We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Restaurant vacations

Which New Orleans hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
New Orleans...
Level Contributor
3,315 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
Restaurant vacations

Just a heads up to folks coming down that we are now entering into the season when some of the restaurants here close up for vacations, so confirm ahead that they're open before you make a big effort to trudge somewhere in the heat without reservations only to find they've gone to the beach for the week. While the big places stay open throughout the summer, lots of smaller places take a break, including several around the 4th of July.

Moncton, Canada
Level Contributor
6,327 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Restaurant vacations

A good heads up highway. And everybody certainly deserves a break and a vacation, especially those mom and pops places. I know that Napolean's usually closes for a week or so during July.

Mi
Level Contributor
227 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Restaurant vacations

What is the time range for the restaurants to close. I will be arriving the first week in August. Will they be closed then?

Moncton, Canada
Level Contributor
6,327 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Restaurant vacations

Each place will be different of course. Check out the individual websites, and/or email them to find out if there's a particular place you have your heart set on.

New Orleans...
Level Contributor
222 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Restaurant vacations

Most stay open the whole way, but especially some of the smaller establishments will sometimes take a weekend in the summer off. It tends to be the slow season (though no season is truly "slow" these days). With nearing 1500 restaurants, odds are you wont even notice if a couple of them let the employees hit the beach for a few days. Its by no means a mass exodus of restaurant workers.

I know Casamentos is a favorite recommendation though and i will mention they are closed all summer, every summer.

New Orleans...
Level Contributor
3,315 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Restaurant vacations

Facebook and Twitter are more reliable than the restaurant websites in posting information about these closings. I've gotten 6-7 in the past 24 hours via FB.

New Orleans...
Level Contributor
3,315 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Restaurant vacations

Thought I'd update this thread. The list on the link is very incomplete so call ahead to be sure your place is open.

…eater.com/archives/2013/08/01/tujagues-join…

New Orleans...
Level Contributor
2,529 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Restaurant vacations

My favorite restaurant in Florida closes for September don't blame them. Not a bad month to get out of here.

New Orleans...
Level Contributor
3,315 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Restaurant vacations

Well, add Red Gravy to the list: closed August 5-9, re-opens on Aug. 10.

9. Re: Restaurant vacations

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 06 August 2014, 07:18