We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Need your vote for quick weekend restaurant itinerary

Which New Orleans hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
New York City, New...
Level Contributor
15 posts
3 reviews
Save Topic
Need your vote for quick weekend restaurant itinerary

Hi everyone! We will be in NO this weekend from Sat - Mon (leaving early) so will only have couple days to enjoy the food scene. I've read the reviews and now need your help. Please vote on our restaurant itinerary - where you think we should eat, which day and what meal (e.g. lunch, brunch, dinner). When I get back, I'll let you know where we ate and will write a review.

A little background - we are staying at the Omni Royal Orleans. We will have a car but of course if a comparable restaurant is close by, we would rather walk/take taxi. Also, would be nice to go to restaurants in different neighborhoods (FQ, Garden district, etc) but the food has to be good 1st and foremost. We live in NYC where there is plenty of Italian, ethnic, and Asian food so would prefer fresh seafood, cajun, NOLA cuisines. Would love good po' boys, grilled oysters/seafood, beignets, and anything to-die-for (cause I hear heaven is nice around this time of year).

So we need restaurants for:

* Sat Lunch (will be getting in about 1)

* Sat Dinner

* Sun Brunch

* Sun Dinner

* Early morning breakfast or grab and go (around 7 am but may skip if we had a good night)

* Snacks in between meals

Restaurants we're considering:

* GW Fins (dinner) - currently have res for 7:30 pm

* Red Gravy (brunch) - currently have res for 11 am Sun but thinking of canceling for Dante's

* Restaurant August (dinner?) - currently have res for 7:30 pm Sun

* Commander's Palace - currently have res for for 7:30 pm Sun but thinking of switching to brunch

* Cochon (Sat lunch?)

* Cochon Butcher (Sat lunch?)

* Jacques Imo's Cafe (Sat dinner?)

* Dantes (Sun brunch?)

* Cafe Du Monde - snacks

* Cafe Beignet - snacks

* Emeri's

* EAT

* Mr. B's

* R'evolution

* Herbsaint

* Brigsten's

* Hermes Bar (drinks)

* Galatoire's

* Elizabeth's (breakfast)

* Luke

Thanks in advance!

New Orleans...
Level Contributor
768 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Need your vote for quick weekend restaurant itinerary

I would swap GW Fins for Peche and swap Red Gravy for Dante's or Patois. You can't go wrong with August. Commander's is more impressive for Brunch than dinner, IMO.

Happy hour cocktails and charcuterie and Domenica is a good time.

Yes to drinks at Hermes. No to Jacques Imo's. Yes to Cochon Butcher for a casual lunch.

You'll have a lot of people who recommend Red Gravy. The owner posts here and many are quite friendly for full disclosure. I think Dante's or Patois would give you a better flavor of New Orleans and let you see a different (much prettier) part of the city.

Toronto, Ontario...
Level Contributor
11,057 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Need your vote for quick weekend restaurant itinerary

I'm one of those people who recommend Red Gravy. We ate there before we knew the owner. We return because everything on the menu is delicious. It has NOTHING to do with the fact we're friendly. Had I not been completely satisfied my first vist, I would have never gone back. And I've been completey satidfied with every visit I've had. So there's your "full disclosure"!

Mitchell, South...
Level Contributor
2,616 posts
Save Reply
3. Re: Need your vote for quick weekend restaurant itinerary

Within 1/2 block of your hotel: Napoleon House, Emeril's NOLA , K-Paul's, Original Cafe Masperos, Johnny's Po Boys, Brennan's , Antoine's . All get good reviews! Sylvain is also very close on Chartres as is Camellia Grill and Chartres House Cafe.

New Orleans...
Level Contributor
768 posts
1 review
Save Reply
4. Re: Need your vote for quick weekend restaurant itinerary

Good to know, Hermicane. Glad you've enjoyed your meals.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
10,614 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Need your vote for quick weekend restaurant itinerary

I agree with you completely Herm. I recommend Red Gravy because I think the food is delicious. I have NEVER had a bad meal there--owner present or not. If the food wasn't good I would not go back...plain and simple. The food is amazing. That's my full disclosure too.

AR
Level Contributor
3,577 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Need your vote for quick weekend restaurant itinerary

If I had such a short time in town, I would go to August, Commander's Palace, Galatoire's, Dante's and Cochon Butcher or EAT. In addition to Hermes, I would also have drinks at Arnaud's French 75, Sazerac Bar in the Roosevelt and the Davenport Lounge in the Ritz or Irwin's Mayfield Playhouse in the Royal Sonesta. In addition, I would work in Domenica's Happy Hour from 3-6:00 daily.

New Orleans...
Level Contributor
768 posts
1 review
Save Reply
7. Re: Need your vote for quick weekend restaurant itinerary

Cocktails at the Davenport Lounge on Saturday night is great. Good suggestion, skt.

El Paso, Texas
Level Contributor
132 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Need your vote for quick weekend restaurant itinerary

I vote GW Fins. It was yummy. I haven't tried Commander's Palace for brunch, but I hear great things. The service is great but I wasn't impressed with dinner. Cafe Du Monde is a must. I haven't tried Red Gravy (yet) but posters make it sound very tasty. Had a few Po Boys and Johnny's was good. Verti marte also gets the go ahead. Enjoy your eats :)

El Paso, Texas
Level Contributor
132 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Need your vote for quick weekend restaurant itinerary

Oh, and if you like sweets, especially French macarons, Sucre. So addicting!

New Orleans...
Level Contributor
1,297 posts
129 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Need your vote for quick weekend restaurant itinerary

I've heard good things about many of your maybes, such as Commander's Palace and Cochon Butcher, but haven't gotten to those places yet. Before I get into what I recommend from my 8 visits-worth of experience, I'm also a huge Red Gravy fan but I'm not hugely friendly w/ the owner, although she is a big help on this site when she has time and NEVER recommends herself, which I think says quite a bit. Now, the food :)

I love Cafe DuMonde for a late-night snack and Napoleon House should go on your list for a Pimm's Cup or two.

If it were completely up to me, your schedule would look like this:

Sat lunch @ Katie's in Mid-City or American Sector in the business district, especially if you can catch the 3-6pm happy hour at AS--that's an inexpensive way to eat at a John Besh restaurant. Luke and Domenica also both have good HH specials.

Sat dinner DEFINITELY at Bacchanal Wine, no question. It's in the Bywater, very NOLA.

Sun brunch at Red Gravy (cannoli pancakes and chicken and waffles are both to-die-for!) although Dante's is on my Try Someday List.

Sun dinner @ Commander's Palace

Mon breakfast @ either Stanley or Old Coffee Pot, both are great--or Red Gravy if you do Dante's for brunch. If you end up doing something fast we love Croissant D'Or, Johnny's Po Boys or Verti Marte--all Mon options are in the French Quarter (well, Red Gravy is just across Canal St from the FQ)

For desserts I HIGHLY recommend Sucre, as well as Angelo Brocato

Make sure you don't miss Frenchmen St one of the nights! I would recommend hitting it maybe Saturday night.