We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Which hotel to pick?

New York
Level Contributor
36 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Which hotel to pick?

I am going to take the advice of a number of recent posters and cancel my reservation at the Sheraton in Metiarie.

Instead I have three other options. I am trying to be reasonable as far as cost but have a nice vacation at the same time.

I've found reasonable rates at the Hotel St. Pierre, and Historic Rathbone Mansions. The St. Pierre is about $10 per night more than the Rathbone Mansions. Or I can stay at the Sheraton in the French Quarter for about $30 more per night.

Any advice about which of these properties to choose? We will be in town for three nights for a first trip to NO.

Thanks in advance for you help.

Edited: 08 July 2013, 21:01
Destination Expert
for New Orleans
Level Contributor
8,299 posts
126 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Which hotel to pick?

Of those I would pick Sheraton French Quarter. But you might also want to check prices at Hotel St. Marie, Place dArmes, and Prince Conti which are all owned by the same family and are well regarded hotels in the French Quarter.

New Orleans...
Level Contributor
2,634 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Which hotel to pick?

If u stay at the Sheraton the Red Gravy restaurant is nearby. YUMMY

Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
2 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Which hotel to pick?

Just got back from NO 2 days ago. We stayed at the Hilton Riverside - would not recommend. I think the Sheraton if it's the one right on Canal St. would be your best bet. It's close enough (across the street) from the french quarter so a short walk to virtually everything, but far enough away that you still have some peace and quiet if you want.

Dallas, Texas...
Destination Expert
for New York City
Level Contributor
22,464 posts
25 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Which hotel to pick?

The Sheraton location is best. The St. Pierre is in the FQ but a bit off the beaten path. Not a terrible location but not ideal. Rathbone Mansions is not in the FQ. If you look at google maps, you'll see that there are no restaurants nearby. It's a bit of a long walk to the areas you will want to be. Reviews are very mixed, with quite a few terrible ones. I think quality varies by room.

If you'd like help identifying other affordable FQ options, post exact dates and target nightly price.

Unlike NYC, there's not lots of easy public transportation to get around. It's best to stay right in the walkable central areas vs on the outskirts, and it's not always wise to walk in the more deserted areas at night. It varies.

Blenheim, Canada
Level Contributor
11,122 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Which hotel to pick?

Boris...why would you NOT recommend the Hilton?

I've never been there, but always curious as to why someone would not recommend a place!

Edited: 08 July 2013, 22:39
Tucson, Arizona
Level Contributor
1,657 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Which hotel to pick?

If you've got Sheraton points, can't you use them for the one on Canal? Good choice for getting out of Metarie, btw.

I have never heard of the other two.

I'd second jlr as well, try those three hotels, and check rates at Hotel Le Marais as well.

College Station...
Destination Expert
for New Orleans
Level Contributor
11,690 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Which hotel to pick?

The Rathbone is not very well located.

I visited St. Pierre almost 2 yrs. ago to evaluate it for a then upcoming NOLA visit, and there were both cleanliness and deferred maintenance issues, not to mention a not to particularly helpful desk clerk. The reviews at that time were pretty bad. The reviews have improved quite a bit over the last year, but be skeptical of reviews from those without much other TripAdvisor writing history. See:

tripadvisor.com/Hotel_Review-g60864-d89033-R…

I'd go with the Sheraton on Canal St.

I took a quick glance at the Kayak listings for your dates. Based on that glance I would also check out the hotels mentioned above by jlr. If you go to one hotel web site, such as Prince Conti Hotel, you can see the rates and accommodation types for all of the Valentino French Quarter Hotels by entering your Stay Information, then clicking on "Show All Properties" after the initial response. Prince Conti Hotel, Place d'Armes, Hotel St. Marie, and French Market Inn all have good locations. Pay particular attention to the accommodation descriptions; you can get more information by clicking on the respective room type listings.

Edmonton, Canada
Level Contributor
2 posts
101 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Which hotel to pick?

Hermicane - this is the only Hilton that I have stayed at that I would not recommend. Read my review of the Hilton Riverside for some details. Simply not impressed with the property overall and I was quite surprised as I usually have adequate results from Hilton's.

Blenheim, Canada
Level Contributor
11,122 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Which hotel to pick?

Boris, I read your review...overall not TOO bad...and I LOVE train whistles, anytime of day or night, so that wouldn't have been a big thing for me...but...

AR
Level Contributor
3,592 posts
9 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Which hotel to pick?

Are you talking about the Sheraton on Canal or the Four Points by Sheraton which is actually in the Quarter on Bourbon St.?