We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Closest drive to a Florida beach that serves alcohol?

Which New Orleans hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
San Jose, California
4 posts
Save Topic
Closest drive to a Florida beach that serves alcohol?

My boyfriend and I are in our mid-20s and are going to New Orleans around September. We have several days and were hoping to spend a day in Florida and we had heard that some beaches have either bars or drink service. Finding one is not turning out to be as easy as I thought it would be. Any reccomendations? We're hoping for the drive to be no more than 3 hours or so since we will be returning to New Orleans for the night.

We love a good old fashioned beautiful beach but this time we are looking for a place where having a drink is not only allowed but encouraged. Thank you!

New Orleans...
Level Contributor
1,297 posts
129 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Closest drive to a Florida beach that serves alcohol?

PCB FL is way too far away...are Gulfport MS, Gulf Shores AL and Orange Beach AL all nos? Is there no way to do a night or two away if you really want a bit of beach?

Willington...
Destination Expert
for Curacao
Level Contributor
5,167 posts
138 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Closest drive to a Florida beach that serves alcohol?

If you want a beach where drinking is encouraged, you should stay the night.

New Orleans...
Level Contributor
1,877 posts
121 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Closest drive to a Florida beach that serves alcohol?

It's too far to drive to Florida for a day trip....3.5 hours each way and that's if traffic/road construction/the Mobile Tunnel all cooperate!

I would guess the big "no no" is glass containers, much as it is in New Orleans. While I know you're looking for a beach that is specifically alcohol-friendly, my guess is that a beer in a paper or plastic cup won't cause a lot of issues as long as you aren't intoxicated.

Toronto, Ontario...
Level Contributor
11,060 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Closest drive to a Florida beach that serves alcohol?

I agree with ralphy. You'll be in New Orleans, you'll have access to some of the best drinks and food and music on earth, WHY would you want to drink and drive?

JJ, you also forgot to mention the weather can play a HUGE factor driving in September.

Birmingham, Alabama
Level Contributor
1,209 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Closest drive to a Florida beach that serves alcohol?

Well, for a real Southern treat you should make the haj to the Florabama which straddles the Alabama/Florida line just east of Orange Beach. A little bit of redneck heaven exuding a tacky dive vibe that just screams "You're not in Kansas anymore."

El Paso, Texas
Level Contributor
132 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Closest drive to a Florida beach that serves alcohol?

Is your goal to be there for Spring Break? The panhandle is popular for that. I'm not sure what their laws are about alcohol on the beach. I would head to the Panama City or Pensacola Beach forum to get more information for that. The only place in Florida that I have been that has what you are referring to is South Beach, Miami, and that my friend, is going to be a long drive. I would stay in NOLA. Great food and great people. And they do encourage you to drink.

Edited: 18 July 2013, 15:29
Tyler, Texas
Level Contributor
7,117 posts
117 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Closest drive to a Florida beach that serves alcohol?

You do want the Florabama. I 10 to 59 for Gulf Shores Alabama, take a left at the beach and go east until the Florida state line and the Florabama. If you like oysters they have them too

El Paso, Texas
Level Contributor
132 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Closest drive to a Florida beach that serves alcohol?

There are oysters in NOLA as well.

Louisiana
Level Contributor
300 posts
29 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Closest drive to a Florida beach that serves alcohol?

I agree with the suggestion to drive to Orange Beach, but spend the night at the beach rather than make the 3 hour drive back to N.O. the same day. There are hotels on the beach and since it will be off season check and see if you can stay one night. Spend the day relaxing on the beach with your cooler full of booze, party at the FloraBama at night and head back to NOLA early the next day. The beaches in Alabama are beautiful.

San Jose, California
4 posts
Save Reply
10. Re: Closest drive to a Florida beach that serves alcohol?

We've already booked everything in NOLA and someone said in passing that it would be a short drive to find a beach in Florida. It seems that's not true...we dont plan to get wasted all day and drunk drive back. Moreso getthere early have a cheesy beachy drink or two, have dinner and drive back afterwards. Were not really the spring break type. Unfortunately we seem to have planned poorly.