We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

this is it---the last day

Poland, Ohio
Level Contributor
8,956 posts
39 reviews
Save Topic
this is it---the last day

this morning we lounged in our room---not out of choice but because i needed to print out our boarding passes for southwest in the lobby of the hotel . we had plans of exploring algiers point leaving in the morning------then hightailing it to erin rose to catch the van to do the rum tour. little did i know that the front desk would have printed them for us. so this was plan b.

we got to erin rose---ate some killer poboys---they were yummy. grilled shrimp, cucumbers, carrots, sauce on french crusty bread $12. erin rose has hh 10-2 some decent drinks. i had champagne without the oj---they also have $3 bloody mary, irish coffee, and a few others. then i spotted the jeremiah weed and we did a shot. our guide picked us up for our $10 rum tour. it was pretty cool---they start you with a drink and after the tour---shots of all their rums are given.

after the tour, we walked to canal ferry to take the ride to algiers point. it was too hot to walk around---so we just took pictures, rode back and hit harrahs. we stayed a few hours and then headed to relax and get a shower before going out.

we decided to walk around and just picked a restaurant called the old coffee pot restaurant on st. peter. we both had the shrimp and redfish creole$17---excellent. next we went to bourbon st, listened to troy turner at chris owens(great blues---the man can play a mean guitar).

tomorrow we head home with many great memories and a few extra pounds. or is it many pounds and a few extra memories?

Free Tours by Foot
Sightseeing Tours, Walking Tours, Food Tours, Bike Tours, Ghost & Vampire Tours
The Voodoo Bone Lady Haunted Tours
Cultural Tours, Ghost & Vampire Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours, Walking Tours, Sightseeing Tours
Buzz Nola Bike Tours and Rentals
Sightseeing Tours, Equipment Hire, Bike Tours, City Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours
Two Chicks Walking Tours
Cultural Tours, Historical & Heritage Tours, Walking Tours, Sightseeing Tours, Private Tours
College Station...
Destination Expert
for New Orleans
Level Contributor
12,104 posts
2 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: this is it---the last day

Enjoying your report! If you have a smart phone and download the Southwest Airlines app, you can check in with Southwest on the phone, securing your boarding number, then print out your passes whenever.

Moncton, Canada
Level Contributor
6,409 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: this is it---the last day

Glad you had a good time, txs for sharing.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
697 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: this is it---the last day

One other piece of possibly worthless info, at least for the return trip consider paying 12.50 for "early bird check-in" on Southwest. You get automatically checked in, ALMOST always in the A boarding group, and you dont even have to log in to do it. Then just print your boarding pass by the luggage check.

Also, even though I dont care much for rum your rum tour has made me curious and I think I'll try it next time!

Poland, Ohio
Level Contributor
8,956 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: this is it---the last day

never thought of the early bird thing---and loop---don't have the smartphone but thx.

chris go for the rum tour---it's not long and worth the $10 in booze--lol only 1 rum i didn't like.

forgot to mention ---a restaurant here has a chef that has my unusual last name. we stopped to see him and we are probably relatives by our similar backgrounds---saw our family crest---it was neat.

anyway--gotta go finish packing---whatever you do in nola---have a blast

Orlando, Florida
Destination Expert
for New Orleans
Level Contributor
6,680 posts
123 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: this is it---the last day

I wonder if the rum you didn't like was the Gingeroo...I got some just to use as a cooking rum with butter and garlic etc. for dishes like shrimp or redfish.

Poland, Ohio
Level Contributor
8,956 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: this is it---the last day

Cajun---absolutely right---could be because ther was 20% booze in it--lol

7. Re: this is it---the last day

-:- Message from TripAdvisor staff -:-

This topic has been closed to new posts due to inactivity. We hope you'll join the conversation by posting to an open topic or starting a new one.

To review the TripAdvisor Forums Posting Guidelines, please follow this link: http://www.tripadvisor.com/pages/forums_posting_guidelines.html

We remove posts that do not follow our posting guidelines, and we reserve the right to remove any post for any reason.

Removed on: 28 July 2014, 06:21