We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

A quick visit

Which New Orleans hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Greenville, South...
Level Contributor
2 posts
12 reviews
Save Topic
A quick visit

My son and I are going to be in New Orleans briefly next week, driving in from elsewhere, spending the night and taking Amtrak the next morning. We'll probably only have five or six hours before bedtime, and I'm wondering about the best approach for such a quick trip.

I've been to NOLA, but it was more than 20 years ago. My son is 13, and I'd like to give him as much of a taste of the city as we can get in just a few hours. We're staying on St. Charles Street, and we'll have to drop off our rental car at the airport and get back to downtown at some point in the evening. How is the bus from the airport (I'm trying to stay within a budget)? Any suggestions of great places to eat in the vicinity of St. Charles?

Thanks!

Moncton, Canada
Level Contributor
6,327 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: A quick visit

As you only have a few hours in NO, pay the money and take a cab back from the airport (flat rate of 33$ for the 2 of you). You'll appreciate having every single minute you can spare.

As for what to do, so many things to do. You can take a carriage ride to see the Quarter, walk around and listen to great music and look at all the great artist, have beignets at Cafe du Monde, maybe take in an evening gosht/haunted tour? Seems like the kind of thing a 13year old boy would enjoy.

College Station...
Destination Expert
for New Orleans
Level Contributor
11,040 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: A quick visit

You don't mention where on St. Charles Ave. (long street) you are staying, and that would factor into your choice between cab and bus, and a choice for convenient dining. Generally, I would agree with Porelly, the $33 fixed fare taxicab is the most convenient transportation from the Airport to Central Business District, and will save you time. The bus is more geared towards commuting employees than out-of-town travelers. However, there are some specific circumstances where the bus is almost as convenient as a cab, and more convenient that the Airport Shuttle. For a discussion of the Airport Bus see:

tripadvisor.com/ShowTopic-g60864-i34-k658998…

Greenville, South...
Level Contributor
2 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: A quick visit

Thanks Porelly and Loopwhole! That's all very helpful to know. I guess the cab is the better option since it's what? 30-35 minutes from airport to city?

Beignets at Café Du Monde are definitely on our to-do list. BTW, we're staying at Maison St. Charles.

When I was in NOLA 20 years ago, I ate at Michaul's. I notice it's still around (and is on St. Charles); does anyone know if it still has a good reputation? I loved it back then, but I know that restaurants can change over the years.

4. Re: A quick visit

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 July 2014, 05:17