We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Short Honeymoon for 27 year olds: Where to stay?

Hartford...
Level Contributor
1,237 posts
Save Topic
Short Honeymoon for 27 year olds: Where to stay?

My daughter and her soon to be husband are planning a short trip to New Orleans for a long weekend right after their late August wedding. They are considering the Omni Royal and the Hotel Monteleone. They're leaning towards the Monteleone. Good choices? Any other place in the Quarter they should consider? Thanks.

Edited: 25 July 2013, 12:25
Maryland
Level Contributor
1,189 posts
69 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Short Honeymoon for 27 year olds: Where to stay?

Good choices. And Hotel Monteleone has some great summer prices in August. Congrats to them!

Hartford...
Level Contributor
1,237 posts
Save Reply
2. Re: Short Honeymoon for 27 year olds: Where to stay?

Thanks for your reply. Yes, prices are great at that time; I hope the weather cooperates! I wondered if these hotels were too 'traditional' for a young couple.

Any other places they should consider in the Quarter that are upscale? Thanks again.

Schulenburg, Texas
Level Contributor
1,828 posts
41 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Short Honeymoon for 27 year olds: Where to stay?

Both are excellent choices. The Monteleone has a bit more old world charm, IMO, and for that reason, I prefer it. The Carousel Bar is another feather in its cap. But you cannot go wrong with either. Congratulations to the couple!

Blenheim, Canada
Level Contributor
11,112 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Short Honeymoon for 27 year olds: Where to stay?

I, too, think the Monteleone is gorgeous (and LOVE the Carousel bar!) but...for a weekend after wedding, a balcony room at the Omni would be grand! Whatever they choose, congrats to them! :)

Orlando, Florida
Destination Expert
for New Orleans
Level Contributor
6,592 posts
123 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Short Honeymoon for 27 year olds: Where to stay?

Now to be contrary...I prefer the Omni Royal for its combination of elegance and NO charm...Each time at the Monteleone I found the rooms given to be very small and beds short..maybe just bad luck?

Maryland
Destination Expert
for Las Vegas, Washington DC, County Donegal, Western Ireland
Level Contributor
52,986 posts
47 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Short Honeymoon for 27 year olds: Where to stay?

"Each time at the Monteleone I found the rooms given to be very small and beds short..maybe just bad luck?"

Not really, their basic rooms ARE small. I really like the property, but from experience I know never to book what they call their "traditional" rooms. I have to go with the "preferred" rooms or, if the budget is working for me, I really like the Vieux Carre Suites.

Hartford...
Level Contributor
1,237 posts
Save Reply
7. Re: Short Honeymoon for 27 year olds: Where to stay?

Thanks, everyone. I'll share your feedback with the nearly newlyweds.

College Station...
Destination Expert
for New Orleans
Level Contributor
11,571 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Short Honeymoon for 27 year olds: Where to stay?

Monteleone has a bit more charm and a very cool bar; Omni Royal Orleans has a bit better location, some balcony rooms and a somewhat nicer pool. Being in older buildings, there is quite a bit of disparity between rooms at each hotel, requiring a careful review of each respective website if room size is important.

If they would prefer a smaller "boutique" hotel to a larger "full service" hotel, they could consider Place d'Armes, Hotel Mazarin, W French Quarter or Hotel Le Marais. Le Marais and W French Quarter, though "NewOrleanish", are kind of hip and trendy.

Edited: 25 July 2013, 16:50
Hartford...
Level Contributor
1,237 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Short Honeymoon for 27 year olds: Where to stay?

Thank-you!

Blenheim, Canada
Level Contributor
11,112 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Short Honeymoon for 27 year olds: Where to stay?

let us know what they decide! :)