We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Are bars strict about carding?

Which New Orleans hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Beverly...
Level Contributor
278 posts
4 reviews
Save Topic
Are bars strict about carding?

Hi All,

Well wouldn't it be my luck to have my purse stolen this week while shopping at my local grocery store . I am leaving for vacation on Friday and then heading to NOLA on Sunday. I have ordered a new drivers license but it most likely will not get here in time. I am in my early 40's and I just want to make sure that I won't have any problems getting served since I won't have an id.

Thanks!

New Orleans...
Level Contributor
2,483 posts
Save Reply
1. Re: Are bars strict about carding?

You should be fine in most places. Occasionally there are bars that card everybody but for the most part no. If it happens take it as a compliment and move on.:"

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
10,615 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Are bars strict about carding?

If you LOOK young you may have a problem with carding. I've not been carded in years :( Totally agree with Bobby on this one

El Paso, Texas
Level Contributor
132 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Are bars strict about carding?

The rule of thumb for bartenders is usually to card under 40. Or those who look under 40. I was carded but I am in my late 20's. I did see others get carded who looked 16 and obviously did not have an ID, so they were turned away. Like the above poster said, you should be fine. If not, on to the next bar as there are plenty. I take it Mass doesn't issue out paper copies or give you a replacement right away when you go to the DMV.

New Orleans...
Level Contributor
3,450 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Are bars strict about carding?

I'm 46 and got carded at Lost Love Lounge a moment ago.

They should be able to give you a temporary (paper) I'D,won't they?

New Orleans...
Level Contributor
2,483 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Are bars strict about carding?

Its your hair rodent! Lol

New Orleans...
Level Contributor
3,450 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Are bars strict about carding?

LOL, Bobby, my hair is totally drenched right now. We weren't planning to go to Lost Love Lounge today but got caught in the downpour on the way back from the Quarter. Maybe they card people who look like they've just been under a drain? ;-)

Beverly...
Level Contributor
278 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Are bars strict about carding?

I was able to order my new license online. I called the DOT and they told me I would have to pay $100 plus make a trip into Boston if I wanted a rush license. Well, I don't have time to get into Boston so I am just going to wing it. I'll have to get my hubby to "buy" for me if I have any troubles. Here's a hoping one week from today I will be enjoying my first hurricane.

El Paso, Texas
Level Contributor
132 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Are bars strict about carding?

That is ridiculous. That might be the craziest pricing for a license ever. And the lost love lounge looks lovely. I need to visit that place.

maryland
Destination Expert
for Baltimore
Level Contributor
2,133 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Are bars strict about carding?

My husband was carded and his license was in the room so he showed his AARP card and had no problem and a good laugh!

Toronto, Canada
Level Contributor
10,615 posts
74 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Are bars strict about carding?

$100.00?????? Highway robbery! Good luck Electricgirl! I hope you really enjoy that first hurricane!

Cate that is just toooooo funny! Your DH doesn't even look old enough to be an AARP member :)

Edited: 08 July 2013, 00:16