We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

To visit or not to visit

new jersey
Level Contributor
305 posts
Save Topic
To visit or not to visit

Thinking of spending 5 days in NOLA the first week in August with my husband and two teenage daughters. Wondering how hot it will be and if there is enough for the girls to do given their ages. Considering Country Inn and Suites due to price point but open to suggestions and how much does it generally cost for transport from the airport?

Thanks for the advice!

Louisiana
Level Contributor
301 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: To visit or not to visit

Will it be hot? Yes. The humidity is very high this time of year. It will definitely be hot. Do what we locals do, dress cool and eat lots of snowballs and frozen drinks during the summer months. Your teenage daughters would definitly enjoy shopping on Magazine Street, a riverboat cruise, the Aquarium, shopping on Royal street, riding the streetcar through the Garden District, etc. If they are young teenagers, the Audubon Zoo has a great "Cool Zoo Water Park". As for Country Inn and Suites, I have heard from other posts that it is nice and just a short walk from the French Quarter. Hope this helps you make a decision.

maryland
Destination Expert
for Baltimore
Level Contributor
2,150 posts
15 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: To visit or not to visit

Cab ( which I highly recommend instead of the shuttle) is $ 33 plus tip for 1-2 persons. After that it is $14 / PP.

For your group of 4 it would be $56 plus tip.

You could also rebt a car but then you would need to factor in parking which can be high as well as cost of the car rental.

Moncton, Canada
Level Contributor
6,409 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: To visit or not to visit

Since it'll be August, might be an idea to get a hotel directly in the French Quarter as usually that's where most people spend a lot of their time? You'll appreciate being able to run back and forth to the hotel to cool off and change clothes (it's going to be hot and sweaty, you'll be changing clothes at some point). But the advantage of going this time of year is that hotel prices are at their lowest.

I read somewhere that someone once said that August in NO is like trying to walk through pea soup while wearing a fur coat.

San Jose, California
Destination Expert
for California
Level Contributor
16,058 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: To visit or not to visit

A good strategy for summer is to stay in the FQ at a hotel with a courtyard pool. Sightsee in the mornings, have a good lunch, then hang out at the pool in the afternoons to escape the heat. Then go back out in the late afternoon/early evenning.

New York City, New...
Level Contributor
2,366 posts
3 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: To visit or not to visit

>>> "I read somewhere that someone once said that August in NO is like trying to walk through pea soup while wearing a fur coat."

- - - - - - - - - - - -

Ha! That, and "...like being basted with slowly melting ham fat."

New Orleans...
Level Contributor
3,454 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: To visit or not to visit

I've had it described to me as walking through hot jelly in a fur coat. It's pretty accurate. My husband compared it to being inside someone's mouth (don't ask me how he knows that).

But still worth it.

Edited: 13 July 2013, 20:07
new jersey
Level Contributor
305 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: To visit or not to visit

Any ideas on a reasonable hotel in the French Quarter then? Still concerned about the heat and humidity and evening activities for the girls.

Thanks for the feedback thus far!

Orlando, Florida
Destination Expert
for New Orleans
Level Contributor
6,638 posts
123 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: To visit or not to visit

Check out placedarmes, st marie, or frenvh market inn-marquis rooms/those have been renovated

San Jose, California
Destination Expert
for California
Level Contributor
16,058 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: To visit or not to visit

Place d'Armes would be my choice - central location, good rates, courtyard pool. Get a room that opens ontothe courtyard where to pool is.

El Paso, Texas
Level Contributor
132 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: To visit or not to visit

Haha I love the analogies. Am I the only one who loves humidity? Must be because I'm stuck in 105 degree dry heat. Anywho, you should definitely visit. There is tons of family friendly things to do and great food to eat.