for New Orleans
Level Contributor
12,135 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Car Parking in NOLA

It's not bottom dollar, but when we drive in I typically use the Premium enclosed garage on Iberville St. between Bourbon St. and Royal St. It's $21 per 24 hrs., unlimited in and outs if you prepay. It's attendant parking but there's rarely much of a wait. I tip the attendant a couple bucks each time he brings me my car.

New Orleans...
Level Contributor
2,164 posts
128 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Car Parking in NOLA

Parking maps are changing in the Marigny this summer and the entire Marigny Triangle (between Esplanade and Elysian Fields) will be subject to 2-hour limits for non-residents. FYI. A ticket costs $40 so it's not worth it if you can get reasonable lot or garage parking downtown!

Vancouver, Canada
Level Contributor
192 posts
33 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Car Parking in NOLA

Thanks for the update, JJNOLA. A ticket or being towed would really be the worst..! I understand now why people say cars are a liability in NOLA, but for those of us who can't get around it, I wish there were some more cost-effective options!