We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

How much cash is needed

Which New Orleans hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
Dammam, Saudi Arabia
Level Contributor
173 posts
7 reviews
Save Topic
How much cash is needed

Spending 12 days in NOLA first time and very excited only 8 days to go yay. Hotel taken care of but not sure on how much cash to have for social activities. My friend and I plan to do a gator tour, walking tour and a rum distillery tour the rest is going to be eating/drinking lots of that lol and shopping. Any advice much appreciated.

Tyler, Texas
Level Contributor
6,925 posts
115 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: How much cash is needed

Do you really mean " cash"? As opposed to credit cards. Or do you mean "How much will I spend" which is very subjective.

Toronto, Ontario...
Level Contributor
11,057 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: How much cash is needed

Most of what you need can be put on a credit card. If you need cash, there are ATM's EVERYWHERE, altho ALL charge a fee. Hitting on what Felschurch said, how much you will spend totally depends on how you are and what you do. My sis and I live very "cheaply" at home, rarely ever eat out (I love to cook!) and don't buy much as we're not very materialistic...but in NOLA...we spend like Congress!!!!

Moncton, Canada
Level Contributor
6,327 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: How much cash is needed

Always have cash on you. There are some smaller mom and pop places that only take cash, and it's always better to pay cash at the bars in NO in my opinion, since you usually go in and out of a lot of places.

Chicago, Illinois
Level Contributor
650 posts
27 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: How much cash is needed

After our airfare and hotel is paid for, we budget about 200 bucks per day as a couple for spending money.

Kansas City
Level Contributor
5,990 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
5. Re: How much cash is needed

It will depend on what you do. You can find cheaper eats if that is important. There are decent food options in every price range.

You can also find cheaper ways to drink, you can carry them on the street as long as it is not glass so it would be possible to buy beer at groceries rather than in bars. Dive bars have cheap drinks. Draft beer specials abound. I have heard some people say the keep liquor and mixers in their rooms and carry big cups on the street, returning for refills when necessary. Not for me, but if you need to economize that is an option. Be aware that if you want to hear live music however, drinks will cost more. You should also budget money to tip if you plan to drink in live music venues. New Orleans musicians in most venues are paid only a nominal amount and survive mainly on tips. $5 a set is a reasonable tip in most establishments.

You could, as a PP suggested, get by on $200 a day for a couple, perhaps less if you are careful or you could spend considerably more.

On our first day in town we are usually on a tear and could spend twice that much, but the second day, (for obvious reasons), it is usually less.

New York, NY
Level Contributor
204 posts
39 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: How much cash is needed

I would say $200 a day is a fair estimate for a couple, but some days when doing tours or eating at more pricey places then I would budget in some more. With that said, there could be days when you would spend less as well. Does your hotel include breakfast and will you be drinking every day? Is that a stupid question??? Most likely!! Fair to say around $150 a day per person.

Dammam, Saudi Arabia
Level Contributor
173 posts
7 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: How much cash is needed

Thanks for all the advice we have budgeted 200 cash per day plus cards. Soooooooo excited cannot wait

Destination Expert
for New Orleans
Level Contributor
7,504 posts
115 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: How much cash is needed

I think you will be fine with $200 per day. My husband and I usually figure $150 - $200 cash per day and that has always been plenty for us.

Beverly...
Level Contributor
274 posts
4 reviews
Save Reply
9. Re: How much cash is needed

Be sure and carry lots of small bills on you. We tipped a lot in New Orleans. I was only in town for three days but I found one day we did the fancy restaurants and the next we were happy with pub/lighter fare. Have a great time. I really liked the Honey Island Swamp tour.

Regina, Canada
Level Contributor
318 posts
10 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: How much cash is needed

$200 a day after accommodation? Yes you can get by on that. Or else my tastes are much cheaper than others here. I only hit one top restaurant a trip and usually carefully plan music and entertainment in advance, which is simplified by knowing Tuesdays and Thursdays will be spent with Rebirth at the Leaf and Kermit at Vaughns...

On our first visit we got a lot of the expensive things out of the way on a Road Scholar program out of the Royal Sonesta and including two meals a day at the city's best restaurants. At $2500 for five days and including lectures and tours it was actually a very reasonably priced introduction to the history and culture of NOLA. I figured the music and drinking parts out by myself and with help from kind folks here...

Y'all know who you are.