We noticed that you're using an unsupported browser. The TripAdvisor website may not display properly.
We support the following browsers:
Windows: Internet Explorer, Mozilla Firefox, Google Chrome. Mac: Safari.

Anything interesting in Metairie?

Which New Orleans hotels are on sale?
dd/mm/yyyy dd/mm/yyyy
See hotels
New Orleans...
Level Contributor
3,450 posts
11 reviews
Save Topic
Anything interesting in Metairie?

We need to get there today to finally get our Louisiana state ID's. Since it looks like the cab each way is probably going to be around the price of the airport cab, I was wondering if there's anything else to do once we're there. Is the area within walking distance of the DMV office (100 Veterans Blv) completely boring and utilitarian (as in - just for doing stuff of practical nature) or is there any restaurant or otherwise interesting place that would be worth stopping by? I'm strongly suspecting the former but wouldn't want to miss on anything in case of the latter.

New Orleans...
Level Contributor
1,877 posts
121 reviews
Save Reply
1. Re: Anything interesting in Metairie?

The DMV is located in Orleans Parish right before it becomes Metairie. Very residential. Not much around it! Since the DMV is in Orleans, you can take the Canal Streetcar and connect to RTA's 45 Lakeside bus for $1.50 total, though.

New Orleans...
Level Contributor
3,450 posts
11 reviews
Save Reply
2. Re: Anything interesting in Metairie?

Thanks, JJ. I searched the net some days ago and actually found a thread here on TA (from a few years ago) in which Highway advised someone to take a cab for getting to Metairie. But I didn't take into consideration where exactly in Metairie the person wanted to go. This is a big help, thanks once again!!!

wish it was marigny
Level Contributor
63 posts
16 reviews
Save Reply
3. Re: Anything interesting in Metairie?

Oh yes! I have NO idea how close you will be but the original Drago's is at 3232 N.Arnoult Rd. The BEST chargrilled oysters in the world. BIG difference from the ones at Drago's in the Hilton. I think they are 10 times better.

Hope this helps!

Courtney

Toronto, Ontario...
Level Contributor
11,060 posts
6 reviews
Save Reply
4. Re: Anything interesting in Metairie?

just Googled it Courtney--it's about 1.5 miles. If the weather is nice, Rodent, about a 30-45 minute walk, depending on how fast you're walking. Google doesn't give a bus route--just walking.

Edited: 31 July 2013, 17:26
New Orleans...
Level Contributor
222 posts
Save Reply
5. Re: Anything interesting in Metairie?

Can do the one on Airline Drive and its near the saints practice facility - they have some open practices with camp starting up.

Greenwood, Louisiana
Level Contributor
2,495 posts
22 reviews
Save Reply
6. Re: Anything interesting in Metairie?

The Saints training facility is in Metairie-5800 Airline Drive. Training camp is going on right now and it's open to the public. If you see Drew, please give him a hug for me.

And I have eaten at the original Drago's-just as good as the one at the Hilton, but I don't think it is any better.

Moncton, Canada
Level Contributor
6,327 posts
49 reviews
Save Reply
7. Re: Anything interesting in Metairie?

Getting your LA state ID's...wow! Now that something to celebrate!!

New Orleans...
Level Contributor
1,877 posts
121 reviews
Save Reply
8. Re: Anything interesting in Metairie?

The Airline facility closed when Veterans opened. It was a temporary bldg, I believe.

New Orleans...
Level Contributor
222 posts
Save Reply
9. Re: Anything interesting in Metairie?

Ah, i didnt realize airline closed. Its been probably 6-8 months since I have had to run out there last.

New Orleans...
Level Contributor
3,314 posts
12 reviews
Save Reply
10. Re: Anything interesting in Metairie?

Wish I'd seen this earlier. If you got there today and got your documents today, consider yourself very lucky. If not, my suggestion (if you want to get out in one day) is that you get there as early as possible (preferably at 8 AM, but no later than 9 AM). We've had to go several times recently in connection with getting daughter's DL. It is very crowded and waits can be very long. Finally got the license after waiting nearly 7 hours last Wednesday.

There is a new "express" office in the Rivertown area of Kenner. Express means they provide some, not all services, so for instance they don't do road tests that my daughter needed. If you didn't already get it done today, you may want to try Kenner instead.

Channel 4 came in to do shoot video and interview irritated consumers for this story while we were waiting:

wwltv.com/news/Kenner-Rivertown-gets-new-OMV…