We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Bywater Area - Eating/Biking

Cedar Grove, New...
Level Contributor
85 posts
49 reviews
Save Topic
Bywater Area - Eating/Biking

My wife and I will be in New Orleans for essentially the first time in November. In looking through we'd be interested in eating at the Joint and/or Elizabeths. They seem a little far away from main tourist area with no transit running that way. Would biking be an acceptable/safe way of getting there? Worth it?

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
2,306 posts
1 review
Save Reply
1. Re: Bywater Area - Eating/Biking

I can only speak for Elizabeth's (breakfast) and it is worth it. It's a fun, funky area. I saw where a friend on facebook posted photos yesterday from The Joint. The BBQ looked fabulous. However, I'll have to let the locals comment as I've haven't been (yet).

Bossier City, LA
Level Contributor
2,939 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Bywater Area - Eating/Biking

The Joint is wonderful. I love there BBQ. As to biking it, only you know if you can bike that far. Personally, I couldn't do it but then it's been years since I biked anywhere. Cabs are fairly inexpensive in New Orleans. I would call a cab.

Edited: 05 July 2013, 14:21
Cedar Grove, New...
Level Contributor
85 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Bywater Area - Eating/Biking

Thanks. Not worried about being able to bike/walk it from a stamina perspective. was a little more worried about the roads there and safety of the area. I have heard certain areas of the city are a little less safe than others and unfortunately for me I don't know those areas.

Ipswich...
Level Contributor
597 posts
Save Reply
4. Re: Bywater Area - Eating/Biking

I would say Elizabeth's is about 1.5 miles from the Quarter. I would bike down Chartres or Royal. The nighborhood is fine.

Duncan, Oklahoma
Level Contributor
45 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Bywater Area - Eating/Biking

Hi Generator,

On one of my recent trips I rented a bicycle for the purpose of exploring the Bywater area. It was a great day. I rode up and down every street just gazing at architecture and dreaming in my own mind about what it must have been like in past times. The roads are rough in some places, but not for an experienced cyclist. The rental places put wider tires on the bikes so you are less likely to have trouble. I went as far as the Industrial Canal and did not go past St Claude, but that was only because I concentrated on the Bywater area. The Treme area is certainly "bikeable" also. Elizabeths is a nice stop, as well as the Cake Cafe and Satsuma. You also get a good vibe from the B&B's in the area. I think it would be a great place to live. Have fun!

New Orleans...
Level Contributor
3,454 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Bywater Area - Eating/Biking

I live in the Bywater (Louisa) and work in the Quarter (Ursulines). I've just purchased a bike and was testing the times: 12 minutes to get to work and about 15 on the way back. So no, especially if your starting point is in the Lower Quarter, it is not far at all. There are two buses serving the area, too (lines 5 and 88) and you can take your bike on the bus if you want a break.

I was at The Joint yesterday and I must mention that, other than excellent barbeque, they have the best pecan pie ever!

Both The Joint and Elizabeth's (buy a bottle of hot sauce at the latter, my fave NOLA hot sauce so far) are great places, but there are so many other great restaurants in the area: Satsuma Cafe, Booty's (check in on Yelp to get a free Bywater Bomber drink), Frady's (po -boys), Maurepas Foods, Suis Generis, Pizza Delicious, Sugar Park... to name but a few.

Enjoy the Bywater!

Blenheim, Canada
Level Contributor
11,136 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Bywater Area - Eating/Biking

BBQ AND pecan pie???? Hmmm... that may have just popped up the ranks on my "to-do" list

I DOUBT it will match Texas BBQ OR pecan pie, but hey...I'm willing to guinea-pig it! LOL!

New Orleans...
Level Contributor
3,454 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Bywater Area - Eating/Biking

Herm, never had Texas BBQ or pecan pie, so can't really compare, but I was pretty impressed with The Joint's. I'd be curious about your opinion if you do Guinea-rodent it. :-)

To the OP, I forgot to mention Bacchanal among Bywater food places and it's one of my favorite! You can choose a bottle of wine as you enter or get wine by the glass (if you're on a bike, by the glass may be a better option ;-) ) and then you can pick a few cheeses from the case. The cheeses will come with lots of bread, pickles, preserves, etc - makes for a delicious and satisfying meal.

Blenheim, Canada
Level Contributor
10,653 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Bywater Area - Eating/Biking

BBQ and pecan pie?????? Might be worth a try!!!!

New Orleans...
Level Contributor
2,712 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Bywater Area - Eating/Biking

Herm and Deny since I am going to be in Nola later this month I am willing to make a scouting trip to the Joint on behaf of Floker nation. :)