We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

our own booze--haha

Which New Orleans hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Poland, Ohio
Level Contributor
8,170 posts
36 reviews
Save Topic
our own booze--haha

we like to keep beer and wine in our room for nightcaps--2 ques

do they have refrig in place de armes?

is there a close market to buy liquor to keep in the room?

maryland
Destination Expert
for Baltimore
Level Contributor
2,133 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: our own booze--haha

We did not have a fridge in our room so you may want to ask ahead of time. We had beer in a small tub that we put ice in.

College Station...
Destination Expert
for New Orleans
Level Contributor
11,156 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: our own booze--haha

If you have the packing room, a collapsable ice chest can come in handy. In New Orleans, liquor, wine and beer are sold in grocery, convenience and drug stores. There is a Rouses Market less than two blocks from Place d'Armes. I consider the Rouses Market to be a minor tourist attraction in and of itself.

Anguilla...
Level Contributor
344 posts
8 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: our own booze--haha

Great advice by Loopwhole.

We never travel without 2 ice chests - a large one that we leave in the van and a smaller one that looks just like luggage. Very inexpensive in larger department stores (especially WalMart). I'll assume you're flying in so that's probably not an option. You can get pretty creative with some plastic bags and ice. We've made ice chests out of the garbage can before. Styrofoam coolers can also be purchased as well.

We don't keep them just for night caps - drinking can get expensive in NOLA. With the very liberal open container laws there (no glass containers) you can save quite a bit of money if you take your drinks with you.

It's worth noting that most bars and restaurants will have "go cups" by the door. Just ask for one. They'll pour your drink into the cup and you're off on your way. All completely legal in NOLA.

I recommend the Chart Room for inexpensive drinks and a great local color. On the corner of Chartres and Bienville.

I also recommend Sydney's Wine Celler on Decatur. It's next to Central Grocery. It has a larger selection of liquor than the Rouse's (not that you can beat the location). I mainly recommend it because you can drop in and pick up inexpensive beer (and a go-cup) for walking around. They have a wide variety of refrigerated beer, from bud/miller to craft to imports. Probably the cheapest beer you'll find in the quarter, at least craft beer wise.

Lewes, Delaware
Level Contributor
1,150 posts
233 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: our own booze--haha

I know the PdA has small refrigerators in their Junior Suites.

Toronto, Ontario...
Level Contributor
11,060 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: our own booze--haha

you can also buy a styrafoam cooler at Rouse's.

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
10,615 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: our own booze--haha

Jeez...booze never last long enough in our room :) Although we did buy a cooler once for beer until the people came to claim it!

Indianapolis
Level Contributor
792 posts
73 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: our own booze--haha

Probably a little thought about benefit when deciding whether to stay outside the Quarter in order to save a little $$. If you like to partake in drinking adult beverages, staying in the Quarter within close proximity to where you will be spending most of your time where you can easily go back to your room to fix your own drink is very nice. By staying at the Prince Conti and bringing our own booze probably saved the wife and I close to $100.00 over a four night stay this last time.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
665 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: our own booze--haha

Oh yeah, we do the exact same thing. I have never stayed at Place de Arms, but there are several places where you can get booze in the French Quarter...including a Walgreens and A CVS (which is technically across Canal St. and not in the Quarter, per se but very close) You should be able to get alcohol for your room.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
665 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: our own booze--haha

Nawlins4LIFE - For us, it probably saved us $1000.00 for a four night stay! :-)

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
3,407 posts
89 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: our own booze--haha

I know this is a older thread but I was curious do many people walk around with a cooler bags of ice for cold beer? We have a collapsable light weight cooler that goes over your shoulder we bring it on road trips foot high foot wide. We have a fridge in our room and we are outside the FQ so will need to walk 5-10 min to get there.