We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Rain this weekend in NOLA?? what to do when it rains?

Brooklyn, New York...
Level Contributor
3 posts
53 reviews
Save Topic
Rain this weekend in NOLA?? what to do when it rains?

I see there is a high chance of thunderstorms in NOLA for July 26-28.

What can we do if our vacation tuns into a wash?

New Orleans...
Level Contributor
3,454 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Rain this weekend in NOLA?? what to do when it rains?

Summer thunderstorms here are intense, but they don't last a whole day. Just make sure to have a plastic bag for any electronics (said the person who lost the camera function in her phone after a downpour a few weeks ago :( ) in case the rain catches you out and about. If you're indoors when it starts raining, have a drink and wait it out, then continue with your plans. :)

Brooklyn, New York...
Level Contributor
3 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Rain this weekend in NOLA?? what to do when it rains?

thank you. My Husband is driving me crazy, like I control the weather LOL

College Station...
Destination Expert
for New Orleans
Level Contributor
11,948 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Rain this weekend in NOLA?? what to do when it rains?

Checking AccuWeather, I see "a shower or thunderstorm around" for Friday, "a thunderstorm in the afternoon" for Saturday, and "a shower or thunderstorm around" for Saturday. Typically this means to expect some scattered mid to late afternoon rain. These showers are common mid June to early September, and usually last less than an hour or so.

Find a dry place in the French Quarter with a view a the street, relax, and enjoy a cocktail. As Blanche Dubois asks in Tennessee Williams' A Streetcar Named Desire:

“Don't you just love those long rainy afternoons in New Orleans when an hour isn't just an hour - but a little piece of eternity dropped into your hands - and who knows what to do with it?”

Lewes, Delaware
Level Contributor
1,150 posts
235 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Rain this weekend in NOLA?? what to do when it rains?

Don't pack an umbrella, but if you need one, the FQ drug stores have inexpensive one's for $5.00. I'm thinking of the one on Decatur, upriver from Jackson Square, it might be a Walgreen's. I'm sure other places have them too. Then use your new umbrella to walk the narrower streets of the Quarter, and I find it so photogenic to get the reflected lights off the wet streets.

New Orleans...
Level Contributor
1,419 posts
97 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: Rain this weekend in NOLA?? what to do when it rains?

You can pop into one of the smaller museums...like the Cabildo or the Apothocary or the Southern Food and Bevrage (my favourite).

There is usually a cooking demonstration in the French Market around 2ish on Saturdays, covered and with ceiling fans, too.

Have a drink and a snack.

Get a massage.

Shop.... (just please leave your umbrella at the entrances!)

And don't worry...the storms never last all that long!

Brooklyn, New York...
Level Contributor
3 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Rain this weekend in NOLA?? what to do when it rains?

Thank You all. Looking forward to my Trip.... A little rain wont stop the party!!

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
693 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Rain this weekend in NOLA?? what to do when it rains?

Honestly, I would bring a raincoat or something and do the exact same things you usually would do.

Orlando, Florida
Destination Expert
for New Orleans
Level Contributor
6,648 posts
123 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Rain this weekend in NOLA?? what to do when it rains?

cheap poncho's are in Walgreens if necessary...it doesn't rain in museums, gift stores, restaurants, or bars...did I mention bars...it doesn't rain in the bars.

San Jose, California
Destination Expert
for California
Level Contributor
16,150 posts
111 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: Rain this weekend in NOLA?? what to do when it rains?

I love (love love love) summer thunderstorms in New Orleans. It will be hotter than Hades, then the sky will darken with all the thunder clouds, the light gets strange, the air feels charged...and then it starts raining, with thunder and lightning - and sometimes it REALLY rains. The air drops several degrees and everything gets all washed and clean. When it stops, the air is fresh and just wonderful.

So, while it is raining, find a place to have a drink by a window (open preferably) and watch the show. Or visit a museum, historic house, etc. as mentioned. We tours Gallier House during a heck of a thunderstorm one time - the lightning and electricity in the air made all the copper pots buzz :)

New York City
Level Contributor
76 posts
53 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Rain this weekend in NOLA?? what to do when it rains?

Was walking around the Quarter one afternoon on May 31 and It suddenly started POURING rain. I quickly ram into the nearest building, which happened to be the bar in the RIBROOM! There were other folks there who had the same idea, and I had fun drinking & talking with them until the rain stopped. It was great!