We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

New Orleans to Boston, good city/town to visit on way

queensland
Level Contributor
430 posts
181 reviews
Save Topic
New Orleans to Boston, good city/town to visit on way

Hi, I am in New Orleans now and have about 9 days to get to Boston, I can either fly or hire a car to get there and wanting to know if there are some great and interesting places to stop at along the way. If I fly I would be happy to stop off at one destination along the way if it is an interesting and great city/town but if I drive I can stop at as many good spots as there are to see, time permitting. Hope a few road enthusiasts may have some helpful advice. We are 55 and 60 Australians enjoy exploring different areas of US, enjoy good food, fabulous scenery, cute and interesting towns. Not interested too much in great night life or pub scene or ball sports.

Best Seller
Swamp Boat Adventure and Plantations...
706 reviews
from US$176.00*
Best Seller
Steamboat Natchez Jazz Dinner Cruise
941 reviews
from US$48.00*
Best Seller
New Orleans Swamp Tour by Boat
114 reviews
from US$56.00*
Special Offer
Natchez Harbor Steamboat Cruise with...
578 reviews
from US$34.00*
US$46.00
El Paso, Texas
Level Contributor
132 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
11. Re: New Orleans to Boston, good city/town to visit on way

Oh yes I agree. DC for the Smithsonian. Hershey, PA to see how the chocolates made. Philly, PA for a Pat's cheesesteak and a peak at the liberty bell. The list goes on. It just depends how far off the Google maps route you would like to go.

Birmingham, Alabama
Level Contributor
1,363 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
12. Re: New Orleans to Boston, good city/town to visit on way

I replied to this same post on the Boston forum, but thinking about it I'm inclined to recommend:

Head through Birmingham (maybe see the Civil Rights Museum) toward Chattanooga (maybe stop at Mentone) and then veer off toward the mountains...perhaps stop someplace like Snowbird Mountain Lodge in the Snowbird Mountains (WARNING: DRY COUNTY - HAVE YOUR OWN SUPPLY!!!), then up the Blue Ridge Parkway toward Ashville (Biltmore), NC toward Charlottesville (UVA and Monticello), over toward Amish Country, then toward Princeton and the Revolutionary War sites along the Delaware River - Maybe New Hope, PA? Then north and up the Taconic Parkway maybe stopping at Roosevelt's Home, Hyde Park. Up North into the Berkshires - say Hancock Shaker Village, then north to Mt. Greylock, Williamstown and North Adams with MassMoCA. Finally along Rte 2 into Boston. Lots to see along the route in addition to what I've Identified.

New Orleans...
Level Contributor
2,781 posts
Save Reply
13. Re: New Orleans to Boston, good city/town to visit on way

if there is any way your path takes you through Pennslyvania I highly reccomend the Gettysburg battlefield. amazing to say the least. very informative if you are a history buff.

Staten Island, New...
Level Contributor
16 posts
95 reviews
Save Reply
14. Re: New Orleans to Boston, good city/town to visit on way

Hello. I agree with C5LS1 but would add the Blue Ridge Parkway along the way. It is an absolutely breathtaking drive!!

queensland
Level Contributor
430 posts
181 reviews
Save Reply
15. Re: New Orleans to Boston, good city/town to visit on way

Hello Electricgirl, Thank you so much for your post and excellent tips. We have now decided to fly from New Orleans to Boston a week early and rent a car and do a side trip from Boston. We will have about 7 days before we have to be at our destination near Acton, Boston & will be in that area for about 2 weeks so we can do day trips from Acton anywhere on west of Boston. So I am now looking at what to do for my 7 days, leaving from Boston airport and coming back 7 days later to Acton. I have been to NYC, Provincetown, Kennebunk, Bar Harbor, Acadia National Park, Conway, Franconia. Do you know of any other good areas we could visit for loop trip, is Chatham, Barnstable area worth looking at. Appreciate any advice if you have time to answer

queensland
Level Contributor
430 posts
181 reviews
Save Reply
16. Re: New Orleans to Boston, good city/town to visit on way

Hi All, Thank you all for your help on my proposed road trip that I have now decided not to do, I am going to fly from NOLA to Boston and spend an extra week there doing a road trip of some sort. Appreciate all your input.

Mitchell, South...
Level Contributor
3,131 posts
Save Reply
17. Re: New Orleans to Boston, good city/town to visit on way

All the trip advice sounds fantastic. I plan to make the New Orleans to Boston trip several times over the next several years and now have alternative routes to explore.

Birmingham, Alabama
Level Contributor
1,363 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
18. Re: New Orleans to Boston, good city/town to visit on way

Missperu: Lowell - Industrial Revolution National Park;

Newport, RI - Cottages, Cliff Walk, Old Town;

Fall River - Battleship Cove;

Berkshires: Tanglewood, Clark Art Institute, Norman Rockwell Museum, Hancock Shaker Village, MassMoCA, and various "Cottages; "

Groton Submarine Museum;

Mystic Seaport;

Vermont

Edited: 24 June 2013, 14:27
19. Re: New Orleans to Boston, good city/town to visit on way

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 26 June 2014, 05:16